• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sony is in a Goldilocks situation right now imo.

1. They have a machine that nearly every third party makes games for.
2. These third parties have pivoted to make more MP or GAAS type games. Not every game obviously, but many of them.
3. Sony strength has always been big budget AAA SP games. The type of game third parties have moved from.

Playstation has the games to satisfy nearly every type of gamer. Indies, AAA SP, AAA MP, third parties, GAAS, etc etc.

Honestly, not MS or Nintendo have this perfect situation right now.

Yeah, when PS4 came out I was more hopeful that Steam Machines would be a viable thing and I could do most of my "console" gaming on a livingroom PC. But with so many iconic exclusives and 3rd party focus, buying a PS4 was just the cost of "gaming". I.e. if you want to be in touch with modern games, you have to own a Playstation.

It seems even more true going into the PS5 era.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
No.

Psn makes money hand over fist. Just psn alone in 2018 made more than the ENTIRETY of Nintendo in 2018.

Not denying that, and not implying Sony should get out of the hardware business. But I do wonder if the strategic value of exclusives is less important than the sales potential of their games. If God of War would be a 20-30M seller as a multiplat. Maybe Playstation is in a strong enough it doesn't need exclusives.

Also, and maybe more urgently, if cloud gaming is going to eventually supplant local hardware, are SIE games strong enough that Sony would continue producing AAA (i'd argue AAAA) games without the corporate synergy factor.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Not denying that, and not implying Sony should get out of the hardware business. But I do wonder if the strategic value of exclusives is less important than the sales potential of their games. If God of War would be a 20-30M seller as a multiplat. Maybe Playstation is in a strong enough it doesn't need exclusives.

Also, and maybe more urgently, if cloud gaming is going to eventually supplant local hardware, are SIE games strong enough that Sony would continue producing AAA (i'd argue AAAA) games without the corporate synergy factor.

Same question could be applied to Nintendo then no? why keep pokemon, Mario and Zelda exclusive to switch when they could sell a ton more going multiplatform?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Where's Vita (from the slides but sorry if its not relevant to the thread)

BGO5B8c.png

Oct 25, 2017

I think stuff like PS Now will be used to leverage bases outside of PS hardware. That is why streaming is becoming so important.

The PC folk, for example, who wouldn't have otherwise put money toward first party will provide revenue through PS Now. It wouldn't be going directly toward something like God of War but it adds to the pot either way.

I also think the big picture is for people to invest in the PS ecosystem more than any single game total sales.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Same question could be applied to Nintendo then no? why keep pokemon, Mario and Zelda exclusive to switch when they could sell a ton more going multiplatform?

In the case of Nintendo, I'm even more convinced they should be publishing on all platforms. Nintendo voluntarily opted-out of leading the industry a long time ago. They've still had major profit success, so good for them. But as a gamer, I find their hardware/os/network to be a major impediment to enjoying their often-great games.

And even they seem to be dipping their toes in a more platform-agnostic approach since the phenomenon of Pokemon Go.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think stuff like PS Now will be used to leverage bases outside of PS hardware. That is why streaming is becoming so important.

The PC folk, for example, who wouldn't have otherwise put money toward first party will provide revenue through PS Now. It wouldn't be going directly toward something like God of War but it adds to the pot either way.

I also think the big picture is for people to invest in the PS ecosystem more than any single game total sales.

Yeah that's true about PC gamers. That's why I think streaming is going to be so potent (assuming the latency and video quality issues are mostly resolved). The potential "PC" market for streaming is way bigger than the "PC gaming" market. I have a gaming PC, but most of my computer time is on an integrated-graphics ultrabook. Streaming will include my ultrabook as a gaming platform where traditional PC platforms don't (indie games aside, yada yada).

I guess my question is whether it's more profitable in the longterm for Sony to sell The Last of Us 2 to every ultrabook, chromecast, smartphone and console user, or leverage the Last of Us 2 to sell more PS4/5s.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It seems to me they are exploring that option with streaming, despite what the Nintendo fans might think on this forum.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Sooo good! Might be too late now and the GoW sequel will probably vilify Thor but I'd love it if Santa Monica got to do a proper big budget Thor game! The brilliant axe mechanic is what made GoW deserve all the awards for me.

Just wait Until Kratos kills Thor and then gets his Hammer

Knowing Kratos I guess Thor will end up getting his head smashed in with his own Hammer

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Man...Sony killed it this generation. What a barrage of high-profile, well executed and technologically mesmerising software.

Bravo PlayStation WWS.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
How many 10m+ selling PS4 exclusive titles does that make this gen. Five?

There's the three in the graph. Horizon was confirmed over 10M and I think Spiderman was confirmed over 9M as of November last year. TLOU 2 might be the sixth.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Funny to think that some american journalists downplayed Sony exclusives in the ps3, 360 age.... But even then, they were good sellers worldwide, but because npd and those people only focused in the USA.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Congrats to SSM. They created one of the best games ever and also breathed new life and momentum into one of my favorite IPs.

Really can't wait to see what they have cooking for PS5.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Because I got pounced on by four different people for daring to suggest 10 million isn't something worth frothing at the mouth with excitement over? I thought God of War was a bigger exclusive than both Uncharted and GT these days. I'm sorry for not staying up to date.

Now I know why NPD and Media Create threads are ghost towns. They're toxic and cliquey as fuck where people get attacked for daring to post if they're not experts on videogame sales numbers...

Have a wonderful day.

Dude, you came into a sales celebration thread, downplayed the success and made a comparison with another game on another platform.

What did you think was going to happen? You'd be greeted with a fanfare and ticker tape parade?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How many 10m+ selling PS4 exclusive titles does that make this gen. Five?

There's the three in the graph. Horizon was confirmed over 10M and I think Spiderman was confirmed over 9M as of November last year. TLOU 2 might be the sixth.

Yeah 5

TLOU2 will be the sixth

There is also Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima still coming, both definitely have potential

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

If cloud gaming took over, Sony will simply try their best to make sure people stream games from playstation platform.

Streaming is just another distribution model, first it's disc, then digital download, and now streaming. But people still buy/rent/subscribe their games from somewhere, whether that's playstation now, xcloud, or stadia.

So 1st party exclusives will still be important to attract consumer to your platform, just like netflix and disney+ are developing exclusive shows to make people subs to their service.

The hardware console may not be as important anymore since people will be able to stream games without the hardware, but the platform will still exist.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think DS will hit 10+ million. How much did Metal gear series sell?

They always had solid sales, though an issue the series had is that it carried a lot of baggage.

Death Stranding is a fresh start so it has a lot of potential to sell like other big Sony IPs.

Wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than the best selling MGS.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They always had solid sales, though an issue the series had is that it carried a lot of baggage.

Death Stranding is a fresh start so it has a lot of potential to sell like other big Sony IPs.

Wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than the best selling MGS.

It is also most definitely going to be a Cross Gen release, which will help it a lot

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding will do 10million in my opinion. Ghost of Tsushima I'm not so sure about it. I love Sucker Punch and can't wait for that game, but I feel that game will sell well enough, but won't quite reach the 10mil.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already see people downplaying GOW sales on twitter. Kinda hilarious trying to downplay an exclusive which has sold over 10 million in 1 year. Seriously, think about it ;D
"But attach rate.... should have sold 30 million with over 90+ million PS4 consoles sold". Yeah kid.... that's not how it works. It never did. Now we have "but it got bundled", "full price?" and "PS4 attach rate" as the three big BS reasons to downplay great software sales. The length people go.... lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's true about PC gamers. That's why I think streaming is going to be so potent (assuming the latency and video quality issues are mostly resolved). The potential "PC" market for streaming is way bigger than the "PC gaming" market. I have a gaming PC, but most of my computer time is on an integrated-graphics ultrabook. Streaming will include my ultrabook as a gaming platform where traditional PC platforms don't (indie games aside, yada yada).

I guess my question is whether it's more profitable in the longterm for Sony to sell The Last of Us 2 to every ultrabook, chromecast, smartphone and console user, or leverage the Last of Us 2 to sell more PS4/5s.
I think they will do both to the best of their ability. They want to expand as much as possible, so the non-console platforms will be adding on to the base they already have with console.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, you came into a sales celebration thread, downplayed the success and made a comparison with another game on another platform.

What did you think was going to happen? You'd be greeted with a fanfare and ticker tape parade?

I didn't downplay anything. I just said I expected it to have sold more as I remember people talking about a 10 million announcement late last year and I thought I'd missed it.

10 million is 10 million which is an incredible success.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

In the future the platform will be more important. What's important is for people to keep buying games whether it's tlou2 or new call of duty from playstation store, whether it's streaming or not, doesn't matter for Sony as long as they got their 30% cut as platform holder.

I'm curious though if 3rd party publisher will all start their own streaming service like in movie industry and start pulling out games from console if streaming really takes off.