• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
"What has changed is just the direction of light and fog, the content is the same as the E3 trailer, but different context, you will understand when you play. The Jormungandr, Kratos and Atreus continue exactly like the trailer are comparing with other scenes and lights. I'm laughing seeing the comments :)"

Source; https://www.psu.com/news/godof-war-artist-denies-ps4-downgrade/

I guess we will have to wait and see until the game comes out but so far the game looks gorgeous in my opinion

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
rPNCqww.jpg

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People doubting this developer really need to see their past history. They can pull it off and they never held back. Just look at God of War 3 that could pass as a PS4 game. Or GOW2 that looked like an early PS3 game. Same goes to the PSP tittles.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see any downgrades , sony santa Monica always deliver on the graphics. Cant wait for 420 .

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, even if it's downgrade (which is not) it's still better than almost anything out there...comon now.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Like clockwork we came to this "ps4 game is downgraded" time of the year.
I thought people by now would learn something about the past "Horizon is downgraded" and the " UC4 has been downgraded.

Looking forward for Next year "TLoU Part 2 has been downgraded"

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought people by now would learn something about the past "Horizon is downgraded" and the " UC4 has been downgraded.

Well to be fair UC4 was downgraded.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We've still got the Spider-man and Days Gone downgrade threads to come

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the fuss over downgrading generally. Better to overshoot and scale back in order to hit performance targets than undershoot and have a ton of leftover performance you're not utilising.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it - please show me

I wouldn't cry downgrade, but looking at the direct feed of the serpent, there's a couple of places where there's been changes that you could deem worse I suppose. This might be explained by a different LoD or artistic choice, but there is some difference.

sk8XIa.jpg

I personally don't give a toss about these differences.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
What I learned today is, if you need to downgrade your game without actually downgrading your game, just change the time of day the original scene is set at. That way, you can downgrade your game while conveniently sidestepping any downgrade accusations.

Boy, Ubisoft sure could learn a thing or two from these guys.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't even aware that there was a downgrade conversation...
Is there really one or just a loud, annoying minority?

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
What I learned today is, if you need to downgrade your game without actually downgrading your game, just change the time of day the original scene is set at. That way, you can downgrade your game while conveniently sidestepping any downgrade accusations.

So true.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

inFamous Second Son did that and still got accused of being downgraded, when it released and wasn't downgraded the clueless people screaming downgrade where suddenly quiet.
People should really look up how much different lighting can affect a game, before crying downgrade over (in this case) pretty slight differences.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i sometimes think people don't understand the difference between a downgrade and just something being changed. there is nothing technically worse in the new trailer of god of war. if anything things have improved. they're just taking place in different lighting conditions and with different atmospherics.

it's like when people kept posting this ridiculous comparison of uncharted 3

vKQSt.jpg

they re-shaped chloes face and moved the entire scene to a new location where the lighting and atmosphere was completely different. geometry and textures were not "downgraded" the scene simply changed. was a it a good call? debatable. but in the context of the story and location the scene takes place in, it makes a lot more sense to look the way it ended up.

god of war is no different. remember stage demonstrations are typically made without the full context of the entire game set in stone. entire areas may move around in the context of the whole narrative. what once was shown as a daytime mission, may now take place at night because the story and design have been finalized and require it.

this ain't no witcher 3 situation here people. not even remotely.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because someone who has a vested interest in the success of the product he's working on would surely come out and say "Yeah guys, game's downgraded, don't waste your money".

I have no interest either way, but taking developers' words as gospel is misguided at best.

Or he would say nothing, thats an option you know - considering only a vocal minority even cares.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't even aware that there was a downgrade conversation...
Is there really one or just a loud, annoying minority?
There's like 3 vocals that insist there's a downgrade. They don't realize the time change and lighting with some added bloom effects make the scene actually 'better' than before.

Sok tho. Faces will melt and crow will be eaten in April. This is SSM after all.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't cry downgrade, but looking at the direct feed of the serpent, there's a couple of places where there's been changes that you could deem worse I suppose. This might be explained by a different LoD or artistic choice, but there is some difference.

sk8XIa.jpg

In my mind, a downgrade would be wholesale changes to what was promised. Changing of some assets around the mouth of a snake doesn't hold up. For all we know that could just be an effect of the lighting, an art decision, or the decision to change minor assets for performance. Something like this would be a wholesale downgrade

Witcher3_Downgrade_Is_Real.gif

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

sk8XIa.jpg

Yea that's one thing I noticed, the serpent definitely looks less intimidating and more 'gamey'. Almost like there's some ambient occlusion effect missing inside the mouth and the skin looks less wet and the shader overall looks less like skin and more like ... a rock.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes, because someone who has a vested interest in the success of the product he's working on would surely come out and say "Yeah guys, game's downgraded, don't waste your money".

I have no interest either way, but taking developers' words as gospel is misguided at best.
It's also pretty reasonable to believe someone has enough integrity to speak publicly about this truthfully when they have direct knowledge of the situation. Especially when it hasn't even reached 'controversy' status on video game message boards.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

sk8XIa.jpg

that's a visible case of downgrade on texture resolution ( some texture details in the nose disappeared on the last version only for example ), in general the model seems more blurred now, but for reasons the community continue your "deny mantra"

Oct 27, 2017

sk8XIa.jpg

Different time of day my arse, that's a downgrade.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wut? Thats clearly a downgrade!

how? moving a light and adding volumetric fog isn't a downgrade. hell, the actual bus has gained details around the windows. geometry is just as good across both assets both in regards to the bus and chloe herself. she had a redesign some people might not like, granted, but that isn't what a downgrade is.

now, if she ended up looking like she does in her multiplayer model (which has reduced details for MP) then yeah, that would be a downgrade. artistic and context changes are not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.