• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is so random.

I hate how this is how we have to get info on sales lol

pretty good numbers for that game though

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Good numbers, yet SSM went through some hard times because of Ascension, or at least that's what's shown in the God of War documentary.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Well deserved. The best of the old Gows simply because it's so combat focused. I loved the campaign and while it didn't have bosses that matched 3 and 2 to some extent it still has a couple of epic setpieces. That combat tho..

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It was a good game but yet another prequel wasn't really necessary

Some of the best visuals on PS3 though

It would have been better to have delayed it and launched it as a PS4 launch title, or it should have at least been cross gen

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So $33.33 revenue on average per sale. Not clear whether this is revenue calculated at POS or to Sony.

IIRC wasn't God of War Ascension a budget ($40) release? I'm sure I got it near launch and didn't pay full price for it.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not really sure why this, GT6, Puppeteer etc didn't get PS4 ports in the early days when the PS4 was lacking in games. Sony be strange.

Yeah it was a weird one. 3rd party publishers were doing cross gen so it wasn't even like the idea never could have occurred to them

They must have looked at Killzone and said "yeah, this can stand on it's own, keep God of War, Puppeteer and GT6 on PS3"

Even cheap and quick PS4 ports that just knocked them up to 1080 would have made the PS4 a more desirable prospect in 2013

I guess the PS4 didn't need them since it sold really well right out of the gate

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it was a weird one. 3rd party publishers were doing cross gen so it wasn't even like the idea never could have occurred to them

They must have looked at Killzone and said "yeah, this can stand on it's own, keep God of War, Puppeteer and GT6 on PS3"

Even cheap and quick PS4 ports that just knocked them up to 1080 would have made the PS4 a more desirable prospect in 2013

I guess the PS4 didn't need them since it sold really well right out of the gate

It's not so much that the PS4 needed the games (though they wouldn't have hurt!)... It was more a case of the games needed the PS4. They all sold poorly relative to other titles in their series.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hated this game with passion

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not so much that the PS4 needed the games (though they wouldn't have hurt!)... It was more a case of the games needed the PS4. They all sold poorly relative to other titles in their series.

True, and on top of that, they actually did make Little Big Planet 3 cross gen, so it's even weirder still

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The way SSM turned things around for the franchise and sold more than that in 3 days only (and 10M after a year later) with its next game is amazing.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Underrated underappreciated gem of a game. The cinematics and voice acting was superb. Tyler Bates rendition of the god of war theme was so damn good and the overall soundtrack was just remarkable. The set piece moments were stellar. I honestly don't get why people dislike/hate the game. I mean how can you not enjoy the story and the gameplay in the campaign.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good for the worst God of War game. It was very pretty, but I did not like the gameplay changes at all. Locking combos/moves behind a meter was pure shit.
dont forget to mention the enemies that took mechanics from the psp games where they wouldnt stagger during attacks and would grab you during combos! Or when you fought the giant snake and it zoomed out so far you were a ant on screen and expected to maintain control!

Such a shit game, multiplayer could';ve been good but that multiplayer team didnt care, I was on those beta forums everyday and they didn't read a damn thing there other than ban people and tell people there'd be little to no changes.

Game had a amazing artstyle and environment design, its the best "kratos goes on a adventure" game possible, but playing it was dreadful.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember the game being super buggy or maybe I was just very unlucky. It crashed 2-3 times and had so many audio gliches, first and only GoW I didn't complete.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I only played a demo of it, and while good I found it more of a same. Escalation of spectacle with unnecessary prequel story. GoW1-3 were great, and I was very happy with how GoW3 ended.

I'm still waiting for a high-framerate port on a newer console to finally play through it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
All I remember is this game having a weird cameo in House of Cards because at some point, Frank Underwood, the newly appointed VP, tries logging on to play multiplayer but the Secret Service security agents have blocked his online access.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's the only classic God of War that I played and finished. It was okay but I never liked the classic gameplay and story.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
that's pretty low for a GoW title isn't it? thought the previous console titles sold like 5 million each, minimum?

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I loved this game. The story was forgettable but things like multiplayer aspect was fun and we can replay / chapter select too which is a big deal to me unlike GOW3

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean It's not the only awkwardly out-of-place Sony product placement in the show

lol!

that's pretty low for a GoW title isn't it? thought the previous console titles sold like 5 million each, minimum?
It was lower that other GoW games, but not that low. As you said, other GoW games (except 2018) sold 4,5 million and for example GoW 3 sold 5.2 million on PS3 and it was a main title with amazing scores. So 3 million for a prequel with 80 on Metacritic isn't that bad.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I know Ascension gets a lot of flack, but its such a good game. There really aren't a single bad God of War game except maybe Betrayal. I remember I had time off for a week in 2014, it was the launch week of Second Son and I played and platinumed Second Son, Stick of Truth and Ascension in that week. :)

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
It was a good game but yet another prequel wasn't really necessary

Some of the best visuals on PS3 though

It would have been better to have delayed it and launched it as a PS4 launch title, or it should have at least been cross gen
I think it's the best looking Ps3 game in terms of character models. U3 in terms of environment

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I swear we were promised a PS4 remaster of this and then it was never mentioned again.

We actually never were promised a PS4 remaster lol, was just a rumor that it was going go happen.
Weird they didn't port this along with the GoW 3 port

Makes more sense for God of War 3 since it led to God of War 2018. Ascension is the first game in the series and it would be silly to remaster that one and then ignore the rest of the franchise you know?