• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Thanks to Loudninja for sharing

Edit

Full list
  1. God of War
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man
  4. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  5. Celeste
  6. Monster Hunter World
  7. Florence
  8. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  9. Super Mario Party
  10. Fortnite

The also have 3 additional awards

Best Latecomer: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Best Remake: Shadow of the Colossus

Best Great British Bake Off Vibes: overcooked 2

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

The GOTYs are racking up. With 7 it is in the lead right now.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I for one am shocked that a game about a middle aged man going through dad based angst appeals to a bunch of middle aged men running a magazine.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it funny how the media hyped up RDR2 as the second coming and then 1 month later they all give the GOTY awards to GOW

Edit: tbf they hyped up GOW as the second coming when it launched too I guess

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. Incredible art too.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I thought there might be a bit of a recency bias towards RDR2, but it's probably now in the stage where people are burnt out and frankly a bit annoyed by it's flaws. In another 6 months people will look back on it more fondly remembering the good times.

This isn't exclusive to these titles specifically, more a commentary on how we remember things.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny how the media hyped up RDR2 as the second coming and then 1 month later they all give the GOTY awards to GOW

Before any GOTY awards dropped I was wondering how they would even justify giving GOTY to GoW when they gave RDR2 even more praise and even better scores.
The Game Awards, which GoW won GOTY at, are also chosen partly by the gaming press, so that was a first indicator that they indeed favor GoW after all?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Red Dead is a media event with enough power to disrupt box office receipts. God of War was just a master class title. That's the difference.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really salt. I just don't care for the game (it lost what was appealing about God of War, the dumb fun that series was) but I can very easily see why it's popular with critics now that game players no longer all 20 somethings.
Makes no sense. Has nothing to do with an age thing.

For many gow stopped being appealing and this direction is what made it interesting again.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's starting to look like 2013 all over again.

Better luck in 5 years Rockstar. Third time's the charm.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It already won the Oscar equivalent, now these are just the cherries on top. Congrats to SSM!

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Before any GOTY awards dropped I was wondering how they would even justify giving GOTY to GoW when they gave RDR2 even more praise and even better ratings.
The Game Awards, which GoW won GOTY at, are also chosen partly by the gaming press, so that was a first indicator that they indeed favor GoW after all?

Not necessarily. GTAV won TGA in 2013 but came second in the overall GOTY list. These things can go eitherways really. Should be much closer this time than TLOU vs GTA5 though I think.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my person goty for sure so I'm all aboard this......exceeeeeeept...
They have Shadow Of The Tomb Raider on there too. They don't belong anywhere close to each other.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
First GoW game I ever enjoyed, and i am not a dad. It was actually the first time I enjoyed GoW combat that helped me turn the corner, being a great production in other ways was icing on the whole deal.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Makes no sense. Has nothing to do with an age thing.

Yes it is. There's been quite a trend the past few years about games having the protagonists be fathers or at least father figures, coinciding with game developers reaching the age where they become parents as well.

God of War is just another example of this trend, a well executed one.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are surprised honestly. I told people in October when reviews hit and everyone saw that 97 and thought it meant an auto win for RDR2. The same thing happened to GTA5. Rockstar games always get that 96-98 Meta hype and then people realize that the game really isn't that good. I hope some of you remember this when GTA6 launches if there is another really high quality game that year too like TLOU and God of War.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope this praise doesn't prevent them from fixing the annoying shit that keeps them from real greatness. The crafting system is garbage, boss fights are repetitive, the in game economy sucks, the side quests are inconsequential (why should I care about doing some shit for a ghost?), etc.

Rdr 2 is like Avengers, but Gow is like Logan.

So which game is The Shape of Water or Moonlight?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I for one am shocked that a game about a middle aged man going through dad based angst appeals to a bunch of middle aged men running a magazine.

Yes, because middle aged men are clearly not intelligent or free thinking enough to judge a game based on its quality and fun factor, it surely must only be down to dad based angst.

The parent child relationship dynamics in games must also be why titles like Dishonored, Dragon Quest V, Lost Odyssey, Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 6, Nier etc all also dominated all the GOTY awards....

For whatever reason God of War is really bringing out entire warehouses worth of salt.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, unlike RDR2, which I dropped after being bored of how abysmal the aim is and other stuff I didn't like, GOW is actually fun to play.

Keep the salt coming, I say.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it is. There's been quite a trend the past few years about games having the protagonists be fathers or at least father figures, coinciding with game developers reaching the age where they become parents as well.

God of War is just another example of this trend, a well executed one.
Ye Dads are the biggest market in gaming rofl.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I hope this praise doesn't prevent them from fixing the annoying shit that keeps them from real greatness. The crafting system is garbage, boss fights are repetitive, the in game economy sucks, the side quests are inconsequential (why should I care about doing some shit for a ghost?), etc.

Astrobot. Actually its so good there is no equal this year.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The hits keep coming. Boi am I happy for that game. Made me want to play games like it on PC, the closest I got was a old version of DMC that I never played.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Didnt watch the other 2 films but from what i can remmeber about the movie, probably Celeste

OP
OP
patapon

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
The also have 3 additional awards

Best Latecomer: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Best Remake: Shadow of the Colossus

Best Great British Bake Off Vibes: overcooked 2