• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
All Rockstar ever need to do is to fix the bad control and stiff shooting in their games but nope, can't hear our opinion because we are just insignificant little gamers, our voice don't matter. Only the critic's voice matter. There's no way these gamers know any shit about video games, they don't even work in the industry.

Hey look the critics all gave our game a 10/10, see? Our game is PERFECT. To think that ''gamers'' criticized our game's control...what a bunch of fools. GOTY here we come!

Dear Rockstar, your bad game control may not reflect in the reviews because the reviewers don't wanna piss anybody off, but it will be remembered, and it will eventually have an effect on the awards. Don't be fooled by the 10/10 reviews, don't be so easy to please. Your game design is flawed, period.

God of War didn't win because they are the smaller guys and you guy are the super Titan, no, God of War wins because it plays REALLY well. It is that simple.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty interesting site as far as "consensus" picks go with a few studios seeming to dominate the industry.

Out of the 15 years with a consensus top pick, Naughty Dog and Bethesda have 3 top games of the year. Bioware right behind with 2 and SO close to 3 with ME2 and RDR being a dead heat.

Nobody else has more than one, including Rockstar.

That just speaks to the output of these studios and sustained success. That's why a few months ago when we had the discussion for who is the best studio in video games today, and a lot of people said either Nintendo or Naughty Dog. Well when you've racked 3 consensus wins within the last 15 years and probably will win another one when TLOU Part 2 drops, that's not luck. That's talent. Now we can add SSM back into that discussion with GoW.

ANTISOULLESS

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
San Diego
Absolutely. ACO is fucking amazing.
God Of War was too. Of all the games that have expansions and DLC. Why couldn't IT be one of them? Like all of those gods and world waiting to be explored. Ugh. I hope the asset flip it into a sequel and get it out soon. The game is so good.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! For quite sometime i want to know the most awarded games

Top 5

1. Witcher 3 - 257
2. The Last of Us - 249
3. Skyrim - 227
4. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 189
5. Uncharted 4 - 165

I think it would be better to look at percentage winners since different years have different number of total awards. So number of awards won by game X/number of total awards given to any game that year x 100. This would tell us which games was the most celebrated compared to other gotys from different years.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I hope that rockstar will learn from this why their game design is flawed and what needs to be improved, because hopefully they now understand a little better that immersion shouldnt be the top focus of the game and instead design the game around being fun, i definitely believe that if there is one developer that can make an amazingly impressive open world that is also super fun to play it would be rockstar, they just need to make some better design decisions for the overall fun.

Well in anyway god of war is my GotG so i am so happy to see it get so much recognition. Totally deserved

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Im not surprised. RDR is multiplat. GoW isn't. Those other fans wont be voting for a game they can't play.

I doubt that would make a big difference. TLOU, Uncharted 4 and BOTW won the most amount of reader's choice awards in their respective years. Additionally, GoW is exclusive to the most popular platform next to PC and RDR2 isn't even on PC right now. Conversely, Rockstar games are super popular so that could change things but it's also clear that RDR2 is very divisive. Overall, I do think it's going to be a close race this year and no one game is going to just runaway with most of the awards like previous years.

Kratos is not a middle-aged man. He's an immortal and probably well over 1000 years old during the events of that game.

That's just being really pedantic. It's like saying those certain characters from those JRPGs are totally 1000 year old dragon-witches so it's totally fine just ignore how they look, NO DON'T CALL THE POLICE. Kratos looks and behaves like a middle aged dude and fits that archetype.

I absolutely love the new GoW but it does fit into the "dad- game" genre along with TLOU, Bioshock Infinite, Walking dead season 1, RDR, RDR2 etc. There really nothing wrong with that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
97 on MC and 17+ million copies sold. Why should they bother?
Rockstar are always aiming for the top. They can do much less and still stay at this sales and score, which means they are trying to win goty as hard as they can. I just hope that this makes them understand why they did not win.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought RDR2 was going to sweep the GotY awards, but it looks like it's gonna be God of War. Which is well deserved imo. Both are great games, but GoW wins out for me. Just an overall more curated and well-paced experience.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
All this "salt" shit is lame and needs to stop. That's all anyone on this fucking forum can say when someone has a passionate opinion that opposes their own. It kills productive conversation and is very high school.

GUESS IM JUST BEING SALTY LULZ!!!!!!!!!

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
All this "salt" shit is lame and needs to stop. That's all anyone on this fucking forum can say when someone has a passionate opinion that opposes their own. It kills productive conversation and is very high school.

The post that everyone was responding to was hardly a productive or constructive piece of criticism.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very pleased to see Celeste hasn't been forgotten in these lists despite it being a smaller title releasing very early in the year.

Oct 27, 2017
You realize I predicted your response in the last sentence of my post, right?

Lol Bruh. You are throwing a tantrum over the fact that a person came in with an obviously reductive statement that can only be described as childish and appropriately called out for it. Then you tried to defend it calling it a "passionate opinion". You ain't gaslighting anyone homie lol.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

Even Cory knows deep in his heart that Red Dead was clearly, remarkably better.

I see why you feel this way.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I hope that rockstar will learn from this why their game design is flawed and what needs to be improved, because hopefully they now understand a little better that immersion shouldnt be the top focus of the game and instead design the game around being fun, i definitely believe that if there is one developer that can make an amazingly impressive open world that is also super fun to play it would be rockstar, they just need to make some better design decisions for the overall fun.

Well in anyway god of war is my GotG so i am so happy to see it get so much recognition. Totally deserved
Rockstar went backwards bully has better combat than rdr2 lol

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason God of War is really bringing out entire warehouses worth of salt.

What's the opposite of salt? Where people actually get what they want but shit on the other game anyway? Been a lot of that going on too. The whole thing seems odd and a lot more fanatical than usual.

Having said that, congrats to the team again. I've haven't played either game and out of the 2 GOW is the only one that I want to play.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Top 6 in order is basically where I'm at except I haven't played Assassin's Creed.

It's a great game - marred by its progression system being designed around keeping you there longer than need be by virtue of the implementation of microtransactions and it being a GAAS. Wait until they release a complete edition where they hopefully balance the progression to not necessitate spending $10 on an EXP boost.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the opposite of salt? Where people actually get what they want but shit on the other game anyway? Been a lot of that going on too. The whole thing seems odd and a lot more fanatical than usual.

Having said that, congrats to the team again. I've haven't played either game and out of the 2 GOW is the only one that I want to play.

I mean being serious, there's been more people running into threads like these downplaying the fact that GoW won over RDR2 than vice versa. At the end of the day, it was two good games, but only one could be Highlander. GoW was that pick.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar's GTAV won GOTY at the VGAs though. Naughty Dog won studio of the year at the same show. lol
The Last of Us also won public voting,The Last of Us was clearly robbed.
As I have said since I played RDR2,it is the GTA 4 for this gen, over hyped, extremely divisible and God of War is GOTG and Kratos is slaying another Titan.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
It's always funny see these threads with all salt of fans of others games lol
congrats to Cory and SSM

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I mean being serious, there's been more people running into threads like these downplaying the fact that GoW won over RDR2 than vice versa. At the end of the day, it was two good games, but only one could be Highlander. GoW was that pick.

I'd feel you except I was in the VGA thread. That shit was stupid as hell on both sides and the difference didn't seem that big. But the fact that it would even be close is crazy to me. I'm not saying the salt isn't dumb and uncalled for, I'm saying that your favorite game winning and you still acting like a jackass is maybe even more dumb. But maybe people see this like sports or something which would make it a lot more understandable but just as dumb. Everyone who played GOW could have played RDR2 so is it a matter of literal disdain for one game over another on the same platform? That's a level of gaming fandom that I never really thought about. Like people beefing over the best wide-reciever on the same team. Anyway, this is way off topic so apologies to the OP.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Fortnite keeps getting on these lists. It came out in July 2017 and the Battle Royale mode was added in November 2017.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! For quite sometime i want to know the most awarded games

Top 5

1. Witcher 3 - 257
2. The Last of Us - 249
3. Skyrim - 227
4. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 189
5. Uncharted 4 - 165
Pretty interesting site as far as "consensus" picks go with a few studios seeming to dominate the industry.

Out of the 15 years with a consensus top pick, Naughty Dog and Bethesda have 3 top games of the year. Bioware right behind with 2 and SO close to 3 with ME2 and RDR being a dead heat.

Nobody else has more than one, including Rockstar.
I think it would be better to look at percentage winners since different years have different number of total awards. So number of awards won by game X/number of total awards given to any game that year x 100. This would tell us which games was the most celebrated compared to other gotys from different years.
That list order would mean more if the number of outlets didn't vary so much between years.

Here's the percentage for those games listed

1. Witcher 3 58.54% (257/439)
2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild 56.75% (189/333)
3. Skyrim 56.32% (227/403)
4. The Last of Us 47.88% (249/420)
5. Uncharted 4 40.24% (165/410)

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
This looks like 2013 again a Rockstar game getting better reviews ( GTA V ), but a Sony game getting more GOTYs ( the Last of Us ).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Wow, what's happening? I wasn't expecting TLoU vs. GTA V again.

OMG..i am noticing a pattern.

Last Of Us
God Of War
Common traits: Word of Word

Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Common Traits: Word word word number

Conclusion:
So 'word of word' > 'word word word number'!!!

images