• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Cory Barlog said:
First, sorry about the quality. Shot on my macbook webcam. So, I thought a lot about whether or not to upload but then I thought of what my son, Helo, is going through right now. He doesn't want us to be around when he is sad, opting to run in another room and yell at us if we try to come in. It has been important to us to let him know that it is OK to be sad, it is OK to cry. There is nothing to hide. I thought I would try to set a good example and show him that papa can cry in front of the world, or at least the 50 people who end up watching this. :) This is for you, Helo. Papa loves you.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
That is very sweet.

I haven't played the previous games but I'm playing this. Feels like this man and his team deserve the success.

Cengizhan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Congrats to the team. The game looks stunning and was created with care and craftsmanship. Game development is hard and I'm glad it also payed off on a personal level.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really happy for that whole studio, like he said reviews shouldn't matter as much as they do but, well, they do

can't wait to play the game

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now you start to think of all the other developers out there and the games that didn't get such stellar reviews and how hard it must be for them.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The note and dedication to his son for the video is so much more touching than the video itself. Congratulations on being a fantastic father Cory! (and a battlestar fan haha) we need more dads brave enough to lead their lives as an example to their kids. It takes a whole other sort of courage.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross posted from the other thread
That one second...that one glimpse of the score before it all sets in is absolutely incredible.

You can see disbelief...but then...right before it all comes home...you see relief. then...just a glimpse of "fuck yeah, I was right." What a human moment of triumph.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't even his first 90+ game, but this one must have been personal. Congrats SSM, my preload is ready

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cory is one of the best figures in the industry and this video is incredible. So happy to be supporting this team with my $70.

Nov 4, 2017
I have two separate thoughts on this bizarre video.

1) My human side is saying that's sweet. Nice to see someone validated for years of hard work, and sharing that with everyone. Congratulations.
2) My cynical side just simply has to say that this is a bit on the nose, don't you think? The day before the game comes out; a game focusing on making Kratos into a dad. Then he dedicates his metacritic tears to his son to show him it's okay to cry?

I'm like 50/50 on this, in thinking it's nice, and kind of hoping this never happens again because this is a very bizarre viral marketing video. I can just picture a less popular person, or company putting out a video like this and it really not landing well.

Either way though, congrats. Hyped to play the game tomorrow.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
5 years of torture and doubt justified by 1 number in 1 day. One can only imagine how that felt.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
2) My cynical side just simply has to say that this is a bit on the nose, don't you think? The day before the game comes out; a game focusing on making Kratos into a dad. Then he dedicates his metacritic tears to his son to show him it's okay to cry?

I'm like 50/50 on this, in thinking it's nice, and kind of hoping this never happens again because this is a very, bizarre viral marketing video. I can just picture a less popular person, or company putting out a video like this and it really not landing well.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Powerfull stuff. Cory is THE MAN.

Can't wait to play this masterpiece.

Edit: you can see the amount of pressure getting out of him. I never doubted him from the moment I saw the making of God of War 2 video. Congratulations Cory!

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, Cory. It is OK to cry. And yes, Helo needs to know that it's OK to be sad and cry, even as an adult. Even as an adult, I cry. I cried when my grandpa died. I cry whenever my love life goes belly up. And it's OK. Crying is.. It shows that you have emotions. It shows that you are alive. It may be sad, it may hurt, but it's a reminder that you are a living, feeling individual. We as humans are more than just walking bags of flesh and bones. We are personalities with feelings. It's OK to cry.

You and your team has done great work, and I love how you've incorporated the mythological heritage of my ancestors into one of my favourite video game series. And how you took God of War to another level.

And, in a language Kratos from the new God of War might understand:
Jeg ønsker deg alt godt, og lykke til videre.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1) My human side is saying that's sweet. Nice to see someone validated for years of hard work, and sharing that with everyone. Congratulations.

I'm like 50/50 on this, in thinking it's nice, and kind of hoping this never happens again because this is a very bizarre viral marketing video. I can just picture a less popular person, or company putting out a video like this and it really not landing well.

lol....
That his privat Youtube channel and his private twitter account.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That was so heartfelt, what an amazing video. Thank you Cory for sharing this, wow.

Oct 27, 2017
Aww, that's nice. I'm happy for Cory.

It must be cathartic to not only see your hard work come to fruition but for it to be so well received.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aint no shame in crying when you bust your ass on something for 5 long years and it ends up being received the way it was. That has to be an incredible feeling.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know I wanted GOW as much as I did until a few weeks ago. Congrats to the team! I am so hyped for later!

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
When you put your heart and years of your life into something, seeing it be well reviewed and sell must be a very satisfying feeling.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

Wow he guy is genuinely excited and emotional. We've been talking to him all night. He's a humble guy. Shame on you for this hot take.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I'm happy for Cory and the team. Can't wait to play this at midnight, it's all I've been thinking about. You should be proud Cory!!!