• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Full details

First off, as you may have read in the recent preview coverage, we offer four difficulty options when you start a new game, in order of easiest to the most challenging:

• Give Me A Story: lets you experience the story without too much of a difficult gameplay challenge. You won't be taking a gondola to the top of the highest peaks in all the Norse Realms, but you will have a far greater margin for error in enemy encounters.

• Give Me A Balanced Experience: is the mode we'd recommend most players start with. The name says it all. We've tuned it to deliver a balanced, challenging playthrough.

• Give Me A Challenge: is harder and less forgiving. It is recommended for players who find action games extremely intuitive, and for confident long-time God of War series veterans who've beat past games on harder difficulties.

• Give Me God of War: is the sort of thing reserved for people who wrestle polar bears in their undies. Maybe not quite that, but it's the most difficult mode in the game. We haven't just made you weaker or enemies stronger; we've looked at enemy behaviors and placements in encounters as well, tweaking everything to make it as threatening as possible. Best of all, you cannot change difficulties once you start a game on this mode, so if you suddenly realize you're in way over your head, you'll have to start a new game. Don't be sorry, be better?
The community reaction to the new gameplay footage released last month was hugely rewarding to our team (it's been a long road!), but we couldn't help but notice inquiries into whether the UI can be scaled back or turned off.
http://godofwar.playstation.com/stories/give-me-challenge

Last edited:

aember

Oct 26, 2017
And once players finish the game, no matter what difficulty they're playing, they can keep playing the game, continue to experience the world that they likely haven't fully examined.

Aren't open world games the ones that let you play after the ending? I thought this was a linear game or am I just misunderstanding what he meant?

e: answered below

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Man I just really appreciate the level of polish going into this game. It just seems like a game by people proud of their craft. I won't be able to get it at launch, but I wish I could.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
This game will be so damn epic. Souls game type combat system and map layout with secret areas and alternative bosses. Cant wait to dig deep into this game

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This encourages me to do a second run .not a stupid trophy for hard difficulty.

New Game + on this difficulty should be fun

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent.

Though the journalist going "but normal kicked my ass." makes me think less normal is hard and more he just stank lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Give me a Challenge followed by Give me God of War for me. Interested to see just how different the hardest difficulty plays.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cool! I will start Give Me A Balanced Experience and the Give Me God of War. I know this will be a trophy that I need for Platinum :)

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Aren't open world games the ones that let you play after the ending? I thought this was a linear game or am I just misunderstanding what he meant?
It's like tomb raider reboot or souls game. You can backtrack to any previous level. I assume after you beat the game, you'll load to before the final boss and you can go back to previous level to explore and find hiddent stuff etc

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
action games are picking up on the best rpg traits and here ffxv wont even bump up the difficulty in ng+ or let me adjust my level.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I suck too much to every play on those difficulties, I'm glad they actually put some effort into them. Just a bump in enemy health and damage is so lazy.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Cool! I will start Give Me A Balanced Experience and the Give Me God of War.
Ditto.
I played The Last of Us at the hardest available difficulty off the bat and while I immensely enjoyed the game it deterred me from replaying it due to the work involved.
Will seek out a balanced and more comfortable initial run of God of War before potentially re-playing it at the highest difficulty.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of a tradition to finish GOW at the highest difficulty, this one will be no exception.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Man, oh man this game sounds more and more amazing with each passing day lol. Insane!

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That's really cool, changing things up and providing more of a challenge for people who master the game. I'll never use it, but it's cool that it's there for those who will.

It's also cool that there's a story mode for others who, for whatever reason, can't deal with the difficulty of combat. This opens the game up, allowing as many people as possible to enjoy themselves with it.

Great stuff all round. I always love it when devs go the extra mile like this.

Oct 29, 2017
So pretty much exactly the same as the modern Deux ex games, right down to the naming scheme for each difficulty.

Could rip off worse ideas, that's for sure!

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
More games need to approach difficultly in this way. Don't just bump up enemy health and damage, actually make it more challenging.

If I love the game, and I'm confident I will, I'll definitley give this a whirl.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
YES, I'm so in for the hardest difficulty, really happy you don't have to play through it on a lower difficulty first.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of starting on the remixed one ? You won't know what's changed because you didn't play it not Remixed to begin with

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
duh? Every good action game does that.

I'm going to need some receipts on this because there are plenty of good action games that don't do this.

Changing up enemy patterns and a.i. per difficulty is of the rarest forms of game development that is also the most overlooked(because people would rather tweak a knob or two than put the effort or budget into something like this). I can name a few games that do this but there sure as hell aren't a lot of them. Devil May Cry, Doom games, Quake 1 and 2, TLoU, OoT master quest, wind waker hard mode are some of the games. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are amongst the list but they also hold their own higher rank of changing up entire levels and mission objectives based on difficulty, which is even more rare to see in a game, no pun intended.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I will likely be starting the game on the hardest difficulty. Hopefully it's not so hard that I cannot progress, but I doubt it will be.