• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not with the same amount on viewers it doesn't.

Far cry 5 is on three platforms and didn't even reach this high.

So no, it doesn't always happen, at least not the numbers GOW is pulling ofd

It depends on who is streaming more than anything. When the biggest channels on the platform are all on a new release it skyrockets.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
How is the Twitch viewership compared to Sea of Thieves?? If bigger than sea of Thieves guess Spencer can't say single player games are a dying breed.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I could see the give me God of War difficultly being streamed pretty often. Seems to extremely difficulty with even the developers recommending hard.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Twitch viewership compared to Sea of Thieves?? If bigger than sea of Thieves guess Spencer can't say single player games are a dying breed.
the maximum concurrent number of viewers was slightly larger, but in the other hand viewership will die out a lot quicker because it isn't a multiplayer title.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watching games on twitch doesn't require you to own the platform where the game is released so i'm not sure how is that relevant at all.
Sea of Thieves also reached just as high.
Sea of thieves at its peak was around 260k. God of war at its peak was just shy of 300k.

And sea of thieves was on PC as well so it had a larger audience interested in the game because of that.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Sea of thieves at its peak was around 260k. God of war at its peak was just shy of 300k.

And sea of thieves was on PC as well so it had a larger audience interested in the game because of that.

There was a great point brought up earlier - somebody can be watching LIRIK play with no intention to purchase or play the game since they don't own a PS4. I don't buy for a second that Sea of Theives has a larger audience interested in it compared to God of War solely because one is available on two types of machines whereas the other is only available on one.

God of War is a much bigger IP than Sea of Thieves will be in the forseeable future. Naturally, more people would be interested in watching the game be played.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless, at its peak Far cry 5 didn't reach the same amount of concurrent viewers as God of War has.
Exclusivity actually increases viewership/interest. You keep stating Far Cry 5 being on every platform as if that means it should have more viewers. That's not how it works. Now if GOW outsells FC5, that'll be incredibly impressive.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
God of war is a cinematic game so obviously lot of people will choose to see it as a movie through twitch or youtube, in addition to that is the most hyped game of this year.
PC+XBOX+SWITCH crowd will prefer to see it from twitch. In general, people that don't own a ps4.
Until monday god of war can do big numbers, after that it will vanish.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of war is a cinematic game so obviously lot of people will choose to see it as a movie through twitch or youtube, in addition to that is the most hyped game of this year.
PC+XBOX+SWITCH crowd will prefer to see it from twitch. In general, people that don't own a ps4.
Until monday god of war can do big numbers, after that it will vanish.
I can imagine some of the Twitch streamers doing difficulty challenges. That combat is fucking amazing and would warrant this kind of interest.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, at its peak Far cry 5 didn't reach the same amount of concurrent viewers as God of War has.

Which could be as simple a factor as someone like Lirik just not being on at the same time as other big streamers during its peak day. The twitch viewship numbers people keep pointing at are more there just because of what large streamer is currently on. Lirik and Soda alone are almost 100K of the total, when one of them stop the stream, their viewers aren't going to all jump to another stream, most just log off twitch for the day until he's on again since they all have fostered userbases. Peak viewership is incredibly finicky to look at.

Now, all the bigger streamers wanting to play GoW on release date is more of a reasonable thing to look at. There's clearly interest in the game from that.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is piracy for losers and they deserve ridicule.

Buy the game, play the game.

Piracy for losers? I guess you don't realise game devs/publishers not only give Twitch streamers free copies of their games, they also do sponsored streams where they pay top streamers to play their games for exposure...some of the sheer ignorance on display on this forum sometimes is honestly mind-blowing.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Piracy for losers? I guess you don't realise game devs/publishers not only give Twitch streamers free copies of their games, they also do sponsored streams where they pay top streamers to play their games for exposure...some of the sheer ignorance on display on this forum sometimes is honestly mind-blowing.

Don't worry, it's all over the world not just here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I follow someone that does a 40 hour charity stream every year, 26 hours in a row is stupid but not unbelievable.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I guess a legit concern with twitch and games like god of war and the whole waking simulater argument is that you can just watch these kind if games on twitch and get the full experience for free. But then I can always just watch the halo 6 campaign for free whenever that comes out to. So it's like that whole walking simulator argument is stupid.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I guess a legit concern with twitch and games like god of war and the whole waking simulater argument is that you can just watch these kind if games on twitch and get the full experience for free. But then I can always just watch the halo 6 campaign for free whenever that comes out to. So it's like that whole walking simulator argument is stupid.

people who get their fill of a game while watching a stream were never going to buy the game to begin with. There are lots of games I will never buy that I watch.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't realize that God of War was being called a walking simulator.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol even Disguisedtoast is playing it and i have only seen him play Hearthstone(his main game) Pubg and Fortnite.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is "doing bunkers" good?

And when it was SoT everyone was super quick to point out that it doesn't mean anything.

I can't imagine the psychology behind haggling over a 15% difference in twitch views.

Last edited:

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The numbers are absolutely extraordinary.

I've never seen a single player game reach nearly 300k.

Unless somehow twitch userbase has dramatically grown.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is "doing bunkers" good?

And when it was SoT everyone was super quick to point out that it doesn't mean anything.

I can't imagine the psychology behind haggling over a 15% difference in twitch views.
Well those people are wrong, including me if I said that but I cent recall.

Sea of thieves was one of Microsoft's best selling exclusives in a while.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't call watching someone play a game the "full experience". Like I can watch and appreciate PUBG streamers/pro players who are much, much better than myself get ~20 kills and win a chicken dinner, but in no way does it compare to the feeling of playing and winning a game yourself, far from it.