• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've been watching God of War streams for a couple of hours now. Have no interest in buying the game (or a console for that matter) tho.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
DUT4pXg.png

An exception doesn't prove a point though. What people are saying isn't wrong. BotW was big on Twitch shortly after it came out.

Plus, Labo is hugely different from a traditional video game and probably doesn't even appeal to the same demographic that watches people play video games on Twitch, so I don't really get what you're trying to get at.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It also doesn't help that Nintendo Labo is nearly impossible to stream normally. You need an entirely different setup than 99% of streamers currently have.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
An exception doesn't prove a point though. What people are saying isn't wrong. BotW was big on Twitch shortly after it came out.

Plus, Labo is hugely different from a traditional video game and probably doesn't even appeal to the same demographic that watches people play video games on Twitch, so I don't really get what you're trying to get at.
People are downplaying the hell out of God of War numbers for some reason.
I'm just offering a counter point for a similarly hyped game.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why do people always make a thread like this? same was made for Far Cry 5 also. Big Twitch streamers always stream AAA titles so of course the view count will be high, by next week it will be sub 20k and 5k a week after

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK Sea of Thieves hit a peak of 280k viewers or so. But I agree with the summation that this happens to nearly every big release on Twitch.

The single player nature of God of War is also likely to lead to a sharp decline once people have finished the game on stream.

I found this article - http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/05/sea-thieves-closed-beta-1-twitch-330000-players-7287984/
So 330k viewers. I read about 380k somewhere, though. Don't have a link right now.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was more of a shock when Kingdom Come hit these numbers honestly. That game had 0 mainstream hype and almost 0 coverage from the media and it still blew up on twitch.

It's expected for the biggest games to do this.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Really naive downplaying going on in here.

Games don't trend like this just for being new.

True, not "just for being new". For being new, being massively hyped by fans, having a huge marketing budget, a big brand name and having no major competition (as in no other big games out this week, no huge esports events etc). No need to be defensive, God of War will be a huge hit for Sony. Even without people trying to interpret something fairly normal as a highly unusual omen of sorts.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just offering a counter point for a similarly hyped game.

I was responding to you telling you why your "counterpoint" is a poor counterpoint. Labo is a wholly different product that appeals to a completely different set of people and like someone else stated, is going to be very hard to actually stream with a traditional setup.

Again, if this game is still pulling out even half of these numbers in a week, it may be noteworthy. As of right now, a new big ticket video game being at the top of Twitch isn't surprising in the least.

I don't think anyone is trying to downplay how much people like God of War or anything. I think they are (rightfully) downplaying how special God of War being at the top of Twitch on the day it came out is, because that's not uncommon for new releases.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So....is Sony really good at combat games now? Between this and horizon which is open world, that's some pretty damn satisfying combat

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
This happens literally every time a big new game launches. However if you were to have some stats it would be a much more interesting thread. How is it doing compared to other big releases this year?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is piracy for losers and they deserve ridicule.

Buy the game, play the game.
Uh huh, and you have proof the people watching it have no interest in supporting the game? That they're all just pirates? Get out of here with this.

Shit should be just as banable as assuming people using emulators are inherently pirates, if not more so, because it's the same exact nonsense. Watching a game on Twitch says absolutely nothing about intentions to buy and play the game,and assuming the worst of a person like that based on absolutely nothing is absolutely uncalled for and completely over the line IMO. Just absolutely no reason to go there. Absolutely none.

And I'm very disappointed at whatever mod denied my report of this post for exactly those same reasons. Calling people pirates in emulator threads ain't cool and absolutely doesn't fly (and for good reason), and I don't see why stuff like this should either. It's just a completely uncalled for, unprovoked attack that derails threads like this on the subject. I can see no good reason to allow it and really how that's reconsidered.

And even ignoring the whole piracy thing, there's still going after them all the same, calling the people who watch the game on Twitch "losers" who "deserve ridicule." If that's the decision fine, I'll respect it, but I really, really don't get it.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
True, not "just for being new". For being new, being massively hyped by fans, having a huge marketing budget, a big brand name and having no major competition (as in no other big games out this week, no huge esports events etc). No need to be defensive, God of War will be a huge hit for Sony. Even without people trying to interpret something fairly normal as a highly unusual omen of sorts.

Did Labo not come out this week or something? Or are we already at the point pretending like its not a notable release

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
This is the type of game I won't watch anything about other than the reviews till I get a PS4.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Shocking? Not really. Anticipated game will always end up being #1 on Twitch for couple of days.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Most hyped release of the year leads to a buttload streamers to try to profit off said very hype. News at 11

The game is huge, this is no surprise, though.

I'm on a total blackout, though. Haven't even watched the GB quick look...

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really naive downplaying going on in here.

Games don't trend like this just for being new.
So now being factual is "downplaying". Good god big console exclusives make people act funny.

This. I don't know why it's needed.

Every time a hyped release comes out and jumps to the top of Twitch people are convinced its meaningful. It's only meaningful if it stays there for months on end, which is how people knew PUBG was a phenomenon. GOW, like other single player games will blow up initially and then quickly fall down the list as the multiplayer games resume their hold on the top spots.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
This game won't break any twitch records or do spectacular over a good period of time on twitch(will die out fast like monster hunter) coz game is on ps4 only and a lot of big and small streamers play on pc exclusively. Same reason why monster hunter wasn't streamed by many streamers.
Happy for its success though! 1st week 4 mil sales I'm hoping.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
People deserve ridicule and being called pirates for watching a game being played on a streaming video service on which this sort of thing is regarded as perfectly normal and legal?

Yeah, kinda. It's sneaking into a movie theater. It's watching through a window for free. It's enabling an army of annoying little gamer shits to run around and spoil some stuff they only experienced by proxy.

I'm gonna yell at that cloud. I don't mind being that old man. I know I'm in the minority, though. Feel free to ignore me while you watch single player games online. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch Black Panther on YouTube. Ya know, to see if I might want to buy it later.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a new game so of course it would blow up. This is not very surprising....however, I really don't understand streaming single player games.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Did Labo not come out this week or something? Or are we already at the point pretending like its not a notable release

Are we going to pretend that Labo doesn't appeal to a completely different audience than God of War, Twitch, and even video games in general? It's a cardboard toy set.

No one is saying these aren't good numbers for God of War. They are. But they aren't earth shattering for a massively hyped up new release, single player or not.