• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Phil Spencer really put his foot in his mouth talking down on Single player experiences.
He said examples for successful SP games are rare which is true. Some established and properly marketed AAA SP games do really well, but some really struggle to find audience with even with good/decent reviews. For example - Sunset Overdrive, new Wolfenstien 1 and 2, Dishonored 2, Watch dogs 2, Quantum break, Evil within 2 and Prey. Bethesda SP games except ES and Fallout, really struggle to hit huge sales mark even with good reviews. Pretty sure there are few more that i can't remember.

Sony big AAA SP games are not only good but get way bigger marketing push than most SP only games. God of war is also a very well established franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
No surprises here. I've been saying for weeks that of all the games that have ever claimed to be "cinematic", God of War is the most intensely watchable one I've seen and one of the only games I can think of that actually satisfies as cinema. More than any single-player game I can remember, it was made to be watched as well as played.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, how you could go from calling these guys random nobodies to talking about "professional reviews". Astounding.

Some of them are pretty famous yeah. Ninja makes like half a million a month and has played on stream with people like Drake, so certainly more notable than an average video game reviewer. I wouldn't say every gamer should know them though.

Not all streamers are obnoxious either. Sure, that's a large part of the demographic. But there's dudes like CohhCarnage who are just pretty down to earth people playing games that have managed to accumulate a large community.

Ninja specifically is breaking a ton of ground for this stuff. He trended above every athlete in march outside of Ronaldo and Lebron.

g5uBPefl.jpg

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The salt in this thread... Wow.
what salt

can we please ban the word "salt" because people apparently think it means "any opinion that doesn't match up with mine completely". There is no whining or salt in this thread. There are people (calmly) explaining why this is impressive but not mind-blowing.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
He said examples for successful SP games are rare which is true. Some established and properly marketed AAA SP games do really well, but some really struggle to find audience with even with good/decent reviews. For example - Sunset Overdrive, new Wolfenstien 1 and 2, Dishonored 2, Watch dogs 2, Quantum break, Evil within 2 and Prey. Bethesda SP games except ES and Fallout, really struggle to hit huge sales mark even with good reviews. Pretty sure there are few more that i can't remember.

Sony big AAA SP games are not only good but get way bigger marketing push than most SP only games. God of war is also a very well established franchise.
This. This right here. It goes counter to what the hardcore typically think, but most SP games struggle. Yet everyone yells I'll wait till it's on ps+/gold or 30 dollars.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great option if you don't want or aren't able to play it, also to check it out if you're still on the fence.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Phil Spencer really put his foot in his mouth talking down on Single player experiences.
You should read the interview again. He didn't talk down single player experiences, he said that it is more difficult than ever to make a return on them because of diminishing sales in the genre coupled with customers heightened expectations. He actually cited Sony and said it's something they do very well. And his comments were in the light of trying to find another way of supporting these games economically to reduce that risk: ie Game Pass etc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what salt

can we please ban the word "salt" because people apparently think it means "any opinion that doesn't match up with mine completely". There is no whining or salt in this thread. There are people (calmly) explaining why this is impressive but not mind-blowing.

What would be a mind blowing Twitch view count in your opinion? Bare in mind this is an exclusive title, eg not on PC either.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what salt

There are people complaining about this thread being created, when it's been done in the past for multiple games (sea of thieves, far cry 5 etc)

Get used to it. Everytime a big release comes out l, specifically an exclusive, this type of thread will be made. No need to be salty about it.

Also, this is VERY impressive for a single player first party game, what planet are you living in? Even Far Cry 5 didn't hit these numbers, or sea of thieves (another exclusive)

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would be a mind blowing Twitch view count in your opinion? Bare in mind this is an exclusive title, eg not on PC either.
People are acting like this game is breaking records or something. It's doing extremely well on Twitch, but it's a massive critically acclaimed exclusive in a well-known series that was hyped to the stratosphere to the point of being somewhat obnoxious. This is the exact kind of viewership you'd expect day 1 of such a title with literally everything in its favor.

But anything that isn't hyperbolic adulation for this game is "salt" so

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. This right here. It goes counter to what the hardcore typically think, but most SP games struggle. Yet everyone yells I'll wait till it's on ps+/gold or 30 dollars.
Meh.

None of those games that he listed were exceptional in any way, to me at least. Wolfenstein would be closest. So yeah, I'll absolutely wait till they're on sale...can get like four of them for the price of a full priced retail game on BF.

I'm at the point where I'm not going to buy something day one unless it's very very good. Which ends up being a few games a year. My backlog is too big as it is.

You can't expect people to want to pay full price for games that are just "good".

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are acting like this game is breaking records or something. It's doing extremely well on Twitch, but it's a massive critically acclaimed exclusive in a well-known series that was hyped to the stratosphere to the point of being somewhat obnoxious. This is the exact kind of viewership you'd expect day 1 of such a title with literally everything in its favor.

But anything that isn't hyperbolic adulation for this game is "salt" so
It as only hyped as fuck after reviews hit. Were you not in the thread when the gameplay preview leaked??? I guess you don't remember that cluster fuck

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018

Yup, one hit AAA SP game doesn't mean that SP games are guaranteed money makers. AAA SP games cost almost double or triple than MP games and chances of them making money back is not 100% guaranteed, unless game is made by some big AAA developer like ND or Rockstar or it's backed by huge marketing budget along with fantastic review scores. I like S.P games more than M.P but still i don't fully disagree with Phil.

Also don't forget that he is talking from Xbox perspective, where SP games struggle more than MP games. Multiplayer games normally more popular on Xbox than SP

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Meh.

None of those games that he listed were exceptional in any way, to me at least. Wolfenstein would be closest. So yeah, I'll absolutely wait till they're on sale...can get like four of them for the price of a full priced retail game on BF.

I'm at the point where I'm not going to buy something day one unless it's very very good. Which ends up being a few games a year. My backlog is too big as it is.
And it's nothing wrong with thinking like that in fact it's smart and saves money, but it looses money for publishers making single player look less enticing. The games at the top of. Twitch year round seem to have something in common...

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And it's nothing wrong with thinking like that in fact it's smart and saves money, but it looses money for publishers making single player look less enticing. The games at the top of. Twitch year round seem to have something in common...

I don't think it means single player games are less enticing. Just means that people have higher standards for what they'll by.

I don't think that's any different for multiplayer games. You're right, the games at the top of Twitch year round do have something in common, they're all INCREDIBLE and the peak of their multiplayer genre. Counter Strike, Dota, Fortnite, LoL, Overwatch. These are supremely designed games (I don't particularly care for Overwatch or LoL, but I can't deny they're great).

Mediocre multiplayer games suffer from the same fate as mediocre single player ones on Twitch. Look at Sea of Thieves.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved, this is the game everyone should buy, even if you just have a Xbox one and none ps4; buy it anyway xD

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it the norm? Everyone knows the next big AAA single player game will go to number one but do they hit those numbers?
It's not about hitting a number. It's about staying there for awhile. New games are going to get more viewers as more and more people discover Twitch. It's about the longevity not the initial burst of interest.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I don't think it means single player games are less enticing. Just means that people have higher standards for what they'll by.

I don't think that's any different for multiplayer games. You're right, the games at the top of Twitch year round do have something in common, they're all INCREDIBLE and the peak of their multiplayer genre. Counter Strike, Dota, Fortnite, LoL, Overwatch. These are supremely designed games (I don't particularly care for Overwatch or LoL, but I can't deny they're great).

Mediocre multiplayer games suffer from the same fate as mediocre single player ones on Twitch. Look at Sea of Thieves.
That's on twitch though, it's much more harsh sales wise where the publishers make money. Take Rainbow six siege, stumbled out of the gate and left for dead, but because of its multiplayer nature Ubi was able to save it and even turn it around. I would say siege was mediocre at launch not bad but not great look at it now. If it was single player it would be buried and forgotten.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not about hitting a number. It's about staying there for awhile. New games are going to get more viewers as more and more people discover Twitch. It's about the longevity not the initial burst of interest.
Single player games by nature are not gonna have sustained success on Twitch. Especially story driven linear ones.

The games with sustained success are multiplayer because (good) multiplayer games provide dynamic experiences. No two games of Dota/CS/Fortnite play out the same. It makes it more interesting for the viewer, as well as the person playing it. There's a reason the big SP streamers are variety streamers, you can't just play through the same SP game over and over again. Multiplayer games also have the x-factor of being able to watch someone do things you can't, and learn from them (or just enjoy the skill if it's not something you'll realistically be able to learn to do). The only thing remotely close to that for SP games is speedrunning which is a pretty niche community, or hard games...something like Dark Souls/Nioh might see a bit more of a sustained success on Twitch, but even those run their course eventually.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's on twitch though, it's much more harsh sales wise where the publishers make money. Take Rainbow six siege, stumbled out of the gate and left for dead, but because of its multiplayer nature Ubi was able to save it and even turn it around. I would say siege was mediocre at launch not bad but not great look at it now. If it was single player it would be buried and forgotten.
For sure. Siege is a pretty rare example though, most bad multiplayer games don't recover that way.

Look at stuff like Evolve, or For Honor. Largely forgotten. It's not an easy thing to do and Ubisoft deserves a lot of credit for what they did with Siege.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are 100% sure of what the twitch effect is. It sells games. As evidenced by Sony wanting those eyes on it. And all kinds of other devs wanting their games streamed for like the past 6 years of twitch being around.

It's not even up for debate.

These attitudes don't make the defense force for twitch look any better than the aggressive old hat crowd that thinks you should only play games yourself.

I am not even against twitch and understand the positives (I said it would help this game in the same post lol) but recognize that it could go either way with each individual. Twitch being so big, of course Sony wants the extra advertising. It's just not everybody does the same thing I do, you do, or specific others do, that's really all I was saying.

Regardless, the benefits outweigh the positives in today's climate. If someone has a problem with the influence the platform has on gamers of the present/future, then that's their prerogative and they certainly aren't "wrong" in that regard either.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
These numbers at an initial glance don't mean much. In order to get a more accurate metric to know whether or not the game itself has "impressive" viewership, you need to check the average numbers the big streamers usually get vs. the viewership numbers it's getting now. The majority of these people watch because of the streamer and not the game.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You should read the interview again. He didn't talk down single player experiences, he said that it is more difficult than ever to make a return on them because of diminishing sales in the genre coupled with customers heightened expectations. He actually cited Sony and said it's something they do very well. And his comments were in the light of trying to find another way of supporting these games economically to reduce that risk: ie Game Pass etc.

I'm not saying he talked down to SP games as if they were garbage, just It seemed like he was trying to find an excuse for why he's more focused on online gaming. "Ehhh, its hard to invest in Single player experiences these days, so don't get mad at us for not offering a ton of 1P experiences like Sony does."

To me his comments read more like damage control to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
It seemed like he was trying to find an excuse to focus mainly on online gaming. "Ehhh, its hard to invest in Single player experiences these days, so don't get mad at us for not offering a ton of 1P experiences like Sony does."

And Nintendo. Both which are able to succeed in that front. So the odd man out would be a MS problem, more than the shifting focus off of them with words like 'risky', etc..

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And Nintendo. Both which are able to succeed in that front. So the odd man out would be a MS problem, more than the shifting focus off of them with words like 'risky', etc..

Yep, 100% damage control when you see both Nintendo and Sony finding success. The fact is it doesn't seem like Phil has invested enough in new teams that are focused on SP experiences. Whether that is by choice or a lack of a funds, the fact remains 1P games are still viable endeavors.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Twitch views apparently matter so much that Bungie concocted a "Destiny Summit" event and invited a bunch of streamers to come to it in an effort to raise awareness of the upcoming Destiny 2 DLC.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have insider info that Spider-Man is going to do the same thing when it comes out. But you didn't hear it from me.