• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
You should read the interview again. He didn't talk down single player experiences, he said that it is more difficult than ever to make a return on them because of diminishing sales in the genre coupled with customers heightened expectations. He actually cited Sony and said it's something they do very well. And his comments were in the light of trying to find another way of supporting these games economically to reduce that risk: ie Game Pass etc.

This. People don't seem to read what's written in the article or interview. They just jump to conclusions based on headlines.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Most streamed game ever on PSN now aswell, excluding the juggernaut Fortnite!

iGuf2LJ.jpg
First time I've seen any game break the 5 digit stream count on PS4. Fortnite is on another level.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's not unusual, happens with every big name launch on first day, regardless of whether they are multiplayer or single player. Check back again in 2 days time and it'll go down.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Did Rainbow Six Seige just get released in Japan? Why is it this high?

It's always this high. R6 is very popular.

Wow Most streamed game ever on PSN now aswell, excluding the juggernaut Fortnite!

MHW recently, or Uncharted also reached 3k digit IIRC.

Seriously, I don't get this thread. I always open the Live from Playstation tab everytime I fire my PS4, and this is just normal for a big AAA launch.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
If this game maintains this level viewership for whole week then it's seriously impressive. Let's wait and watch.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey OP, the game is doing "bonkers" not "bunkers" fyi. :D

The hype is pretty palpable for the game so I'm not surprised it's doing well on twitch. I imagine that number will grow in a few hours when folks in NA get off work.

I still think it's kinda silly to judge a game by any merit by its twitch numbers, but at the same time find it amusing that's it's surpassed certain games in peak viewership, when those certain games judge how successfully a game is by those numbers. Ironic.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Twitch views apparently matter so much that Bungie concocted a "Destiny Summit" event and invited a bunch of streamers to come to it in an effort to raise awareness of the upcoming Destiny 2 DLC.

Were you not the one that was ready to buy an X1X beacuse of twitch viewers for SoT? We get it you think this stinks more than 10 post from you are enaugh. Go get some fresh air.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Did Rainbow Six Seige just get released in Japan? Why is it this high?
Siege is a top 5 most played game on every platform it's on, and consistently on twitch top 10 atleast for a while everyday. It's also an esports title that receives consistent support and has a huge community. So regardless of the region it's always going to have a high player count.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's always this high. R6 is very popular.

MHW recently, or Uncharted also reached 3k digit IIRC.

Seriously, I don't get this thread. I always open the Live from Playstation tab everytime I fire my PS4, and this is just normal for a big AAA launch.

Right right, worldwide and all, but the Japanese text implies a localized release does it not?

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
It's not about hitting a number. It's about staying there for awhile. New games are going to get more viewers as more and more people discover Twitch. It's about the longevity not the initial burst of interest.

Its already doing better than sea of theives initial numbers and that was only a few weeks ago. To say its just higher b/c more people have discovered twitch and dismissing that maybe its b/c more people are interested in the game is strange to me. I agree that staying power is more important but initial numbers are important too especially so for single player game.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Were you not the one that was ready to buy an X1X beacuse of twitch viewers for SoT? We get it you think this stinks more than 10 post from you are enaugh. Go get some fresh air.
I'm the one that said he didnt buy an X1 because of how SOT looked on Twitch. Might want to some of that fresh air to your brain.

Its already doing better than sea of theives initial numbers and that was only a few weeks ago. To say its just higher bc more people have discovered twitch is and dismissing that maybe its bc more people are interested in the game is strange to me. I agree that staying power is more important but initial numbers are important too especially so for single player game.

Sea of Thieves isn't a great comparison given how long it was on Twitch prior to release.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I'm the one that said he didnt buy an X1 because of how SOT looked on Twitch. Might want to some of that fresh air to your brain.

Sea of Thieves isn't a great comparison given how long it was on Twitch prior to release.

Ok its doing better initial numbers than far cry 5 and that was only a couple of weeks ago.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Right right, worldwide and all, but the Japanese text implies a localized release does it not?

Honestly I dunno, but it's certainly not recent, I've been seeing the R6 in Japanese font for quite a while. It has a "healthy" (for a FPS) japanese playerbase for what I've seen.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are acting like this game is breaking records or something. It's doing extremely well on Twitch, but it's a massive critically acclaimed exclusive in a well-known series that was hyped to the stratosphere to the point of being somewhat obnoxious. This is the exact kind of viewership you'd expect day 1 of such a title with literally everything in its favor.

But anything that isn't hyperbolic adulation for this game is "salt" so

You didn't answer my question. What to you would be a mind blowing number of Twitch views?

Presumably topping Monster Hunter World, Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves etc isn't that impressive to you.

Far Cry 5 was a single player Ubi record at 260k peak viewers. This across multiple platforms.

P.S God of War is currently just shy of 290k now.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LOL got called out and now you're deflecting
Called out for what? For being excited for a game during a beta and then not being excited for it once the final game released and it wasn't impressive in its final state? Oh the horror! I know it might be hard for some people to grasp, but not everyone is a corporation superfan. Some of us honestly just play games without ulterior motives.

Destiny 2 has disappeared across the board, i haven´t played the game so can´t talk much but yeah something went wrong, Destiny 1 used to be a juggernaut.

I knew Fortnite was the hot new PVP game, but I didn't know Destiny just fell off the map like that. No wonder they're scrambling to recover.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
People getting aggressive man. An excited fan and a thread on the game's twitch views and if people are that mad then report the thread and don't comment here at all, ignore and move on.

Honestly, almost every huge AAA will see rank 1 on twitch. That's true. But god of war is doing very well. It already beat peak viewer number of both sea of thieves and far cry 5 both games that were recent, hugely marketed, and on pc. So it is doing impressive numbers as it's not even being streamed by big pc streamers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Called out for what? For being excited for a game during a beta and then not being excited for it once the final game released and it wasn't impressive in its final state? Oh the horror! I know it might be hard for some people to grasp, but not everyone is a corporation superfan. Some of us honestly just play games without ulterior motives.

I knew Fortnite was the hot new PVP game, but I didn't know Destiny just fell off the map like that. No wonder they're scrambling to recover.

Fortnite success is not the reason Destiny felt out of the map, Cod is still strong, MWH is going veeery strong etc... Destiny did something wrong.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fortnite success is not the reason Destiny felt out of the map, Cod is still strong, MWH is going veeery strong etc... Destiny did something wrong.
Without question. I just haven't used that app in awhile since Twitch improved their PS4 app, so I wasn't aware of just how badly Bungie screwed up. I know on Twitch they went from constantly being top 10 or 20 with D1 to now being lucky to be in the top 50 most days.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, almost every huge AAA will see rank 1 on twitch. That's true. But god of war is doing very well. It already beat peak viewer number of both sea of thieves and far cry 5 both games that were recent, hugely marketed, and on pc. So how is doing impressive numbers as it's not even being streamed by big pc streamers.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning that though. I get that OP is a fan of the game and is excited that it is doing well but I don't think there's an issue nothing that at least some part (and let's be real, a large part) of this is that it's a single player big budget new game. Obviously it's going above and beyond other games potentially due to a bunch of other factors, but I don't think it's something crazy noteworthy. It would be crazy if the game sustained these sorts of numbers. Right now it just seems to be going along with the trend of every other big single player game, even if the total viewer number is higher.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Looking at some of the other games with big viewership at launch and taking into account that God of War is a single-player game that's not on PC, the numbers are actually pretty impressive. Long-term viewership is most important, yes, but I think we can also agree that this is an impressive showing, even at launch. It tells me that there's a lot of excitement for the game from both big streamers and your average gamer.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People getting aggressive man. An excited fan and a thread on the game's twitch views and if people are that mad then report the thread and don't comment here at all, ignore and move on.

Honestly, almost every huge AAA will see rank 1 on twitch. That's true. But god of war is doing very well. It already beat peak viewer number of both sea of thieves and far cry 5 both games that were recent, hugely marketed, and on pc. So it is doing impressive numbers as it's not even being streamed by big pc streamers.

This exact same thing happened with Sea of Thieves, this exact same thing will happen with the next big game that blows up on Twitch.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
There's nothing wrong with mentioning that though. I get that OP is a fan of the game and is excited that it is doing well but I don't think there's an issue nothing that at least some part (and let's be real, a large part) of this is that it's a single player big budget new game. Obviously it's going above and beyond other games potentially due to a bunch of other factors, but I don't think it's something crazy noteworthy. It would be crazy if the game sustained these sorts of numbers. Right now it just seems to be going along with the trend of every other big single player game, even if the total viewer number is higher.
Yeah it'll die off in a few days. Multiplayer is what rules streaming. Single player games never will when it comes to sustaining numbers. It is going along the trend but as you admitted yourself it is doing better than other single player games. Actually better than any single player game. I was pointing out people who just thread whined instead of contributing anything else.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Are we gonna have daily updates like when Lawbreakers flopped? A shame it's not on Steam so people can keep posting concurrent players.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at some of the other games with big viewership at launch and taking into account that God of War is a single-player game that's not on PC, the numbers are actually pretty impressive. Long-term viewership is most important, yes, but I think we can also agree that this is an impressive showing, even at launch. It tells me that there's a lot of excitement for the game from both big streamers and your average gamer.

Yep this is a good summary of the situation

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, that post was made during the beta streams. Which looked fine and it was a widespread assumption that the game would have significantly more content.
I committed the crime of being interested in a game from Microsoft apparently.

I'm not sure anymore that longevity is even a variable when it comes to single player only games. Unless we're speaking of weeks instead of days, because as others have said MP (specifically PVP) rules Twitch. It's the rare single player game that stays relevant for very long. Makes BOTW more impressive that it keeps managing to do it, and Bloodborne although I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to the invasion mechanic.