• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at some of the other games with big viewership at launch and taking into account that God of War is a single-player game that's not on PC, the numbers are actually pretty impressive. Long-term viewership is most important, yes, but I think we can also agree that this is an impressive showing, even at launch. It tells me that there's a lot of excitement for the game from both big streamers and your average gamer.

Completely agreed.

I think people just like to have hope I guess.

Me? I'm realistic. But I can appreciate the optimism.

I know what you mean.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never play the game since it's a console exclusive so watching it is a good option. It will fall off a cliff before long but it's pretty cool to see a single player game doing so well.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
People are acting like this game is breaking records or something. It's doing extremely well on Twitch, but it's a massive critically acclaimed exclusive in a well-known series that was hyped to the stratosphere to the point of being somewhat obnoxious. This is the exact kind of viewership you'd expect day 1 of such a title with literally everything in its favor.

But anything that isn't hyperbolic adulation for this game is "salt" so
We found the guy who's pissed at God of Wars success...

OP
OP
v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Without question. I just haven't used that app in awhile since Twitch improved their PS4 app, so I wasn't aware of just how badly Bungie screwed up. I know on Twitch they went from constantly being top 10 or 20 with D1 to now being lucky to be in the top 50 most days.

Oh you gotta download the new Twitch app my friend it is AMAZING!

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people just like to have hope I guess.

Me? I'm realistic. But I can appreciate the optimism.
For me it was hoping to finally have a reason to buy an Xbox One X. I don't see anything else that could push me to do so until Red Dead, which I could just as easily play on my Pro albeit with lesser performance. Was hoping for an exclusive or two to sway me and SOT looked to be one. Didn't happen though. So in that regard Twitch is a wonderful tool for shoppers. I use it far more than I would game reviews to make decisions.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was going to say every game in the beginning has good twitch numbers but damn...291K is something else.

I remember twitch blowing up when Titanfall-1 and Bloodborne was released - and having nowhere near these numbers.

OP
OP
v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FXLJ9sZ.jpg

Still a little bit left to the magic number 4K!

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it makes sense for GoW to be doing well on twitch right now, it's a major release and a lot of people were looking forward to it, so assuming most of the major streamer were in fact people who were looking forward to the game then naturally view counts are going to be insane lol.

It'd be like putting GoW on national news and then saying 100m americans are watching God of War right now.

I don't wanna say the numbers aren't impressive because damn 200k+ for a single player game is insane. But keeping things in perspective, it's very likely a lot of these people tuned in to their favorite streamer who normally does Fortnite or something and they're instead playing GoW. Which is why twitch numbers aren't a particularly reliable metric.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Why you would ruin the best single player game this year for yourself is something I can not understand

Oct 25, 2017
Why you would ruin the best single player game this year for yourself is something I can not understand
People might not own a PS4 and are checking it out? People might not be interested in playing it themselves but want to watch their favorite personality react to it? People might be on the fence and would like to see how the opening hours of the game play out? It could be a whole host of things.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I am actually genuinely surprised this game is doing well. It looked so uninteresting to me, and I'm very unlikely going to ever get it.

Good on the devs, though. I remember a lot of negativity around it originally, seems they turned that around well enough :)

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
People might not own a PS4 and are checking it out? People might not be interested in playing it themselves but want to watch their favorite personality react to it? People might be on the fence and would like to see how the opening hours of the game play out? It could be a whole host of things.
I watched a bit of the opening section being played to get an idea of if I wanted to go ahead with it.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it makes sense for GoW to be doing well on twitch right now, it's a major release and a lot of people were looking forward to it, so assuming most of the major streamer were in fact people who were looking forward to the game then naturally view counts are going to be insane lol.

It'd be like putting GoW on national news and then saying 100m americans are watching God of War right now.

I don't wanna say the numbers aren't impressive because damn 200k+ for a single player game is insane. But keeping things in perspective, it's very likely a lot of these people tuned in to their favorite streamer who normally does Fortnite or something and they're instead playing GoW. Which is why twitch numbers aren't a particularly reliable metric.

The three people pulling in the views are all variety streamers. They don't play Fortnite. Most of the big multiplayer game streamers pretty much only play a certain game. Ninja only plays Fortnite for example.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
FUCK ME, I just spoiled a weapon from watching a second of sodapoppins stream. I just couldn't hold out and I f'ed up.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's kinda painful watching LIRIK play this game on the highest difficulty cause he's just dying over and over again. He's played like double the amount of time I had but made like half the progress. ;_;

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
No matter what this is a good thing and over 200k is crazy.

Also people underestimate how many people buy a game after seeing a LP of it on Youtube or Twitch.

Didnt believe it myself but hearing from multiple youtubers and streamers that they get messages that people bought the game after watching them is more common than you think.

OP
OP
v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys almost 4K Streaming on PSN, Horizon peaked at around 2K btw if anyone is interested :p

Qvoi2kg.jpg

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what salt

can we please ban the word "salt" because people apparently think it means "any opinion that doesn't match up with mine completely". There is no whining or salt in this thread. There are people (calmly) explaining why this is impressive but not mind-blowing.
Maybe replace with shook. This game has everyone shook.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they don't have enough interest or desire to actually play it, much less consider it the best single-player game of the year when it's only April and already faces stiff competition.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watching full length playthroughs of videogames sounds like such a colossal waste of time, you're not even getting a fraction of the experience if you're not playing it yourself.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not with the same amount on viewers it doesn't.

Far cry 5 is on three platforms and didn't even reach this high.

So no, it doesn't always happen, at least not the numbers GOW is pulling ofd
watching games on twitch doesn't require you to own the platform where the game is released so i'm not sure how is that relevant at all.
Sea of Thieves also reached just as high.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said this with Sea Of Thieves so I think it's only fair I repeat if with God Of War. I truly don't understand this twitch viewership as a measurement of success. The Launch of God Of War was huge here in the UK. I personally know friends who went to pick up the game in GAME stores and were up-sold PSN credit because it was out of stock.

I heard about the game selling out in Germany from a few of my German friends but this viewership on twitch is always a head scratcher. The numbers will start high and then drop. I got GOW last night and it's a flawless experience so far. It might actually dethrone Horizon as my game of the generation but I've always felt lost in the conversation about launch days views.