• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to know if the boss battles are any good.

Without spoiling anything, are they massive in scale? Most importantly, are they numerous and fun to fight?

I'm only a couple of hours in, but so far there's been 2 really good boss battles. Both bastard hard, but satisfying (on the top difficulty for 1st playthrough). The first was against a big foe probably comparable to a cyclops from the original games, and the second was more like Perseus from #2.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah.

Giving your franchise some form of "Realistic, grounded and emotional" coat of paint is kind of the most generic way to reboot your franchise since the last decade or so

Fuck at this point i'd almost call it safe.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
2d focused system to a 3d focused system

Yes? They very easily could have made mario 64 a stage focused obstacle course like prior Mario games (see the 3d land/world titles). Instead they shifted the genre from a pure platformer to a collectathon where exploring larger worlds was the focus. They removed all the iconic Mario power ups and abilities and replaced then with a widly different moveset and power up system.

If Mario 64 is just progression of the tech then gow 2018 is playing catch up to it's contemporaries in the genre adding things other AAA modern action games are already doing.
that's a good point

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it that bold when that was just a natural progression of the tech though?
That's not all SM64 did though? It's not just the jump from 2D to 3D, it's everything else that went along with it. Like switching from platforming-based obstacle course individual levels, to a non-linear sandbox focused on exploration and finding collectibles. The switch from focus on platforming challenges in prior games like World to non-linear sandbox, where you could tackle worlds in a pretty broad number of different orders collecting Power Stars, going to and from and back again (and indeed had to do that even from the fist world as you can't collect all the Power Stars in Bob-Omb Battlefield until you have the Wing Cap, so you have to leave and collect enough Power Stars to unlock it before you can finish it at the very least) is the type of thing that has absolutely nothing to do with technology and something Nintendo decided to do anyway.

That is to say, if it was just about technology, they could have made a game much more like platforming that would more retain the feeling of prior games like SMW, like something like 3D World (with lesser graphics and like of course, but the same kind of idea) or something like the Crash Bandicoot games, but they made SM64 instead, so to just downplay it to a natural progression of the tech seems very inaccurate to me.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
If you're saying bold as in it changes alot from the previous games yes. If you're saying bold as in it took alot of risks I'd disagree as so many of the changes are probably the safest choices they could have made.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone at Sony SM: "Look how well TLOU did. People are going to gobble up UC4. I took a look at what the guys over at GG are working on as well. We just need to give God of War the Sony super single player cinematic experience and we're gold!!!!"

At some point I hope a Sony studio makes something that isn't a 3rd person narrative driven cinematic game. With Death Stranding, the Zombie game, and TLOU 2 coming down the pipe, I won't hold my breath.

Hey man, I've got great news: there are plenty that don't follow this template! Might I recommend Knack 2, Gravity Rush/2, Driveclub, Gran Turismo Sport, Bloodborne, Helldivers, Resogun and Ratchet and Clank for starters.

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4 was damn near a genre change. Actually.....it WAS a genre change. A survival horror franchise was changed in to an action third person shooter. The camera was a huge change. Ammo and item conservation was on a much lower level of importance. Enemies drop items which encourages engagement while previous games encouraged avoiding encounters. It introduced a checkpoint system and you were no longer limited in how many times you could save, eliminating a huge aspect of survival for the franchise. The tone was completely different.

And the thing is, RE4 wasn't like anything else at the time. It was a radical reinvention of the franchise, but one that wasn't taking cues from any other game out there. RE4 was the influencer when all was said and done. What RE4 did was much more radical than what GOW is doing.

Super Mario 64 is a big one as well. I'll be honest. Mario 64 being so different is why I HATED the game when I first played it. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THIS ISN'T MARIO BOOOOOOOOO! Genunely my reaction. They turned a platforming franchise among the best in the genre in to a watered down adventure game with platforming elements. The focus shifted from tight platforming and overcoming obstacles to pure exploration and collecting.

There was a radical change to Mario's moveset. You could do shit like triple jumps, long jumps and even the core jump on enemies to beat them mechanic was changed to allow you to punch them. The health system from previous games was done away with completely. Now coins revovered your health.

Mario 64 wasn't 2D Mario adapted to a 3D environment. Years later 3D Land/World would be that. No, Mario 64 was a completely new franchise with a Mario skin. I wasn't happy with it, but I will certainly say it was a radical reinvention of the franchise.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's a rad game for sure, but the changes aren't that radical. Clearly not the biggest and boldest changes to an already established IP, Warcraft that's already been mentioned would fit the bill better. God of War got rebooted in a really safe way. Seeing the new direction for the first time didn't make me go "they are doing what?" but "well obviously".

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
In terms of quality it is probably something like Resident Evil 4 as it entirely changed the face of that genre and several around it for over a decade. If you ignore quality completely there are dozens of great examples of a dev/publisher absolutely not understanding what the IP is and going in a completely bonkers direction. Guilty Gear 2: Overture is the first that comes to mind, but there are way better examples.

I hear it changes up a lot later on to be more in-line with the past titles, but the new God of War only really to me seems like a major change in the series in terms of presentation. In that regard I still think it should have been a new IP, but I also agree that the old style was beyond stale at this point so maybe they made the right move.

As someone who loves Zelda and thinks Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I have ever played, fans give that franchise waaaay too much credit for basically everything.

Edit: World of Warcraft is another fantastic example.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Not in a world where Bomberman Act Zero exists.

Bomberman-300x263.jpg

Or Command & Conquer 4.

Man what a disaster of a game.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I like that that they simply named it 'God of War', going all in with the new direction instead of attaching a subtitle or something.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The BOLDEST and MOST RADICAL reimagining of an established series?

BoFV-PS2-Classics-JP.jpg

There you go.

From a traditional turn-based JRPG with multiple characters to a mostly linear strategy-based JRPG with a restrictive save system and permadeath mechanic.

I'd mention Guilty Gear Overture, but that entry wasn't actually still a fighting game.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The "all Sony games are linear, cinematic games" is one of the laziest critic I've seen, on par with "Nintendo games are childish". I legitimately wonder if those who say that just watch story trailers of these games and then spout that nonsense...

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
And somehow it's still god of war through and through. Its like God of War ultra mega super plus edition

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, maybe?

I mean it certainly wasn't considered an improvement, but still.
That did a hard reboot of the entire continuity of the series, but LoS wasn't the first, second or even third time (or fourth, if you want to get technical) that Konami set out to do a big 3D action-adventure game for the series. Heck, it's even level-based like the 2D games, and unless my memory is really failing me here, even IGA's 3D installments were designed to be more contiguous experiences.

Last edited:

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Giving your franchise some form of "Realistic, grounded and emotional" coat of paint is kind of the most generic way to reboot your franchise since the last decade or so

Fuck at this point i'd almost call it safe.

So true. Certainly within Sony's first party output, this reimagining is par for the course now. Still enjoying it though.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
How can you call that a spinoff instead of a direct sequel when it directly continues the story?

Imo, the departure from Warcraft 1-3 - top down Real Time Strategy games with light RPG elements in the form of Heroes and some equippable items for them in the third game - to World of Warcraft - a Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing game, where you are basically one of the many soldiers or hired adventureres - is a much bigger move. Yes, it retains the characters and world, but it has nothing to do in terms of gameplay with it's previous games. It was a completely different genre, yet a direct continuation of the story, so it can't even be called a spinoff or reboot.
Hmmm
Maybe you're right

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
GTA from a top down to a open world (not just talking views, the interaction in the world dramatically changed)
Warcraft from a RTS to a MMORPG
Donkey Kong from a simplistic Atari looking game to a action 3d platformer.
Hell the first Red Dead game compared to RDR

All more different. This is just new game hyperbole

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What exact gameplay of GoW are you looking for? I think this games marries the 'soulsborne' and DMC combat perfectly . It's not as button mash-y as the older ones and actually a lot closer to DMC due to variety of moves you can pull and string together but you still have to look out for enemy attack attentively. Mastering the combat feels so good especially since the game id actually challenging.

It just looks so mashy in videos, and not in a good way. And it doesn't help that I'm not really interested in a Souls-inspired take on God of War. I prefer my Souls games to be Souls games so I can compartmentalize the frustration they cause in me. The last thing I want is games that should be relaxing and fun stressing me the hell out with difficulty.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's not bold, because it's taking the series into a much safer direction for the current market into proven territory and away from a formula that is well worn out. It's not radical, because unlike Mario 64 and RE4 it didn't essentially create a new genre. It borrows from Dark Souls and The Last of Us. I mean, that is such a by-the-numbers, bandwagoning-on-current-trends creative decision it's almost unintentional parody. But it's obviously a great game, so it seems petty to dwell on it.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It just looks so mashy in videos, and not in a good way. And it doesn't help that I'm not really interested in a Souls-inspired take on God of War. I prefer my Souls games to be Souls games so I can compartmentalize the frustration they cause in me. The last thing I want is games that should be relaxing and fun stressing me the hell out with difficulty.
Maybe just play it? The only "souls-like"-aspect ist the camera-perspective. It plays pretty much like old God of War but with a new weapon. There are some crazy mechanics in the game and the action is very over-the-top, just like old GoW. The game isn't hard on normal difficulty and you can always switch to the easiest setting to focus on the story.

I don't think this game is a truly bold reimagination. It feels more like a natural evolution of the concept with mixing stuff up and adding new things for me. It still feels 100% like a God of War game. And that is good thing.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It might look that way in videos, but it's anything but, depending on the difficulty being played of course.

Also, If you want a relaxing game, just play on one of the lower difficulties. If however you fancy a more methodical and demanding experience, play one of the harder difficulties.

Also, in this thread there are a lot of people who've clearly not played the game suggesting this new title is little more than a cinematic third person makeover. Far, far from it. Actual gameplay, moveset, mechanics and systems wise, God of War is actually more comprehensive and deep than any of the Soulsborne or DMC games. Not just in a small way either.

I know that might sound hyperbolic, but when you finally play it, you'll see why myself and others are saying it. Mid to late game there is such a wealth and abundance of systems and mechanics at work in combat at any one time, it's almost overwhelming. I'm 30+ hours in, and I'm still constantly being surprised, learning or practicing new plays, strategic options, testing new runes, exploring better parry, deflect, stun, special and combat timings and so on.

On the gameplay side, the upgrade system also allows you to customise builds to an extent that even looking at screens, videos etc from other players, I can see so many people focusing on a multitude of different things. Obviously late to end game things will start to converge as more and more people unlock everything, but in terms of enhancements and Runic specials equipped, things are still going to differ.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You really need to play it in order to get a proper feel for the combat. Seriously, just watching videos isn't doing it justice.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe just play it? The only "souls-like"-aspect ist the camera-perspective. It plays pretty much like old God of War but with a new weapon. There are some crazy mechanics in the game and the action is very over-the-top, just like old GoW. The game isn't hard on normal difficulty and you can always switch to the easiest setting to focus on the story.

I don't think this game is a truly bold reimagination. It feels more like a natural evolution of the concept with mixing stuff up and adding new things for me. It still feels 100% like a God of War game. And that is good thing.

I know this is going to sound silly, but it's not really like old God of War if you can't air combo or juggle things. It's an important part of the stylish action genre that's just gone now that Kratos is rooted to the ground like he's made of rock. I recognize it's a weird thing to get hung up on, but it's just not what I wanted.

You really need to play it in order to get a proper feel for the combat. Seriously, just watching videos isn't doing it justice.

If the combat system can't be adequately explained or extrapolated through footage, then they should've released a demo.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Also, in this thread there are a lot of people who've clearly not played the game suggesting this new title is little more than a cinematic third person makeover. Far, far from it. Actual gameplay, moveset, mechanics and systems wise, God of War is actually more comprehensive and deep than any of the Soulsborne or DMC games. Not just in a small way either.
Wut. The game has no stamina system so you can just spam attacks until the enemy decides to attack, then all you have to do is block, and there is such a huge block window it's not even particularly challenging. You can knock enemies into the air, but it changes nothing other than making them not be able to attack you, you get no new moves or abilities of any significance while the enemy is in the air due to there being no jumping. If you could jump you could have different moves or abilities while being in the air, but they couldn't do that because they removed jumping for some reason. You get new abilities but almost all of them serve the same purpose. You can throw your axe to freeze enemies, thus keeping them from attacking you. So many of the abilities are just variations on that exact same concept. The fact that I have beaten the vast majority of fights by spamming the same two moves over and over doesn't exactly speak well for it's supposed depth.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is going to sound silly, but it's not really like old God of War if you can't air combo or juggle things. It's an important part of the stylish action genre that's just gone now that Kratos is rooted to the ground like he's made of rock. I recognize it's a weird thing to get hung up on, but it's just not what I wanted.

If the combat system can't be adequately explained or extrapolated through footage, then they should've released a demo.

If you say so. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This really sounds silly. Believe me, I am a big fan of stylish action. And the new God of War has some of the best stylish battles ever created. You will forgot very fast that you can't jump because there are other great mechanics in the game. Just do yourself the favor and play it.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Not sure if MGSV has been mentioned yet

Every other games were very linear and told the story by codecs

MGSV nothing like it. Think that was a bigger change

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's another thing I'm loving about this game. Even though it's a MASSIVE reboot, it still constantly makes meaningful connections and callbacks to the old games. As a fan of the series, that's very good to see.

The difference is that the original LoZ did a lot of what BotW does. Literally no God of War game has ever been anything like this new one.
I couldn't shield surf or fight dungeons in original LoZ. Couldn't go straight to the final boss. Couldn't climb. The whole open air concept wasn't a thing.
It took inspiration from the first game, but we're really downplaying what BotW did differently.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This really sounds silly. Believe me, I am a big fan of stylish action. And the new God of War has some of the best stylish battles ever created. You will forgot very fast that you can't jump because there are other great mechanics in the game. Just do yourself the favor and play it.

When it's cheaper, or when they release a demo, I will. Like I said before, $60 is just too much to ask for a maybe. Especially with an annoying kid character.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I'm just going to assume anyone saying it feels like TLoU hasn't played the game
The similarities aren't exactly hard to see. You have an invincible companion following you around constantly talking. Alot of the puzzles are the same "Get child up onto ledge so they can help you get up". Entire story has similar themes of a parental figure learning to let go of previous tragedies to appreciate their new child.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The similarities aren't exactly hard to see. You have an invincible companion following you around constantly talking. Alot of the puzzles are the same "Get child up onto ledge so they can help you get up". Entire story has similar themes of a parental figure learning to let go of previous tragedies to appreciate their new child.
This statement makes me assume that you didn't play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.