• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't compare to RE4, which not only shifted its style, its set the template for modern 3rd person over the shoulder games.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Well Resident Evil 4 exists so I'm gonna have to go with that one. Infact even RE7 is pretty damn bold when you consider that it throws away everything we've known about RE for the past several years i.e. third person, big budget, variable locations and actually ends up going first person set in one small location.

You could say it went back to RE1 style in terms of scope and horror but it's still a radical departure from a series that was known for being a big budget action game franchise. Basically RE has done it twice.

Then there's Metroid Prime series.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I think Grand Theft Auto 3 after all those top-down viewpoint games in the series was pretty special too.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario 64 and BOTW were bolder because they didn't follow any conventions.
God Of War is in fact very similar to RE4, it's a change for this series sure, but it doesn't do anything new.
God of War had a model to copy.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's a 13 year old, well-known, well-loved series with six games following a specific formula and loop in the bag already. Such a radical change for something like that is very bold.

It's a lot less bold when you consider it's following a similar template that other games are going down. If anything it seems less unique now even if very accomplished.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I think it is more of a perspective shift. The combat eventually sort of felt a bit like the other or at least like a good evolution of it.

I am not sure if I agree or not. RE4 seems like a bigger departure. I'd put BOTW and GOW in the same spot though as they feel like games that totally changed the formula while remaining the same in some way.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you enjoy it but good lord these hyperbole threads are embarrassing

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love GOW but have to agree that GTA3 was more of a shift. It kept what worked and created a new genre that is still going strong.

Also Super Mario Kart taking the world of a 2d platformer and expanding into one of the biggest (if not the biggest) racing franchises out of nowhere.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the game opens up and shows me why you think so past the 5 or so hours I've played of the game so far. Because despite the different setting and over the shoulder combat, it very much does not depart much from the original trilogy in terms of core gameplay loop. Regardless of whether it is or not as OP claims, it should be a fun ride and I'm excited to play more.

This for me. Only have put a few hours in myself but I have yet to witness the revolution. I too am not downplaying what I have experienced, but in actuality I find myself thinking how reminiscent the game actually kind of is to the older titles despite the perspective shift(arena rooms, linear hallways routes with hidden chests obscured by objects or viewpoint, environmental roadblocks to suss out). It's largely familiar to the older games that I revisited this past summer despite how advanced the tech has gotten.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there have been bolder shifts. Like going from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
OP is probably a kid. RE4 shifted an entire industry and broke almost every rule the series had established except tank controls.

Then there's other games like Ninja Gaiden, Metroid Prime and others that radically reinvented their series in efforts to modernize.

Why the fuck do people not remember their history of videogames? Shit, as good as God of War is, it's cribbing a hell of a whole lot from giants. We've seen this story before.

Status
Not open for further replies.