• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
We're thrilled to announce that God of War (2018) will be coming to PC on January 14, 2022! All of us at Santa Monica Studio have been humbled by the immense amount of support and passions fans of the God of War series have shown in the latest chapter of Kratos' story since its release. As of August 2021, 19.5MM copies for God of War on PlayStation 4 have been sold through and we can't wait to share that experience with a whole new group of players on PC.
blog.playstation.com

God of War (2018) is coming to PC

The Santa Monica Studio title launches on PC January 14, 2022.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
That's an incredible success! Hot damn!

I remember when Sony's games were barely getting to 5 million a lot of the time, except Gran Turismo. Times have changed.

Hopefully the PC release is a good experience for people who have waited for years for this.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
We all knew this one made the franchise much bigger than it is but this a phenomenal performance.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Looks like the report I saw a few months back of 25M was wrong, still great we have official numbers and how much it sold

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's a lot. Sony really kicked into high gear with their first-party games last gen.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That's A LOT. Good for Santa Monica Studio, they were in a rough spot for a while, and they managed to just kill it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Same number roughly as Monster Hunter World on a single platform in the same rough timeline. Thats pretty amazing.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic sales glad that this game has been able to break out to mega success. Zelda and God of War are my two favorite series and seeing the latest games being so successful give me joy.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I guess it's safe to say Ragnarok will sell at least a few copies when it comes out next year. was worried for it!

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive. This is likely in the top 3 - 4 selling PlayStation exclusives then, alongside Spider-Man, The Last of Us 1 and possibly Uncharted 4?

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
My personal CO-Game of last generation (with BOTW)...absolutely fucking amazing 10/10 game.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved to say the least. One of the best games ever made. Ragnarok is gonna be massive.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is a great example of why they don't have a GP like service with day 1 releases. Even tho it's been $20-$40 for probably half of that 19M, that's a ton of money.

if Sony made an average of $25 off each copy @19.5M, that's almost half a billion in revenue. It's probably higher.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I feel like ragnarok could hit 30 million by the time the ps6 comes out. Maybe the first one will get close for sure with the pc release.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Finally an update on sales. Wonder where the franchise is overall. Have they broken into the 60 million sales?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Well deserved.

Insane

gif-God-Of-War-games-memes-5158685.gif

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
damn, that's a pristine number that few ips touch it in a single game.

props to SSM, they deserve every single unit sold and i hope Ragnarok gets there too.

Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was 20MM as of early 2021 or something. Not sure where I got that number from but that's the number that was on my mind for the longest time.

Great number regardless. Changing the GoW formula was the best thing they did for the franchise even if we did lose the leader in the hack and slash genre. Sales were dipping until the big change in direction.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely won't, Sony has already shown that they don't care a out bringing the PC enhancements to PS5. Only exception is Death Stranding which got a Director's Cut.

Yeah. DC seemed to be an exception. Sony got their monies from them so they don't care to enhance their games further on console other than the bare minimum.

Just hope we don't get into a future of bad native PS5 games coming from Sony where all the issues are fixed on PC.

Didn't Horizon eventually get a patch on PS5 with the PC improvements?

It got the 60 FPS part and then other stuff downgraded.