• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
banner2f9qjn.png

Banner courtesy of Miniature Kaiju
godtitle3bkup9v.png

Spoiler thread | Photo thread | Review thread | Preview Hype thread

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA07408_00-00000000GODOFWAR

poem2mjq7v.png

Digital Edition | Limited Edition | Collector's Edition | Stone Mason Edition
Click for larger image

Last edited:
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
recapbannerr5qfd.png

hypezmrb1.png

hype108py7.png

kXtjN6J.gif
iEuJcfD.gif

hype2vyo3u.png

giphy.gif

ECxTNaD.gif

revsffumw.png

Review thread here

"God of War doesn't just feel like the next step for the franchise, but for the entire video game industry. Phenomenal visuals, rewarding exploration, and a deep, nuanced combat system contribute to an epic adventure that should be experienced by every human on earth. Santa Monica Studio is taking us all to Valhalla"

"I expected great action from God of War, and it delivers that handily. But I didn't expect it to be a thrilling journey in which every aspect of it complements the others to form what is nothing short of a masterpiece. It's a game in which Kratos, a previously one-note character, becomes a complex father, warrior, and monster, embattled both on the field and within his own heart about how to treat his son; one in which the world opens up and shifts, offering rewards in both gameplay and knowledge of its lore that I treasured with each accomplishment. The obvious care that went into crafting its world, characters, and gameplay delivers by far the most stirring and memorable game in the series."

"Realistically, however, I don't think it's possible to overstate just how good God of War is; how well realised its world, how nuanced and layered its characters and storytelling. The depth and craft of its combat, puzzles and almost every system it has sparkles and shines with an indulgence and luxury that regularly stopped me in my tracks to drink it all in. Whether breathless and bloody in the aftermath of an axe-hacked victory, or watching Kratos and his son Atreus share a genuinely human moment, this is a level of game making that doesn't happen often. The final question really isn't about where it sits in any game of the year discussions, but rather its place in eventual game of the generation talks."

"A decade ago, director Cory Barlog helped establish the God of War franchise as an iconic gory and debaucherous video game romp. While its antihero, Kratos, had pathos (he killed his wife and daughter in a fit of rage, his skin forever grayed by their ashes), it served little dramatic purpose, rather existing as a grimdark excuse for his god-slaying and orgy-having ways. Barlog — now older, a father — has returned to the series with a bundle of talented designers, many of whom served on the earlier games, to make good on that rich but neglected potential at its core. There's still plenty of gore, but the now the guts have meatiness.

Some die-hard fans may fear this isn't really God of War. I suppose they're right. It's even better."

Accolades banner courtesy of GreyFox
revs24fqzp.png

Last edited:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I initially didn't even want to like this game, but here we are. Console and collector's editions purchased. Hype rising. Hate rising. Kratos returning. All is well.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost here! Can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a game.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to know God of War's previous stories, or is it safe to jump in this as a newbie?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Reposting from the review thread:

I can't stress enough that there are crazy spoilers for stuff that happens way into the game, so I strongly suggest people go on a media blackout, as you won't want to have it ruined for yourself. As I said pages ago, this is a game full of twists that doesn't rely on twists - you'll want to experience it all for yourself fresh. Trust me.

I'm actually pretty shocked I haven't seen any of it leak already.

I think it's just out of respect for the game. It if were even 5% worse someone would have sent out an errant Tweet or YT upload by now.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I know we have the OT now and there're people with early copies. I beg you, if you see any open spoilers please don't hesitate to report the poster. Let's have a great journey together without anybody having to go through unnecessary rubbish.

WarrenD

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My shopto order changed to processing yesterday. Fingers crossed for a Thursday delivery although they've not been good at early delivery for a while now.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Reposting from the review thread:

I can't stress enough that there are crazy spoilers for stuff that happens way into the game, so I strongly suggest people go on a media blackout, as you won't want to have it ruined for yourself. As I said pages ago, this is a game full of twists that doesn't rely on twists - you'll want to experience it all for yourself fresh. Trust me.

I'm actually pretty shocked I haven't seen any of it leak already.

I think it's just out of respect for the game. It if were even 5% worse someone would have sent out an errant Tweet or YT upload by now.
This gets me so excited to hear this.

Status
Not open for further replies.