• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know where I can find the miniboss enemy

Ancient? The golem guys. I only need one to make the armor. I did the one in Alfheim, and one during Fafnir. I also did Soul Eater.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since no one answered yesterday can I ask again - are there spiders in the game? My wife wants to play while I am away and has a phobia.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So here's my question, how does this game run? This feel like a ps5 title that was given to us through magic.

Since no one answered yesterday can I ask again - are there spiders in the game? My wife wants to play while I am away and has a phobia.
So far I haven't seen any, honestly I don't think there will be it doesn't seem like that kind of fantasy world.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Any idea how far through the game I am?
Just taken the head of the tree to the Witch and talked to the World Serpent

Really enjoying it so far. I heard even Normal was pretty punishing so I'm surprised how I've mostly breezed through it so far (not complaining, Hard difficulty ain't for me!)

You got a lot left my friend. Under halfway through id say.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for any GOW players. Does anybody that's a fan of the original series feel the game is too far a departure from the style and story of the originals, or does everybody feel the series aged up and matured pretty nicely?
I honestly think it's too far initially but you have to consider Kratos at the end of GoW3 and not the majority of the trilogy. By the end of 3 he basically said that his vengeance has ended and he did have the hope from Pandora's box. He killed himself in order to 'naturally' fix what he has destroyed rather than have Athena do it, or he could rule it too if he wants. He's tired of being played by the gods and you can see it on this game.

Nov 4, 2017
This has more fantasy stuff than FFXV. Really shows how much SQEX needs to demonstrate with their next game. And this is all action combat.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You went with the hardest difficulty then went to cheese it, jfc. If you can't play the difficulty properly and ending up not having fun then lower it, this is like one of those "putting a stick on bike's wheel meme".

Also that cheese you're doing won't work in later parts of the game so you might as well get close and personal XD

Ah, the "it's supposed to be shitty" defence.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question for any GOW players. Does anybody that's a fan of the original series feel the game is too far a departure from the style and story of the originals, or does everybody feel the series aged up and matured pretty nicely?

I don't know that I'd say it matured. It's just different. I don't want to play the same game over and over so it's nice that they switched things up here. Could they or would they go back to the original formula? Unlikely, but if given enough time I wouldn't mind it. I'm really liking this new direction though. It feels great.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I am supposed to meet the dwarf at a mine entrance for a sidequest (the second section of that quest) on the map it is at the bottom left to the left of witches hut but I cannot figure out a way to get there. I literally spent two hours running around like crazy. Any help? :(

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
use the explosive sap on the ice walls

Also, can anyone give me a list of the total 9 realms Kratos can go to? No spoilers beyond that. I just wanna know which get visited in this game and which don't.
you can visit 6 of them, Midgard, Alfeheim, Jotunheim, Musleheim, Niflheim and Helheim, I probably butchered some of the names

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys reading everything in the game? I'm reading everything.. oh man is so good and interesting for me.... norse mythology is just... supreme.

I feel like it's an offense to rush through this game!

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's actually very impressive how it looks nothing like the old games. But as you play you realize that that God of War DNA is still all over the place just presented differently.

It's an amazing evolution of the series. I can't imagine many are unhappy with it.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Lowered the water and have been exploring. This game is incredible.

Difficulty is perfect for me on "give me a challenge". You can't afford to be sloppy and it's a great feeling when you bruise your way through an encounter.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the "it's supposed to be shitty" defence.
Please elaborate, i'm playing it on Give me GOW, so I don't really get why you cheese? You just have to parry better and actually plan which to take out first. Eliminate range first, get the parry projectile skill, use Atreus as part of your combo or as a distraction, learn to cancel and don't over reach, prioritize stun whenever possible and basically get good. Which part of the game are you having a hard time, mind you it's challenging but it's manageable and actually gets A LOT easier later on.

Nyarlah

Apr 20, 2018
Can I upgrade a pommel with a rare material now, or should I keep it for a later pommel ? More generally, is it possible to upgrade every piece of gear or do I have to make choices ?

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Please elaborate, i'm playing it on Give me GOW, so I don't really get why you cheese? You just have to parry better and actually plan which to take out first. Eliminate range first, get the parry projectile skill, use Atreus as part of your combo or as a distraction, learn to cancel and don't over reach, prioritize stun whenever possible and basically get good. Which part of the game are you having a hard time, mind you it's challenging but it's manageable and actually gets A LOT easier later on.

Ive been watching some streams of give me god of war. its brutal at first but once you start getting good runic attacks and you get better at the game is becomes wayyy easier.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I like how the dwarves
have an innate racial(?) ability to magically sneak in and out of realms/dimensions.
It's used to great humor in this game as they just pop out from behind random rocks everywhere but it also perfectly fits the parralel-universes thing that they went with.
But also the jolly & magical nature of dwarfes in the myths & Scandinavian folklore.
It's a very inspired take on how realms are set up in Norse mythology.

Also, Mimir's explanation in an epic side-quest
how one dwarf became a dragon, "life is just strange that way".
Haha.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

There is no reason not to fight at ranged 99% of the time. Monsters have a billion health and spamming ranged heavies seems to do the best, most consistent DPS. Interrupting level 5 guys seems inconsistent with anything other than thrown attacks.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I keep forgetting that I've actually upgraded my skills. I'm a fair chunk through the game and have mostly just been throwing my axe, spamming square for Atreus, recalling axe, rinse and repeat :x

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think it'll depend on what you liked, but they handled it amazingly imo, it's extremely different, but not embarrassed by the old games and the game is much better thanks to that, like Kratos, he isn't much different, still a selfish asshole, but he has sooo much more depth to him now and has went from just a terrible character to 1 of gaming best for me.

The combat is better than ever, a lot more depth than the old games ever had, but again has those encounters were you are just getting swarmed and have to manage a bunch of thing at once and choose what should be a priority, which has always been what GoW combat was for me, though I can see it just not sitting well with some, as ultimately it's very different style of combat and does take awhile to get the hang of it.

The spectacle isn't quite at the same level though, but it's got it's moments, which I won't go into.

Last edited:

SpartacusMD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that on the hard difficulty you can basically just cheese the game. Maybe it's more fun on the medium one.

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
Finally the game story is picking up Had a great time in the quest for the
chisel. The whole dead giant and making that thor hammer fall feels a lot like old god of war games with titans

I just beat
modi and magna.
How far am I in the game? Now I feel like the story has consequence and moving on

I also came across a
valkyrie How hard are they to kill

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason not to fight at ranged 99% of the time. Monsters have a billion health and spamming ranged heavies seems to do the best, most consistent DPS. Interrupting level 5 guys seems inconsistent with anything other than thrown attacks.
There is, because your range attack will just be regen or not work at on other enemy variety which I guess you haven't met yet. Learn to use your stun and parry, it's the fastest way to kill any enemy. Just get good and use all your arsenal, better to learn it now than later since you will need it. It will get a lot easier especially if you unlock everything on runic to special items that procs elemental and atreus will become OP.

Ive been watching some streams of give me god of war. its brutal at first but once you start getting good runic attacks and you get better at the game is becomes wayyy easier.

Definitely, Atreus is basically OP if you unlock elements and summons

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I had similar thoughts yesterday. In a way, God of War reminds me of an old school JRPG. Places like the Witch's house area have a very striking look for a location we'll spend as little time in as we do. It really helps to make this feel like an epic adventure, and it's something we'd see in SNES RPGs all the time, but have since then almost abandoned the genre entirely due to how much more expensive and time consuming it is to make this kind of thing these days. That same area in a pixel art 2D game would be much easier to make than creating all of these incredibly high quality assets and animations, so full of detail, just to use in a tiny part of the game.

So much love, time and of course money went into creating this world we're exploring, and they want us to enjoy every part of it. They made it full of incredibly well crafted locations for you to discover. The journey is itself a reward, due to how well the game controls and how good the combat is, but they don't use that as en excuse to not give you amazing things to find.

Couldn't agree more.

This game feels like an adventure. There's so much variety and craft put into the world.

I don't even care that I don't know what the overall arc or "big bad" is at this point. All I know is that I have to climb a mountain. But the journey itself is just so good, the combat is so satisfying, exploring is such a joy, and Kratos' relationship with Atreus is so well developed.

Can't wait to get home and play this again, and I haven't had that feeling in a while.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this game is so addictive. Every time new areas become accessible, I'm putting the story quest on the back burner and re-exploring as much of the world as I can.

It's so fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.