• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I feel like I should have done more sidequests by now. I've been in Alfheim a while now and I've only done one in the lake of the nine. Have I missed a lot?

On another note the combat has really started to click for me. Once you get into the flow it is absolutely fantastic.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
Does anyone know what that thing on the right is?
1t9hGXo
25vLgKV.jpg

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I love how Mimir speaks and then Kratos says "HEAD. If I seek your council, I will ask for it." Mimir just replies so casually, "Fair enough"

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Lots of combat, some light puzzles, big bosses. Lots of games don't bother with that stuff now.

It's never is feeling like filler at any point.

I had similar thoughts yesterday. In a way, God of War reminds me of an old school JRPG. Places like the Witch's house area have a very striking look for a location we'll spend as little time in as we do. It really helps to make this feel like an epic adventure, and it's something we'd see in SNES RPGs all the time, but have since then almost abandoned the genre entirely due to how much more expensive and time consuming it is to make this kind of thing these days. That same area in a pixel art 2D game would be much easier to make than creating all of these incredibly high quality assets and animations, so full of detail, just to use in a tiny part of the game.

So much love, time and of course money went into creating this world we're exploring, and they want us to enjoy every part of it. They made it full of incredibly well crafted locations for you to discover. The journey is itself a reward, due to how well the game controls and how good the combat is, but they don't use that as en excuse to not give you amazing things to find.

I was expecting this to be a much more "cinematic and story driven" game than it is, and I was totally ready for it, I don't even mean this in a negative way, but it just completely took me by surprise with how much of my time with the game and also my enjoyment come out of pure gameplay. If I have to sit down and tell you the story so far in my more than 27 hours with the game, I won't really have that much to tell without getting into the lore and side stories like the Dwarf King. If I were to tell you about the places I've found and things I've fought, however, you better take a seat.

Really well put.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
So we need to talk about the combat.
It is seriously perfection.

Definitely the best thing I've played since Bloodborne/Nioh and before that Bayo 2.
It's so insanely good

atl1

Apr 22, 2018
just got to thamur's corpse

Would appreciate if someone could tell me how far along I am :)

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely the best thing I've played since Bloodborne/Nioh and before that Bayo 2.
It's so insanely good
It actually is. Once you get powered up the game starts to imitate Japanese action games. You get into a flow that I haven't seen outside of Kamiya's best works. 10/10.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Sindiri is so fucking funny lol

I think I am halfway through the game now, doing every side quest and reading anything I can find. So good.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I should have done more sidequests by now. I've been in Alfheim a while now and I've only done one in the lake of the nine. Have I missed a lot?

On another note the combat has really started to click for me. Once you get into the flow it is absolutely fantastic.
I think I got 3 before Alfheim. The one with torches/ghost and 2 from hidden areas

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE that the axe drops over long distances. There's an arc to it. It's like...a skill to hit far objects under stress.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's it!
Wonderful game. I rarely platinum games (only my second ever! first was Hellblade, coincidence) but this was so much fun.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
R2 into square for suspending enemies in mid air is straight from the Japanese action games, and it's fucking glorious.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's so insanely good
How deep are you in the game because in later stages it can get crazy not only with your skill but with your runics, atreus elements, summons, changing stance, and procs. It's so good

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It actually is. Once you get powered up the game starts to imitate Japanese action games. You get into a flow that I haven't seen outside of Kamiya's best works. 10/10.

i think the combat is in the run for the best combat system ever in games. in 30 years of gaming i haven`t played something that feels so good and frankly, i played them all, the Gaiden`s and Souls, the Bayo´s and DMC´s. the impact and feel is unmatched and the depth is insane. i am in love with the combat here

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Sooooo, literally just finished the story...

.......that's it? They spread the ashes and go on their "merry" way? What about the painting with Kratos dying? What about Odin? Does the side-content have any real effect on the story? Or is it just mostly world building stuff that doesn't really change anything?

I dunno. I was expecting more I guess... besides that, it was one heck of ride! Norse mythology works really well!

Also:

Does anyone know what other mythology the other symbol in Tyr's missing board/painting represent? There was the Greek symbol, the Egyptian symbol, a Nordic one (or so I assume at least), and a 4th one. Anyone have any guesses?

Also it's damn cool that all these mythologies/realms are connected in a greater space and aware of each other!

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017

.......that's it? They spread the ashes and go on their "merry" way? What about the painting with Kratos dying? What about Odin? Does the side-content have any real effect on the story? Or is it just mostly world building stuff that doesn't really change anything?

I dunno. I was expecting more I guess... besides that, it was one heck of ride! Norse mythology works really well!

Also:

Does anyone know what other mythology the other symbol in Tyr's missing board/painting represent? There was the Greek symbol, the Egyptian symbol, a Nordic one (or so I assume at least), and a 4th one. Anyone have any guesses?

Also it's damn cool that all these mythologies/realms are connected in a greater space and aware of each other!
GO BACK TO THE HOUSE NOW!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Also:

the symbol is a japanese buddhism dharma wheel

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Advocate violence.
Whoever decided that wave after wave of enemies with no checkpoints (the
lake of light part
was a good idea should be shot.

How a massive failure of game design like that made its way in to a shipping product is beyond me.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The crystal lizards make sounds right? I hear one, just can't find it lol.

And jesus, the fight by the chisel, fucking amazing.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Also:

You should
go home

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So can anyone tell me about how far I am?

Just got to the mountain peak after fighting that huge dragon and talked to the guy stuck in the tree before taking his head.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo...Holy shit...

The kid turning out to be Loki is a massive plot twist. I can already predict that in the inevitably sequel Kratos will have to battle his son thus leading to the prophecy on the wall.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game feel claustrophobic to anybody else?

For a game that's showing me some of the most beautiful settings I've seen to date, I hardly feel like I'm in actually in control of where I'm going within them. Everywhere has a very specific path that needs to be followed from start to finish, with only slight/brief branching for treasures. On top of all this the field of view feels small quite often, and Kratos (bless his muscly self) takes up a large portion of the view.

The lakes I've been to are maybe the only exception, but I'm not particularly fond of riding around in the boat for very long.

This isn't a troll post, I'm having a load of fun. I just want to know if anybody else feels this way when playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.