• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I am a little bit of a hoarder when it comes to using resources in most games and worry thats going to kill God of War for me. I read somewhere that as the game goes on and better equipment becomes available... the resource you use to buy that equipment changes? So it sounds like I cant accidentally lock myself out of end game stuff by overspending in the early game?

I also see you can use XP to upgrade abilities, should I be doing so or am I likely going to burn out of XP if I dont focus on a select few and getting all the skills I want before doing this?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I am a little bit of a hoarder when it comes to using resources in most games and worry thats going to kill God of War for me. I read somewhere that as the game goes on and better equipment becomes available... the resource you use to buy that equipment changes? So it sounds like I cant accidentally lock myself out of end game stuff by overspending in the early game?

I also see you can use XP to upgrade abilities, should I be doing so or am I likely going to burn out of XP if I dont focus on a select few and getting all the skills I want before doing this?

You end up massively swimming in XP and things anyway. Don't be shy about spending XP.

Armour wise isn't "that" important until post-game content anyway. There's no spoilers really but I'll tag it anyway:

I used free found armour through 80% of the game and barely upgraded it because like you I hoarded and worried, then when the Dwarf armour became available I bought that and upgraded it, and then post-game I had the Niff armour and upgraded it.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
You end up massively swimming in XP and things anyway. Don't be shy about spending XP.

Armour wise isn't "that" important until post-game content anyway. There's no spoilers really but I'll tag it anyway:

I used free found armour through 80% of the game and barely upgraded it because like you I hoarded and worried, then when the Dwarf armour became available I bought that and upgraded it, and then post-game I had the Niff armour and upgraded it.

Hey thanks! Thats really good to know! I wont bother buying armour till I get closer to seeing the endgame but bet upgrading some of the other bits will be good!

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Hey thanks! Thats really good to know! I wont bother buying armour till I get closer to seeing the endgame but bet upgrading some of the other bits will be good!

Just keep in mind your level is in relation to your armour and not your XP.

But in general you come across pick-ups that consistently increase your level. See how you get on, and also be aware that some areas are actually levelled so if you come across some powerful enemies don't assume you need to beat them now or are underleveled - you can just come back later.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game including beating the last
Valkerie, Sigrun
, and what an experience, thanks Jam for the hints there and yeah cant believe what an experience that was! Deffo looking forward to part 2!

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game including beating the last
Valkerie, Sigrun
, and what an experience, thanks Jam for the hints there and yeah cant believe what an experience that was! Deffo looking forward to part 2!

Glad you enjoyed it! Now join the rest of us waiting.

I'm glad I played it this summer and haven't been waiting since 2018. Also did you remember to go back to your house after the game?😏

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it! Now join the rest of us waiting.

I'm glad I played it this summer and haven't been waiting since 2018. Also did you remember to go back to your house after the game?😏

Yep! Enjoyed that.. and was also surprised by how well defined the sequel already is. I mean we know that

They are just jumping straight ahead to Ragnarok which is awesome! The Thor 'reveal' has me all excited too!

But despite how awesome that is... im thrown they have revealed those cards already!

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised, I know their original plan was Egypt and I would love to see them tackle that sphere! (Although Norse mythology is thousands of years ahead of Egyptian so it will be interesting how they would tackle that time shift).

I just hope he managed to get all these games out before im too old to enjoy them haha!

Just went and got the Platinum! I don't normally bother but this was one of the few that seemed worth it I was pleasantly surprised how much less grindy Niflheim was than I anticipated, even on normal I managed to do complete circuits with just the base armour. For once too I picked up 90% of the collectables while playing so it was a pretty pleasant clean up! The game is absolutely fantastic and despite being maybe just a little too long and despite me landing the platinum it leaves me wanting more!

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I finally went through and took care of all the Valkries after beating the story a couple years ago!

Sigrun took me a solid 2 hours of playtime at level 6. I guess I needed to go off and grind before tackling her but half an hour in I was just like fuck it, let's memorize these patterns and finish it right here, right now. And I have literally no idea what I'm doing with all the armor/weapon/upgrades/enchantments so yeah...it was rewarding finally getting through that.

I just have 9 more trophies left mostly collectibles and Muspelheim, so I think I'll go for the Platinum.

Nov 7, 2017
Started gmgow ng+ with 2 pieves of zeus armor, god that set wrecks everything if you dont get hit. Need to practice my runic cancels more too

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i finished the game today and had a couple of thoughts to share if there is anyone still hanging around this thread.

i liked the game a lot. it took me a little time to get used to the combat after the previous entries in the series, but by the time i hit the lake of nine or so everything fell into place. it is a much larger game than previous entries, mostly for the better, but im not spending my time chasing down 50 ravens or whatever. its fun watching the relationship between kratos and atreus develop, and atreus get so much stronger over the course of the game. he goes from being a distraction to a real weapon.

i assume people have commented on this, but what is up with the boss fights? it was a series known for huge scale and cinematic set piece bosses but that is not whats going on here. with the possible exception of the lightning dragon nothing is really grand. baldur is a fun enough fight but hes not a big serpent or anything. instead its like 80% trolls and ancients over and over.

overall great game, and it brought me back to a series i thought i was done with. like the direction and (this sounds corny) it feels like i grew up a bit with kratos since i could bear the comic book violence of the previous games when i was younger, but now im a father and it appeals less.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is that it's Atreus' story--just facilitated through Kratos--and as such is smaller in scope for now. Unlike in the previous series, Kratos' objective here isn't to kill gods or anything but rather to just take his son to a specific place to do a specific thing, and shit just happens to get in their way.

Plus, honestly, even in the old series, I thought the best fights were with human-size opponents, like Zeus, anyway.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
I think the idea is that it's Atreus' story--just facilitated through Kratos--and as such is smaller in scope for now. Unlike in the previous series, Kratos' objective here isn't to kill gods or anything but rather to just take his son to a specific place to do a specific thing, and shit just happens to get in their way.

Plus, honestly, even in the old series, I thought the best fights were with human-size opponents, like Zeus, anyway.

yeah i don't disagree with any of that. i liked the structure of the story, though i did think it was a little melodramatic that they said it was atreus's story. seems more accurate to say it was both of their story. they travel together, learn from each other, and share the experience. its almost a story about passing the torch, though i guess we will see what they do with the sequel. and i felt the same way about the boss fights in souls series: human scale enemies are often the best, with artorias perhaps best of all. just felt repetitive to fight 5 troll variations and 5 ancient variations or whatever it was. a bit more of a mix - different types, different scale battles - would have been welcome.

derwalde

Oct 28, 2017
Replaying this right now and after coming from assassin's creed Valhalla (which was a good game imho) - damn this is a masterpiece. It's really my game of the generation, even in front of bloodborne.
The amount of polish, the visual and sound design, one of the best fighting systems imo, the brilliant level design, the clever puzzles... The list goes on and on. Cannot wait for playing this on ps5.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I think I read somewhere that Cory Barlog was aware that the boss fights were one of the elements that people were disappointed by and was planning to adress it.

Nov 7, 2017
Just finished the game on give me god of war with the zeus armor. Was too easy, with generous checkpoints for the gimmicky boss fights. Gonna go thru again with the awesome brok armor.

the sons of thor is the only fun boss fight in the game on gmgow. The last baldur fight is garbage.

Got the awesome spartan shield though.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat this game and want to replay it with new game+ on the PS5, yet it's not showing up on the PS5 after downloading my PS4 save from the cloud. Not sure how to get NG+

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Started this week. It's been pretty entertaining. Biggest point of contention though is how every chest has some kind of gimmick or puzzle to get to it. Some are of course just go around and get it, others are the runes, others more complicated. But its freaking exhausting to see a chest and know there is some task to do to get it. It's overplayed its welcome. Similarly is the side quests. Kinda feels like the game overdoes it before the actual story gets interesting. Its neat there is so much to do overall though. Feel like I'm getting to the end so I'm gonna put the side content down and just do the story.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to return to this in anticipation of Ragnarök, to actually finish the story. I remember getting pretty sick of the game maybe halfway through back when it came out so I was initially planning on just watching a Youtube summary or something, but I've been in the mood for action games so I thought, hey, I guess I could start a new playthrough.

Since this is a story-focused playthrough I figured I'd, well, stick to the story and straight up ignore the vast majority of the optional content (I've done some of the actual quests, particularly for Brok and Sindri cause I love those dudes) and I have to say, I'm having a considerably better time with the game like this. Like, if I'm being completely honest, I think a huge amount of the optional content in this game is just fucking dull and uninteresting. Repetitive fights, boring puzzles, meager rewards. No wonder I totally burnt out on the game back in 2018, when I tried to explore as much as possible and do everything there was to do. Surprisingly, it doesn't even feel like I'm making things particularly harder for myself, I'm still getting a bunch of EXP and money and loot, just focusing on the main story. It really doesn't feel like I'm missing out on anything worthwhile.

Now I'm actually genuinely excited for Ragnarök. I think the chatter about the game being even bigger and more expansive is a bit concerning for obvious reasons, but I'm also cautiously optimistic since it's supposed to have much more actual NPCs and such, which I hope means it'll have a lot more actual side quests too. Kratos' interactions with the NPCs have been some of my favorite parts of this one, so I'm looking forward to a lot more of that. Lot of great dry humor in there.