• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best Ivaldi armor to get? What do you guys suggest for good items to socket?

Any tips on Valkyrie fights?
I got the Deadly Mist (third) set, but I fought most of the Valkyries without whatever mix and match armor I had before (I think Traveler armor, Ancient wrist, and Brimstone waist, plus the talisman that gives you Bayonetta witch time for perfect dodging). They really aren't that hard.

For slots, it's really up to you. I use almost everything with a name on it. If you can get it, Glowing Gem of the Nine is amazing (witch time on hit!). Then I just use stuff with procs I like--usually stuff that happens when I parry because 3S is still the best.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I got the Deadly Mist (third) set, but I fought most of the Valkyries without whatever mix and match armor I had before (I think Traveler armor, Ancient wrist, and Brimstone waist, plus the talisman that gives you Bayonetta witch time for perfect dodging). They really aren't that hard.

For slots, it's really up to you. I use almost everything with a name on it. If you can get it, Glowing Gem of the Nine is amazing (witch time on hit!). Then I just use stuff with procs I like--usually stuff that happens when I parry because 3S is still the best.
It sure as fuck is.

Oct 25, 2017
You need to reach a certain point in the mainline, and you get a thing that lets you unlock some things you may have already noticed, and behind those things are most of the Valkyries.
I stumbled on the court of the Valkyries area with the chair weeks ago, but there was nothing there. I have recently gotten out of Helheim with the boss and finished all of Brok and Sindri's quests.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Got stuck in a narrow hallway with enemies one level higher than me and a bunch of Nightmares. WTF?! Maybe I missed an axe upgrade stone because this is awful -_-

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely adore this game (goty thus far) but I can't with these motherufckn Valkaryries. Beat 3 and I think that's it for me.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore this game (goty thus far) but I can't with these motherufckn Valkaryries. Beat 3 and I think that's it for me.
The hardest one for me was actually the one that keeps summoning adds while throwing projectiles at you. She's supposed to be one of the weakest ones, but I had more trouble with her than I did even with the final one.

If one in particular is troublesome, maybe try the others and come back when you're more geared up. The Niflheim stuff should make you overpowered for most of them.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Saw credits today after what has been an amazing game! Probably the coolest part of the game was that the story revolves around the mythology I grew up with. Incredible art design as well.
I have only killed one Valkyrie so far, but I am unsure if I want to go back to the game and clear all the extra stuff for the plat. Honestly feel pretty done with the game for now.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, these fan concepts for an adult Atreus are incredible. These are by Rodrigo Idalino, a senior 2D artist at Samsung.

rodrigo-idalino-atreus-conceptfinal.jpg

rodrigo-idalino-atreus-board-finals4.jpg

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Started NG+ today on the hardest difficulty.
Boy I'm rusty. Took me a while to get my groove back, but I'm doing much better now.

Unsure about arnor though. On the hand the valkrie set looks awesome, but I think the stats favor my upgraded Ivaldi set...

I'm also using the infinity gauntlet, but maybe I'll switch to something with realm shift for that awesome effect

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really wished with NG+ that you could upgrade the starter armor to lvl 9, I always go back to that armor despite having a better one. I like look and it shows off more of Kratos.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Boight the game on release day, special edition and all... today I finally saw the credits. Wish I have had the time to play it too the end at release but having small children, work and stuff really makes spar time sparse. So when I went on paternal leave some days ago I picked it up again.

What a ride. Loved the story twist at the end.

The game has some flaws but overall one of the best games this generation. At least I'll try to do some end game stuff when I get some time, but I also have to finish Hollow Knight.

Time, too few hours per day.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I just noticed something on a fresh playthrough today, when you first meet Sindri and he gives you the first Mark of Dwarves, it says in the resources tab that it will give you 4 RUNIC but when I check the stats it only increases by 3. Don't know why it bothers but it does.

Wonder if I should tweet Cory and ask if they'll do a hotfix.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the platinum trophy. It took me a while mainly due to the collectible trophies and that I got busy with other games, but I'm glad I did it! The ravens (which was the trophy I was worrying about the most) weren't too difficult when following a guide.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat and platinumed the game last night. That was a good, low key twist, and now I'm super curious where the sequel will go.

It seems like there are so many potential avenues, but I wonder if they will reuse Midgard for the central hub.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finally beat and platinumed the game last night. That was a good, low key twist, and now I'm super curious where the sequel will go.

It seems like there are so many potential avenues, but I wonder if they will reuse Midgard for the central hub.

Most definitely, there's still realms you can't go to in that travel room. They spent time designing that place, no way they will not include it in the sequel.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most definitely, there's still realms you can't go to in that travel room. They spent time designing that place, no way they will not include it in the sequel.
Yes, but the thing is you already did all the shit in Midgard proper. So unless they change up the map a lot (and I suppose Ragnarok could make that happen), it'll be weird.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I actually finished this game a few weeks ago. It's pretty good I guess, but I think I'm done with it.

Overall it's just a pretty good hub-based action adventure game in a time when not many people make those anymore, especially at this AAA production value level. The level design and controls definitely recall Dark Souls 1 and Resident Evil 4, but really playing GOW just makes me think about reinstalling those games. Lowering the water level in the central hub was a smart, if simple way to repeatedly reveal new parts of the environment, and also put some distance between places without having to actually design a whole lot of terrain.

I like that GOW chose to balance its controls more towards input priority rather than animation priority, it being a cinematic AAA game, giving it probably much better game-feel than Uncharted or Red Dead 2. The combat system itself is fine enough. I just did not at all care for all the RPG crap they put in the game. The level gating in particular is pretty bad -- fighting an enemy even three levels above you is pretty much a non-starter, I may have pulled it off once. Someone did beat story mode with a level-1 Kratos but it really wants you to grind all that crap. And as I said earlier, it's handled with the exact same UI as Spider-Man and basically every Ubisoft game now. I'm just tired of it. Niflheim is alright once you realize it's a roguelike and they want you to probe the labyrinth until you get enough mist to craft the mist gear.

There are a few standout parts where the graphics look ridiculous (base PS4). I guess the character development with Kratos and his kid was above-average for video games.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
First time ever fighting Sigrun, at 4 a.m. After months not touching the game at hard difficulty. Effin brutal lol.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got platinum. I enjoyed the game. Felt a little sparse tho with reuse of enemies. I tried starting the game on hard mode and got a little ways but bumped it down to normal after getting obliterated everywhere. Then the jump down to normal was too easy for me. Wish they balanced that better.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got platinum. I enjoyed the game. Felt a little sparse tho with reuse of enemies. I tried starting the game on hard mode and got a little ways but bumped it down to normal after getting obliterated everywhere. Then the jump down to normal was too easy for me. Wish they balanced that better.
you should have increased the difficulty to hard mid way through the game when it got easy. thats what i did and had a much better time.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I just did the shit with the mist to unlock all the chests and the tears. Who thought that was a fun idea? At least the Valkyrie there was easy but the farming shit zzzz. Gonna do the fire challenge stuff next and then beat the game. Last story thing I did was
escape hell
I think. Did all favors so after the last challenges I should just have main game only left I hope. The side stuff in this game is pretty lame. Shame about the lack of enemy variety and bosses too. Had higher hopes for this :(

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all, I just finished (late game-ish?)

the trial and flipped the gate room and stuff and finally received the key to Jotunheim.

Is this the point of no return?

Also, is it worth doing the side quests? Aside from the quests from the two dwarves, I only found one more about finding some persons body parts. Also, I just noticed that I can travel to Muspelheim as well. Is that part of the story or is it all just side content?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hey y'all, I just finished (late game-ish?)

the trial and flipped the gate room and stuff and finally received the key to Jotunheim.

Is this the point of no return?

Also, is it worth doing the side quests? Aside from the quests from the two dwarves, I only found one more about finding some persons body parts. Also, I just noticed that I can travel to Muspelheim as well. Is that part of the story or is it all just side content?
You can return to the world map after the credits so don't worry too much about a point of no return.

Muspelheim is entirely optional content.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Playing this right now. Had it on day one but went to backlog due to reasons and then release of other new games.

I suck at Nornir chests which requires hitting bells within short time. Timing window is so fucking tight, I end up spending 10 mins without any success. Totally pace killer for me. Fuck them! Is there any trick to this other than get good in quick aimed shot.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
When do I unlock fast travel? The last main quest mission I did was
Killing Magni and obtaining the chisel.
I've already explored all the Lake of Nine had to offer, and see all the blue fast travel doors around the map, but it's annoying not being able to actually use any of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Just got this today (Merry Christmas!) and I have to say, only a couple hours in, this is really incredible. I wasn't expecting the fight against a frost ogre or whatever the hell it was, and then the fight against the Stranger had me saying "holy SHEEEIIIIIIIT" on loop like a broken record. I just got to the first dwarf upgrading my axe, so obviously I have a ton to go, but it's becoming clear to me why this is cleaning up in the GOTY awards; this game is something else. I'm still confused by a number of systems, and the combat is not as immediately intuitive to me as Spider-Man's, so often I try to dodge and just do nothing while enemies whoop my ass. But it's gorgeous, it feels really solid, and Kratos is so much more appealing than the mindless rageball of the earlier series. The scenes where the rage is just bubbling underneath and you watch him take a moment to calm himself... that shit is real right there.

BOY!

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I finished the main story a week ago but this game still has it's hooks in me deep.
I admit I was one of the "haters" which didn't bear the change but the combat is the best I've played this gen, hands down. I will never doubt Jason McDonald ever again. Also, props to Bear McReary for the awesome OST.
If I were to compare this game to the first one, this is miles better and I can't contain my hype for the sequel, considering the leap from GoW 1 to 2.

The post game content is amazingly great! It always makes my inner self say "ok, just one more valkyrie" or "ok, let me free all the dragons and it's a wrap" but every little island is like it's own little level with cool goodies to find. The valkyries are a great incentive to keep going, and they were smart to introduce them at the end. Haven't dabbled much in Muspelheim/Niflheim due to their grindy nature but I will do so shortly as I want those Ivaldi armor parts and I kind of need to lvl up, I've been stuck at lvl.5 for a long time.
I still have one more dragon to free ( I guess), 5 more valkyries to go and haven't even fully explored Helheim and Aflheim (I need that slow-time amulet from there), not to mention I still need final lvls on both the axe and chains so I gotta grind a bit.

Damn, what an amazing game.

BOI