• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Just need 2 more artifacts and to beat the
Valkyrie Queen
for the Platinum. I've steamrolled the Valkyries since going after them in the end game, but I'm still really worried. Is it better to fight them at Level 8 or 9? I've heard they get a buff to match your level.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Just
flipped the damn temple
what a hoot that was. I feel as if I'm approaching the endgame so I'm considering going around and clearing out the sidequests before I go there. I've killed three Valkyries and need to go back and kill the one in the fire realm, is there more fire realm stuff to do after that?

Also, Niflheim people have told me is a weird case like the fire realm where it's more for loot than story. Is it still worth doing? I don't really care about trophies or anything, I just want to hit everything cool in the game. So I still have to go back to that Valkyrie court thing (I thought I wouldn't go back until I killed all of them but I guess you get the sidequest after the first one?) and then do the (I think last?) Dwarf quest

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Also, Niflheim people have told me is a weird case like the fire realm where it's more for loot than story. Is it still worth doing? I don't really care about trophies or anything, I just want to hit everything cool in the game. So I still have to go back to that Valkyrie court thing (I thought I wouldn't go back until I killed all of them but I guess you get the sidequest after the first one?) and then do the (I think last?) Dwarf quest
It is more for loot, but you should visit it at least once, it's a cool place. There's also a Dwarf favor/quest there. And I believe you should go back to the council after defeating all of them.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Valkyrie Queen
for the Platinum. I've steamrolled the Valkyries since going after them in the end game, but I'm still really worried. Is it better to fight them at Level 8 or 9? I've heard they get a buff to match your level.
I beat her at level 9 with a fully upgraded Ivaldi set and and she still put up a challenging fight at the second hardest difficulty, her hp bar was blue, which I think means I was above her level.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So for some reason I have been looking for stuff I am missing on my map as opposed to finishing the quest ..... How far do I have left?
A Path to Jutunheim
Also
Do I have to find every chest etc to get plat? I have most so far, but some I have no idea where they are....

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Holy shit I just...
got the Blades of Chaos after Atreus got sick.
I'm fucking giggling like a little kid right now! :D

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, after an hour or so of heart-racing attempts, I finally beat the VQ. Every attempt was super close, which kept me glued to the sofa. The funny thing is that after all the reading I did of how other people beat her, I ultimately switched back to the runes and play style that I used throughout the game. Leviathan's Wake, Blessings of the Frost, and being super aggressive.

I'm also just now realizing I forgot to lower the difficulty to Easy lol.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Valkyrie Queen
I beat her at level 8 but I don't think the level really matters. She's a lot harder than the others and you might have to learn some of her cues. Great challenge, but tough.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
Game finished 3 days ago on GiveMeGowMode. Very surprised by the shortness of the main quest, was expecting to encounter a lot more protagonists from the Nordic Deities. Good game, but GOW2 remains my best GOW in the serie.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
tenor.gif

So that NG+ huh...

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly three months later, last night I got my Platinum
by the time I got the last raven I was missing only two more entries on the map for the whole 100% so I went for them.
Great game, not having played the past games I didn't think I will love this one, I'd say this is my GOTY so far, but I don't think I had played any other games released this year haha

anyway I would love to do another playthrough just focusing on the story, but I'll wait for NG+ to drop

Is that one after all the others? Or is it something different
What do you mean? If you're asking about the Valkyrie Queen, yes that's the one I was referring to, and you fight her after beating the other eight.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else suffer from sever audio issues while playing? Game is becoming borderline unplayable for me, since every time a character speaks the game cuts the audio, it becomes desynced or characters start speaking over each other.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
by the time I got the last raven I was missing only two more entries on the map for the whole 100% so I went for them.
Great game, not having played the past games I didn't think I will love this one, I'd say this is my GOTY so far, but I don't think I had played any other games released this year haha

anyway I would love to do another playthrough just focusing on the story, but I'll wait for NG+ to drop

What do you mean? If you're asking about the Valkyrie Queen, yes that's the one I was referring to, and you fight her after beating the other eight.

Ah ok, thanks! Almost done them all, good to know

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017

3 months?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to 100% the map to get all the trophies? I am still working towards the main story but was curious. Some places I am missing a chest I actually got the Odins Ravens killed one, but my chart says I have 42/43 in Midgard.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to 100% the map to get all the trophies? I am still working towards the main story but was curious. Some places I am missing a chest I actually got the Odins Ravens killed one, but my chart says I have 42/43 in Midgard.

No, not required for the platinum trophy.

The Midgard ravens counter is bugged in the game like you've noticed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ok, Olrun is cheap as fuck. If I'm locking on the enemy, why the fuck can she do a dash that goes behind me and undoes my lock-on? Not only that, but she's got the lunge unblockable attack that I gotta be watching out for, but my lock-on is undone and I gotta turn the camera around, but while I do that shit she might be doing a bunch of things, also why does she have a quick unblockable grab attack? I'm already trying to guess whatever the fuck she's doing next because her animations don't give it away. The lock-on stuff beind undone by her dash is pretty cheap and that shit shouldn't be like that, I'm in locking onto her then keep the lock-on going, especially if she has such nasty attacks that I can't even block.

Wow no, she's fucking stupid. So the lunge punch can either be the unblockable punch or the wing attack, which is blockable, but the animation doesn't tell you shit until the very last second and you basically have to guess, there's no time to react to that shit and if I dodge but it turns out to be the wing attack, I'll get hit. Lol this attack is badly designed, the red flash should appear right before she's doing to do the lunge, not after she does the lunge and the attack is already coming out, the flash is supposed to warn you... what use is it if it comes out right with the attack? I need to know whether it is the unblockable one or not with reasonable time to react accordingly...

SHE CAN EVEN KNOCK ME BACK WHILE I'M IN RAGE MODE!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!?

Finally beat her, uploading the video soon because fucking hell this took a good while.

I'll just link the video because the thumbnail might spoil something, don't watch if you don't want to know about optional late game fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1nBdplQgRo

Last edited:

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah other than some specific moments, I've never found the lock on useful, like the throwing rock attack in rage mode. Speaking of rage mode, it is indeed useless against some of the Valkyries, you're better-off just using it to regain some health.

I just killed
Magni
. How far would you say I am into the game?
I'd say halfway through

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah other than some specific moments, I've never found the lock on useful, like the throwing rock attack in rage mode. Speaking of rage mode, it is indeed useless against some of the Valkyries, you're better-off just using it to regain some health.

I'd say halfway through

Wow. Felt like I was further. Good to know though, thank you!

I hate not having an in game clock. Knowing how much time I've put into a game and the average amount of time it takes to complete it is often a motivating factor in finishing a game. It's a weird thing about me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I feel like I'm getting close to the end. I just
killed Baldur and Freya seems pissed
and I think I'm just going to power through the rest of the story. I still have 5 Valkyries left and I guess I'll probably do the Niflheim realm tears (just since I've done all the other ones) but Niflheim in particular just felt grindy and unfun and I'm more interested in the story than the combat at the moment. So I'll save those for post-game.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Whew, took me about two months to finally finish my playthrough but I beat it last night.

This game fired on almost all cylinders for me, and is a near-perfect action game IMO. Much kudos to the team at Sony Santa Monica. This might be my favorite PlayStation exclusive ever, but they just seem to constantly get better and better. It's definitely my favorite God of War game, it's probably the action game that had the biggest impact on me personally since RE4 (and oddly shares a lot of similarities and generally achieves the relatively same level of production value!).

I lost a lot of memory about the tinier details of the story and lore, though, due to the very spread out nature of my play. I went a few times where I didn't find time to play the game for three weeks, and since the time I've had available to play has been relatively sparse, I didn't really spend any of my play time going through Atreus' journal to deep dive the lore, so some of the exact details of some of the story's larger beats seem a bit nebulous to me... But I still think I get the gist of things, and I still love the game a whole lot.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. its funny that some folks were trying to pretend this isnt one of the best looking games ever made because of some minor flaws here and there. God of War's cinematography is simply unmatched. only horizon comes close but God of War is a lot more consistent. Every area in the game, especially the indoor ones looked stunning. Impeccable lighting and fantastic looking character models and anmiations.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally finished the game.

What a great game all around. I loved the story, and the growth between him and his son. Also the flip of the witch story was great. I also liked going back to the house after and sleeping. I wonder if we will get to actually fight Thor at some point.

It just so happened that all I have left in the game that I did not do was the Valkyrie Queen. I am not looking forward to that :(

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Okay so I effectively finished the game.

I'm sort of conflicted on it! The visceral story beats still hit me, even like they did in the original series. There is something that will just always work for me about mythological gods fighting each other. The Kratos/Atreus development worked for me a lot more than I thought it would too. The game is obviously beautiful and the game is full of memorable moments like
The Baldur fights, the Blades of Chaos, the first Zeus hallucination, the first encounter with the world serpent, the ending......
and that's just story based stuff. I loved the little sidequests that you aren't even prompted to do like the dragons.

But....... the gameplay. I don't think the combat is straight up bad or anything, but the pace is just a tad too slow for me. Maybe I'm too used to character action games (or hell, the original series) but sometimes the constant encounters can just be a litttttle too much. I will say it wasn't really an issue until I did the two optional realms that are more meant to be grindy anyway. I also do find some of the story beats a little awkwardly paced (the last fight in particular) too.

So definitely not a GOTY contender or anything like that for me, but a worthwhile play and it way way way exceeded my expectations.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
So I finally picked this back after taking a pause after the first few hours (nothing against the game, just wanted to finish up a few others before diving in)

Man, I can't get over just how fucking amazing this is. Visually this might be the best looking game I've ever seen. The art direction is beyond stunning.

And the exploration and overall gameplay is just peak af. I literally just discovered an entire area which was apparently totally optional and
Ran into a Dragon!! I literally had no idea there were Dragons in this game
Cleared that whole area out 100% before moving on.

I wish there was a time counter in the game though. I just finished the 4th main quest and I think ive put in 10-12 hours so far at least, if not 15.

Oct 25, 2017
Give me God of War makes boss fights so much more fun. I'm even seeing moves I never noticed on Give me a Challenge, because I killed everything without too much trouble.

It also helps that I no longer try to do everything I possibly can before moving on with the story on a second playthrough, so not only the difficulty level is higher, but I'm also underleveled compared to my first time around.

Super hyped for NG+, I hope I can have my Give me God of War save ready for that with 100% done.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope NG+ includes a Gold-tier Atreus armor that combines all the benefits of all three purple ones.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So .....
Just can not beat the Valk queen. She has way too much life. Maybe I am burned out, but even dropping it down to the lowest health I have no lick. Maybe I am just getting old....

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bit late to the party, but finally beat this incredible game. There's no doubt this is a very different God of War game from its predecessors, but at the same time, I was also happy to see the 'roots' of the franchise still very much intact. There's the larger than life moments that are a cornerstone of the series, like
Kratos casually flipping over a temple

But there's just something so 'visceral' about the combat that makes these games so satisfying. Almost as if you can feel that full raw force of Kratos's power through the controller. I also liked how well the game gradually introduces the nuances of the combat, starting with simple axe combat, then getting introduced to parries, light and heavy attacks, and of course the bow. I had some initial reservations about Atreus when I first started, as it's easy for friendly AI in games to be more burden than help (often times it feels like they're either not doing anything or just actively getting in your way). But he's integrated into the combat so well, honestly more as another 'ability' in your combat toolset, rather than an unpredictable AI. Just felt it was handled really smartly.

Hard to get too much into story without getting deep into spoilers, but I really liked how the characters were handled, and I felt I developed a respect for Kratos I never thought I would have based on the prior games. And while the game isn't overloaded with side quests, I was quite impressed with what was there. It was really cool to see a seemingly small side quest lead me into discovering and exploring a fairly substantial area of Midgard that wasn't part of the main story (and finding even more to do over there). I also really liked how they led to character moments.
The 'Anatomy of Hope' quest ends rather predictably (which is the point), but I nonetheless found myself really enjoying it, and hearing Kratos and Atreus reminisce about the mother while collecting Gullveig's bones was probably one of my favorite moments between the two.

Anyways, had a great time playing the game, and really glad to have experienced it. I look forward to seeing what's next from Sony Santa Monica and Cory Barlog.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime a God of War game comes out, I go back and watch this video from 8 years ago. Anyone remember this PB&J QTE video?

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Not sure if this has been discussed but it seems like the Ice Ancient bestiary entry is completely missable.

The Ice Ancient is located in the area near Thamur's Corpse that becomes inaccessible later on. It's also incredibly easy to miss since it doesn't aggro and it blends in with the surroundings.

If you miss it, you can still complete the labor by killing a 2nd Frost Ancient that appears near the docks by the corpse but you'll never get the Ice Ancient bestiary entry. Pretty annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so after endless tries I finally beat the
Queen
. This is what I did -

1. Axe only. Even though Gift of Apollo could heal, her damage was too great and her movement was too fast, I couldnt' switch weapon fast enough or I had difficulties tracking her, which leads to
2. I used axe to knock her down everytime she was in the air, this guaranteed 1) a knock down so I could keep doing damage and build runic and 2) the only way I could react to stop that blinding attack. I think you can turn your back against it but I am too slow
3. I timed the Wrath of the Wolf with my Rage, so this way I made sure I got some hit in and regenerate health
4. Her unblockable stinger can be avoided by walking and dodging right. Whereas you would get hit if you go left

I was Level 8, had Ivaldi's Deadly Mist Armor with the gauntlet, I wanted to use other armor like the Valkryie or Sindri's but my resources were already invested in Ivaldi's.

She would be a really fair, good fight, sans the BS blinding attack that covers the whole screen.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been discussed but it seems like the Ice Ancient bestiary entry is completely missable.

The Ice Ancient is located in the area near Thamur's Corpse that becomes inaccessible later on. It's also incredibly easy to miss since it doesn't aggro and it blends in with the surroundings.

If you miss it, you can still complete the labor by killing a 2nd Frost Ancient that appears near the docks by the corpse but you'll never get the Ice Ancient bestiary entry. Pretty annoying.
There's a missable material in that area too.