• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey guys, I think I'm gonna start this game this week. Never played any of the others, should I watch a Youtube recap or is there a recap-ish type thing in the game itself?

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
You can just read a short wiki about it I guess. I didn't know much of the original trilogy but the game does a good job showing and telling you Kratos's past.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the first Valkyrie. Level 4 axe!

Fuck that was tough lol, but so incredible satisying. Can't wait to take on the others

By the time I finish, maybe New Game+ will finally be out!

Oct 25, 2017
Been grinding at nihielim, ugh, I really don't want to use Ivaldi's armor but it's necessary to survive the mist.

Been grinding to upgrade Valkryie armor, the tailsman that weakens enemy, and maybe the axe pommel I think that gives you healing mist.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I cant.. I've been doing Sigrun for 2 hours now, I just cant, she's too fast and I cant learn her fucking patterns.

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
As I borrowed the game from a friend and I will have to return it soon-ish can anyone tell me how are things with the length of each chapter? I am wondering if the second half of the game has more short chapters for example.
I just finished chapter 5 by the way, and for example 3 was super short, 1 was ok, while 2,4 and 5 felt pretty long.

I just need an estimation of how far I am and how things will look during the next chapters so that I can schedule my time better.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I've defeated 4 Valkyrie so far. Gunnr, Kara, Geirdriful, and Eir. Currently level 6. These fights are so fun, especially once you figure out the attack pattern. Though Eir is the only one I completely figured out and didn't need to use a resurrection stone on when I finally defeated her.

Still have not gotten but one perfect Asgardian steel, though, and I don't remember if it even came from a Valkyrie.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
YES! Fuck you Sigrun, I got you finally.

It's done.

uptdPsy.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yo...Rota. Good lord, haha. Even though I defeated her the quickest thus far, that damn triple "Valhalla" attack was the most annoying shit ever. But yeah, she was actually relatively easy once I got my dodging and rolling timed right.

Oct 25, 2017
After much grinding for gears, I'm finally ready to take on the queen on Give me God of War. I'm lvl 9 now with the Valkryie set. We shall see how this goes. Last attempt with lvl 7 and Sindr armor got me one shotted leff and right.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Currently trying to beat the Valk Queen. Despite knowing her patterns i have a hard time to beat her. She deals to much damage in give me a challenge mode, but i surely won't lower the diff. settings.

I have this game since launch and it still has the top 3 combat of all time for me. Masterpiece.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After much grinding for gears, I'm finally ready to take on the queen on Give me God of War. I'm lvl 9 now with the Valkryie set. We shall see how this goes. Last attempt with lvl 7 and Sindr armor got me one shotted leff and right.
Currently trying to beat the Valk Queen. Despite knowing her patterns i have a hard time to beat her. She deals to much damage in give me a challenge mode, but i surely won't lower the diff. settings.

I have this game since launch and it still has the top 3 combat of all time for me. Masterpiece.
Use the Healing Mist Axe Pommel to trigger healing on axe hits. Use the Gift of Apollo runic attack to get more healing. Use the talisman that heals you. Use the squirrel to get health orbs (be sure to have blue arrows equipped) and it will be a much easier fight.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I went all in on runic attacks, upgraded the infinity gauntlet, and used rage to recover health, and still only just beat her on easy. Almost had me learning her patterns, but no, just about managed to bull my way through.

Oct 25, 2017
Did attempt day#1 on the queen today on Give me GOW. Learned her pattern. Still got killed like crazy. Experimented with different tailsman and runic attacks. Think I'm going to skip on gift of Apollo, I get to preoccupied with it to regain health and more often than not I end up dead. I'm also gonna swap the enchantment that prolongs the Gift to something that buffs my strength.

There is a BS that I didn't notice on other difficulties before, she would blind me first and sometimes use the inescapable AoE attack while I'm blind. That's fucking cheap. I know I know then don't get it by either the smoke or the AoE - 1) I'm too slow to avoid the smoke and 2) I feel like I'm equally screwed by being closer to her while blinded.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Met the witch who put a compass on my HUD. I turned that shit off immediately. Now in a big lake with lots of places to visit. Loving the game so far.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I managed to play the whole game without HUD and I'm glad I did. I didn't even miss it, I checked the map when deciding where to go next and that was it. Only towards the end I enabled bosses' health bars, mostly to better plan the fight with the Valkyries.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Now that I think about it, I really wish you could turn on proc info separate from the hud, because if you turn on the combat info then health and stuff appears which I don't want.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Beat the queen last night on my first attempt. Only playing on 'give me a balanced experience', though. Almost defeated her without even needing to use a Resurrection stone, but I got caught up in a runic attack. Fighting the other Valkyries beforehand really did help to prepare for Sigrun. I recognized most of her attacks because they were moves I've seen, and mostly already knew how to avoid.

I'm mad at myself for overwriting the save before I fought her as I want to go back and face her multiple times. Wish this game had a mode where I could just fight bosses. The combat is so good.

Edit: Just beat the game and got the plat. What an amazing experience. Tied with SotC as my favorite game ever. Now the long wait for the sequel begins. Thanks, corybarlog and any other SSM devs who might read this. You crafted something truly special.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the queen on Give me GOW! Just like the last time, the game feels so empty after beating her ;( no other enemy encounter that requires so much execution and understanding. I wonder what new game + will bring with Valkryies.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through the game.

I just reentered the witch's cave after coming back from the realm where I got the light arrows. So the water dropped when the World Serpent got out of the lake... except the cave is the same? I mean the part inbetween the dock and the cave's exit. The vertical distance between the water and the cave's ceiling is the same lol.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sigrun is serious business. She is so far the only enemy in the game that has forced me (through failure/death) to slow down and pick apart attack patterns instead of relying on brute force, which frankly has gotten me through the game pretty fine so far -- and I'm pretty sure I'm approaching the end game now. At lvl 6, I felt like I was underleveled for her so it took me an hour to defeat her. Makes me wish more enemies in the game required this much effort. I'm sure on a higher difficulty I'd need to be more careful but for my first playthrough I wanted to leave it on normal/balanced.

Oct 30, 2017
Muspelheim certainly is a challenge. I had to take a break after the 4th arena just because the Tetris effect was starting to play games with me. I saw where it's recommended to be at least level 6 or 7 before going into the last stages of the challenge and I'm only at a level 5. I did craft the Fallen Ash armor set, but it's gonna take some grinding to fully level up that baby. I love its look, though.

Regarding the main story, I actually set it aside the past few days as I've wanted to clean up some side quests. But can someone tell me a rough estimate of how much main game I have left:

I just finished taking the lift that sends you further up the mountain. It's the second time you go to this location and Atreus starts turning into a little shit. Just fought the troll behind the "Don't Wake Him" sign and I'm trying to find the right orb path to unlock the treasure that is in that room (if anyone wants to point me in the right direction of that, that'd be great too lol.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Finally beat the game today and man...this might already be in my top 10 games of all time. Just incredible.

Everything just works together so naturally. Every part of this game feels so well thought out and the game design is just brilliant, not to mention the writing is stupid good. It's like almost every little thing is at the service of the world and plot. Incredible main story and the side content is some of the best I've ever seen.

I also love how the game never makes you feel like you're breaking the narrative because you decided to go exploring and do side stuff, like after a main quest Atreus will comment on how they should go explore a bit and that the next objective isn't going anywhere. Something small but it makes the entire adventure flow amazingly well.

I estimate I put in about 30-35 hours and I still haven't touched Muspelheim, Niflheim or the Valkyries, aside from one. All that plus crafting even better armor and I feel like I have another 15 hours or so in the game.

Also, the Post game...
where it never cuts to credits and ends with you walking back into the world except with the climate completely changing outside leaving hints for the sequel...again...designing the game around setting and story. Perfect.

Last edited:

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Finished this game recently and unfortunately I did not enjoy it as much as most. I don't know what it is about this franchise but I have never liked any of the games in the series as much as everyone else. However this was definitely my favorite and I'd personally review it an 8.5 out of 10 or something in that range. It gets all of the big things right but the little things bothered me enough to not put it at the tier of my favorite games of this gen.

I loved the art design, graphics and the relationship with Kratos and his son.

The combat was great but I did not like the initiation of it. I didn't like that I'm traversing this big epic world and then I see an area that I am going to jump down into or a big empty cavern up ahead and I already know that I'm about to be attacked by 2 dozen bad guys for no reason. If this game was being made for me the battles would happen more organically along the path and there would be more motivation to my enemies about why they are attacking me. However, I know fans of the genre want this so I won't be labor the point.

I also did not like the process of going to different realms. It just seemed forced to me to have you go into some chamber and turn a crank to basically go to another level.

I also wish there were more NPC's. On one had, there were no fillers, all of the characters were great however the world felt too sparse to me because there were so few characters to interact with. For my taste, a few scattered settlements and some travelers or characters that you meet on the road (perhaps carrying side quests with them) could have made me more interested in really exploring.

Oct 30, 2017
I also did not like the process of going to different realms. It just seemed forced to me to have you go into some chamber and turn a crank to basically go to another level.

I also wish there were more NPC's. On one had, there were no fillers, all of the characters were great however the world felt too sparse to me because there were so few characters to interact with. For my taste, a few scattered settlements and some travelers or characters that you meet on the road (perhaps carrying side quests with them) could have made me more interested in really exploring.

For your first point, since each "level" exists as a world in Norse mythology, I'm assuming the developers had to design a way to transfer the player without breaking the single shot concept. I think it's well done as it is basically a loading screen, but with fancy effects, dialogue, and spoken lore.

In terms of other characters, there at least were some of the wrecked sailors on various islands in Midgard that gave side quests. But I agree with your point that it is sparsely populated in terms of NPC interaction.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FInished it. I wish I saved Sigrun for last, to end the game on a high note, because I didn't love the final boss encounter both in its gameplay structure and presentation. Sigrun is by far the highlight of the game for me in terms of pure combat experience untouched by cinematic flourishes.

Oh well. I loved the game overall and I'm gonna wrap up loose ends (Imma get dat platinum!) before giving my final thoughts.

manunkindh

Jun 7, 2018
Cory, I know you're reading this cause you said so yourself, so where is our beloved and mighty NG+? Finished the game 3 times by now and it's getting really boring as I'm not in the mood for playing anything else. Soooooo? NG+??

Nov 8, 2017
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/08/god-of-war-new-game-launches-august-20/

God of War New Game+ will be available as a free patch update on August 20 (that's our four-month anniversary already). Remember, to access all the greatness of New Game+, you'll need to complete the story campaign of God of War on any difficulty. If you already did, New Game+ will be ready and waiting for you on August 20 once you've patched. If you haven't beaten the game yet, you've got two weeks, friend. Your boat and Axe and BOI are waiting.

So what is God of War New Game+? It's inspired by your feedback first and foremost.

With New Game+ comes along a host of new gear, more difficult enemies, and cinematic skipping!
  • Relive the journey of Kratos and Atreus with all of your previous armors, enchantments, talismans, resources and abilities on the difficulty of your choosing.
  • Test your skills against higher level enemies; some of which might even have a few new tricks up their sleeves!
  • Unique to New Game+ is a brand new rarity level of equipment to craft and upgrade! Collect 'Skap Slag', a new resource to upgrade your gear to the best of the best from our finest blacksmiths.
  • Play the game in a whole new way by exploring new customization options with extremely powerful new armor sets and enchantments.
  • Finally, get right back into the action with the newly added ability to skip through cinematics in both normal and New Game+ modes once a full play through has been completed.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This actually more than I could ask for really.

The new armors is what gets me the most, that some real work by the team to make some new armors.

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back to this amazing game after a few weeks off. I'm a little disoriented lol.

Could someone give me an estimate on how far I am into the game?

A Path to Jotunheim: Locate Tyr's mysterious door

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Played through it for the last two weeks and i 5ink its the best game I have ever played. Not my favourite, but best. So many great decisions to tie in story, gameplay and everything in a cohesive package. However after having done everything in the game
I thought it would be fun to go home, like home home, to finish it of. And BOY I wasn't ready for that.