• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Everyone, should I visit Muspelheim or continue the main quest and find a magical chisel? Is Muspelheim too tough for me? I'm level 4 and a half at the moment. I'm pondering going there to get some nice loot and be completely OP for the main quest (I like being too OP, unlimited powah!). Or maybe Muspelheim is too tough for me? Don't spoil me, just a hint please, thanks.

Gorgamel

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I got the game at launch, due to being very busy, I was only able to really dive into it this past weekend. I am only a few hours in( just lowered the water level and visited the witch a second time. I have avoided guides/playthroughs because I don´t want to be spoiled. That said, I do have a few questions.

1. Currently Kratos is very close to getting to Lvl 3. Is it normal to still be level 2 a few hours in? It feels to me that he is very slow to level up.
2. Quite a few enemies just straight up one shot kill me. Mainly the huge rock monsters, the wolves that spawn from those floating orbs. Most are lvl 5 or "skull" lvl. Am I just supposed to avoid them until I level up?
3. I only use gear I find. I am just hoarding any resources I get and don't want to craft gear out of fear that I ay use precious resources that I may need later on. Am I doing it right?
4. I keep finding the fast travel portals but many just say "you can't use it at this time", what do I need to do to be able to use them?

I would also like to say that so far, I am just blown away by this game. I played all the previous GoW games and loved them, but SSM really outdid themselves.

Last edited:

Keen

Oct 29, 2017
FINALLY!!

Deafet Sigrun after 7-8 tries, grinded thru Niflheim and Muspelheim. Now to finish the final story mission and collect the Plat :D Great journey and great game!

Oct 25, 2017
Booted up the game today to load my old normal difficulty save and finish upgrading my armor in preparation for NG+ and it turns out I didn't manual save after beating Sigrun or closing the Niflheim realm tears. Now I have to beat her again in addition to farming echoes and flames. I think I have to do the second set of Muspelheim trials again, too.

Fucking save system.

They explicitly said GMGOW was a separate save so I never even thought to make a manual save before starting a new game on that difficulty.

At least it's easy as hell now after my experience with GMGOW.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone, should I visit Muspelheim or continue the main quest and find a magical chisel? Is Muspelheim too tough for me? I'm level 4 and a half at the moment. I'm pondering going there to get some nice loot and be completely OP for the main quest (I like being too OP, unlimited powah!). Or maybe Muspelheim is too tough for me? Don't spoil me, just a hint please, thanks.

Depends on what difficulty you're playing. If you're playing on the harder difficulty levels I'd stay away from Muspelheim for a while because the trials can get quite tough imo. However, it doesn't hurt to visit either and diverge from the main quest for a bit, if you find it too tough you can always go back. It's not a huge time investment to visit and explore Muspelheim.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Fucking save system.
I can never tell when the game is even saving. Is there a "saving" icon anywhere or...? I never noticed it if so. It's annoying because I have to "guess" at where the checkpoints are if I want to stop etc.

Also, it's fucking annoying when I get double-KO against some tougher enemies that drop lots of loot, and of course the loot is gone when I respawn but the enemy is dead... Happened twice already now.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Depends on what difficulty you're playing. If you're playing on the harder difficulty levels I'd stay away from Muspelheim for a while because the trials can get quite tough imo. However, it doesn't hurt to visit either and diverge from the main quest for a bit, if you find it too tough you can always go back. It's not a huge time investment to visit and explore Muspelheim.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise there would be trials there, interesting.

Well, below charts my progress in today's playthrough I... (mid-game spoilers in case anyone reading this thread is playing the game for the first time!)
finished the hunt for the chisel stuck in a giant's head. Killed one of Thor's sons (or nephew? I can't remember), and finally opened one of Odin's doors and faught a Valkyrie. Good times!

When I saw that dead giant, the graphics blew me away. Wind and snow flowing off his beard. Gorgeous. I love my PS4 Pro. God of War is basically Concept Art: The Game.

In the Valkyrie room, she wasn't moving when I entered, so I slowly walked up to her...and when she abruptly came to life I flinched so hard I accidentally pressed the PS button LOL.

Oct 25, 2017
I can never tell when the game is even saving. Is there a "saving" icon anywhere or...? I never noticed it if so. It's annoying because I have to "guess" at where the checkpoints are if I want to stop etc.

Also, it's fucking annoying when I get double-KO against some tougher enemies that drop lots of loot, and of course the loot is gone when I respawn but the enemy is dead... Happened twice already now.
Check the shop for "lost" items. I can't remember what the tab is called but it's on the far right. If there was anything important you missed out on from a double KO situation it might be there.

I haven't had any issues with losing progress until now. It saves very frequently but you're right that it's not clearly indicated.

What went wrong for me, I've now figured out, is that a certain number of autosaves are generated automatically during the current playthrough, so all my normal difficulty autosaves were overwritten long ago as I played through GMGOW. My last manual save was before I beat the final optional boss.

Fortunately with my skill gained from GMGOW it was easy to beat again. Of course I could have dropped the difficulty to easy but I didn't remember that until after the fight.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
SIGH

Atreus is killing me. Why is he so fucking annoying (late game spoilers)
He knows he's a god now
still good game though

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
SIGH

Atreus is killing me. Why is he so fucking annoying (late game spoilers)
He knows he's a god now
still good game though

Boy you weren't kidding. I'm just at that part too. Just when you think he can't get more annoying...he does.
Dude couldn't even shoot straight during one sequence, frustrating the fuck out of me! Now when I direct him to shoot, he's like "whatever", every time.

Arrrrgh!!! Kids.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Annoying Atreus really got on my nerves. Like badly.

Anyways, I beat this game a couple weeks ago and it's pretty easily my favorite PS4 exclusive and maybe even best of this gen, period. It's that good.

I just cleaned out Invalvdi's shop, am gonna upgrade my mist armor to max, do all the random side quest, and finally kill the Valk queen for my Platinum.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Annoying Atreus really got on my nerves. Like badly.

Anyways, I beat this game a couple weeks ago and it's pretty easily my favorite PS4 exclusive and maybe even best of this gen, period. It's that good.

I just cleaned out Invalvdi's shop, am gonna upgrade my mist armor to max, do all the random side quest, and finally kill the Valk queen for my Platinum.
So they succeeded in portraying an annoying kid. Another unique achievement of this phenomenal game.
I've finished all side quests and killed Valk Queen and this game doesn't cease to beg for my time. Currently trying to beat the impossible trails; great fun.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to do all the side missions first which is taking a while. I have OCD about collecting things but with no strong direction exactly where things are I'm not going to wander around looking for them.

Trying to beat all the a valkryies but they are tough (olrun took my two hours) so I am not sure if it is worth it.

Overall amazing game but I am debating just finishing it and skipping whatever side missions I have left

Last edited:

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I have finally decided to pick this up, I am enjoying the game but it's not scratching that same old God of War feel... it sounds silly but I miss the blades and jumping and the more fluid and kinetic combat from previous games.

The decision to make the game operate in a single cut without the camera cutting away is cool but it's kind of novelty no? What purpose does it serve to the actual gameplay? I think I am at the halfway point but I don't think there is as many "epic" moments as past God of War games so far, I wonder if the camera is part of the reason (those moments in past GoW games where the camera would zoom out and show you how small you were compared to the world/monster you are attacking)

Also my last (very minor) gripe, I think the game could have used some more contextual clues on what to do or where to go, it's this hybrid between open-world and linear and it is sometimes not clear on what I am suppose to do next. I know I have to move this big platform, but you have to press O on this specific section of the platform, I know I have to make a leap up at this wall but I have to angle myself a certain way or wait for Atreus to come by. This is minor, it has happened only maybe 4-5 times but it's enough to break the immersion.

I don't want to sound too negative, I am enjoying the game so far, I like the story and I do like this new gameplay but I still miss the old God of War.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I don't want to sound too negative, I am enjoying the game so far, I like the story and I do like this new gameplay but I still miss the old God of War.
You don't sound overly negative at all. It's expected that some will prefer certain aspects of the old games and not like all the changes in this new entry. That said, just keep playing. I hope you post again once you reach a certain major point in the game. I would like to read your thoughts on it. :D

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Had forgotten about the ng+ patch...booted it up, all the moves and abilities are coming back pretty quickly too. It's almost like I never left. For such a simple mechanic, they really nailed the axe toss and recall. Always feels so satisfying.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They are giving these out at Gamescom. It features the design Guerrilla made to congratulate Santa Monica on the GOW release:

DlMQmxhW4AEWfZ1.jpg

DlMQjprX0AA7LAC.jpg

I want one, I'd even bear the crazy crowds on Gamescom, lol.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
That's a cool shirt!

I'm playing it on NG+ now and I feel so powerful and it's great. I'm destroying enemies left and right

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
The only thing I keep screwing up after coming back is I am hitting "aim" when I intend to hit "block" way too often, sure that will pass soon though. And retribution pommel is amazing, going to be so nice having this for an entire playthrough.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I just got the game too - and I'm enjoying it but I'm not loving it nor am I addicted to it like I had hoped I would be. I'm at the giant corpse.

Like Nioh, the combat is great but there's so little variety in the enemies so far, none of which I find very fun to fight against. It's a BEAUTIFUL game but I don't find the level design that great and the puzzles are more of a chore than anything else.

The story does seem intriguing and I'm hoping I'll like it more the further I'm into the game.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Man Sigrun can just fuck right off. I've been trying for the past couple hours and can't get past 2/3 of her health. I've got 2 trophies left so I've basically found eveything in the game, have Ivalidias armor all maxed, the Gauntlet, etc. But she just keeps kicking my ass.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Besides the blinding, nothing specifically always gets me.
As soon as you see her fly upwards, she can do either of two attacks: the blinding shockwave, or the stomp grab. They're very different, though, since the latter has her vanishing off the screen. So basically, as soon as you see her elevate herself like that, throw your axe at her or have Atreus fire an arrow.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Don't give up my dude, I fought that bitch for three hours until I it clicked, the most rewarding finish since Ornstein and Smough.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Basically just surviving, lol. Having read and watched a bit I think I might be a little too quick to attack, but if I just stand back and block more I inevitably get caught up in something. Besides the blinding, nothing specifically always gets me.
Ah ok. I never figured out the blinding attack, but it's so obvious after watching a video. All you do is look away from her. Lol. Makes so much sense, but I never even thought to do it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
God of War, in audio book form, narrated by the smartest man alive!? I need this shit!

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm right before the return to the summit now - should I be investing in a new armor? I'm just using random armor sets I picked up like 2-3 levels ago. What's the best armor I should be looking at at this point in the game? Getting tired of the scaley arm look.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
I'm right before the return to the summit now - should I be investing in a new armor? I'm just using random armor sets I picked up like 2-3 levels ago. What's the best armor I should be looking at at this point in the game? Getting tired of the scaley arm look.

Honestly armor doesn't really matter for the main story. I did the same thing and concentrated more on upgrading my weapons as best I could.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
FINALLY KILLED HER!

A couple fights came down to next hit wins, and I finally won it one of these times. I basically kept everything the same but went Strength instead of Runic for my sockets.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Can't beat Sigrun myself. Got maxed out weapons (both), maxed out Sidri + Valk armour (Sidri Chest and Wrist, Valkyrie Waist, IIRC), focusing on Cooldown, but... nope. My best run so far has gotten me to about 4/5th of her health but I just make inevitable mistakes/am too slow to react to some of her attacks. The worst ones are the blinding and the jumping/kick spam. If my axe happens to be out while she charges the blinding flash thing, I can interrupt it, but if not I'm fucked. And the jumping kick where she knocks you down and spam kick, even if I button mash X I still take tons of damage. I can avoid it if she happens to be at a certain distance when she starts it, but if I happen to be close, I can't ever dodge it in time. Grrr

(Playing on Hard, btw.)

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
The new perfect gear is so good. Almost every stat close to max aside from vitality. I have my luck up to 210 right now and perks are triggering all the time. Three of my enchantments are for realm shift, haha. Kvasir+, and the other two slow time when I get hit or I hit an enemy. It's so awesome.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Well, it took all fucking night, but I did it. I beat the Valkyrie Queen, finally. I even grinded some hacksilver in Niflheim (urgh) to upgrade a different talisman (the Aegis one) to see if it'd make a difference, and it did, though it was still stupidly hard.

Of course the one time I do win, I beat her at full health and without using a Resurrection Stone (I did need to heal with Spartan Rage and the Aegis several times though). Go figure. I think I got lucky and she didn't spam the blinding flash and/or that shitty AOE (seriously feels like luck when those don't get me, either I'm really far away so that it doesn't hit me, or I happen to have the axe in hand and be well-positioned) this time.

Well, only "quest" left is the Niflheim Realm Tears and I can't be arsed to grind for those stupid Anchors of Fog (3 times, too? lol no). Ain't nobody got time for this shit. Time to shelve this game and move on. Solid game, around 8/10 for me.