• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in the NG+ Valkyries, but I don't think I want to replay the whole game for them.
I still need to fight the one in Muspelheim and Sigrun. They've mostly been really fun on GMGoW.

Got my second Anchor of Fog after about 10 more runs today. The time I got it though, there was a record low in chests. I barely had 1000 Mist. Go figure. Good thing I saved my rage. I wouldn't have made it back in time without the health regen from it lol

Edit: Finally got my third anchor. Took 5 hours to get 2 today and all day to get 1 yesterday. Though I was more proficient today.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I went through all of NG+ without much trouble at all with Sindri's + Valkyrie and just upgraded to their + versions as they unlocked via progression. Got the new Zeus armor and it's a great change from the runic spam style although getting used to the increased received damage gets challenging on certain enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
Sigrun has so much health. Oh my god. I've gotten her half way dead before even taking damage a few times, but I always screw up somewhere down the line. I got the fight down. Just gotta keep at it. Wasn't expecting her to do so much damage. I have way more defense than when I fought the 8th Valkyrie, and she was doing pretty small damage after getting some end game armor.

It's not quite as much damage as when I fought the first valkyries, but the fight's easily twice as long.

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else find it hilarious that Kratos had to reflect a little bit at the conclusion of the Sindri's Whetstone side quest?

I need to go back and check that!

I played NG+ on easy, just to go through only the story again and pick up on narrative bits here and there. Even though I was cutting through enemies like butter, didn't realize just how lengthy the story is by itself, and how much of the game you don't see if you only do the story.

Oct 25, 2017
I need to go back and check that!

I played NG+ on easy, just to go through only the story again and pick up on narrative bits here and there. Even though I was cutting through enemies like butter, didn't realize just how lengthy the story is by itself, and how much of the game you don't see if you only do the story.
Yeah the game is bigger than I think it is, I'm going at a decent pace, but still doing some side quests for gear. Some of the tangents are interesting. I actually like Atreus when he's not screaming in my ear during combat. Also for context the end of the Sindri's Whetstone quests has a reveal of a son killing their own father...we all know Kratos has some experience on that.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
my first complete run was story only, took me about 11 hours I think

second for the plat, was exhaustive and took a lot longer

Oct 25, 2017
Yay. Beat Sigrun on GMGoW. Platinum Trophy get. I lost with her at critical health twice before finally pulling it off lol.
Now just to clean up the last couple labours.
I'm interested in the NG+ Valkyries, but I'm really not ready to replay the whole game just for that. Maybe I'll give it a go before GoW2 launches.

Oct 27, 2017
While he was well acted...baldur was an extremely disappointing enemy to fight multiple times. Felt like I was fighting the same fight each time we saw him. Beyond that, just the lack of bosses knocks this down a few notches. They really need to ramp that up for the next game.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
As a pre-order bonus had received GoW digital comic # 1, but had completely forgotten about it. Stumbled upon it yesterday and the interactive comic is decent enough. Set before the events of the game and shows Kratos trying to control his rage. Worth a look.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Arrows don't interrupt the blinding attack on GMGoW, unfortunately.
I don't think they do in Give me a Challenge either. I tried it a few times and it didn't work.

Be sure to open as many chests as possible before opening the legendary chests in the side rooms. The drop rate should actually be quite high on GMGoW; I generally get 1-2 every run as long as I'm opening every chest.
I played on Give me a Challenge and did a few passes at that map, never got one, so I gave up. Ain't nobody got time for this xD

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
That is correct, arrows don't interrupt on give me a challenge either. Had to start throwing the axe on time.

As for Niflheim, my first few attempts there in my first playthrough, I wasn't getting an Anchor of Fog, but I know how to get one every time now. You just have to go through the entire "maze" each time, and get to the dead ends where you get a boss enemy like the dark elf lord (or the Valkyrie, first time through only). It helps to look at the map to make sure you're going in the same general direction as that usually always takes you to a dead end.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
fiqdSZv.gif

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
The risk/reward of the zeus armor set made running through the game a lot of fun on GMGOW+. After beating all Valkyries taking no damage, I think it's finally time to take a break from GoW for me unless they add more stuff to the game. :p

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Hey all

Just managed to pick up and the game a few weeks back but finally have the time to jump in. The only experience I have with the GoW series is just 1 and 2 back during launch and I can barely remember those. Is it recommended to watch the recaps in the OT or just jump right into the game? I figure the relevant backstory will be spread out in the game to brief newcomers, so it might not be necessary and it will add another layer of depth to the story and just like the boy, learning what Kratos has done previously.

Thanks

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all

Just managed to pick up and the game a few weeks back but finally have the time to jump in. The only experience I have with the GoW series is just 1 and 2 back during launch and I can barely remember those. Is it recommended to watch the recaps in the OT or just jump right into the game? I figure the relevant backstory will be spread out in the game to brief newcomers, so it might not be necessary and it will add another layer of depth to the story and just like the boy, learning what Kratos has done previously.

Thanks

It's probably worth watching a recap, yeah, just to get an idea of where Kratos is coming from personally and why he might be infamous without even realising. Knowing what he did (particularly in the third game) gives his character a lot of valuable contextualisation.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
It's probably worth watching a recap, yeah, just to get an idea of where Kratos is coming from personally and why he might be infamous without even realising. Knowing what he did (particularly in the third game) gives his character a lot of valuable contextualisation.

Thanks for the response! I watched a few recap videos, definitely want to go back and replay 1/2 and experience 3, those boss bottles seem incredible. I just started GoW last night and the encounter with "The Stranger" left me floored, felt like something out of DBZ. Though playing a bit further, I can definitely see how people of the old games might not like the shift for the new one.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Just getting into this. Pretty impressed so far.

I'm maybe like 10-15 hours in just did got the heart from Helheim. Do I still have a lot in front of me? I'm like level 4.5.

Also, haven't really been using many of the runes I've found or crafting armor. The entire crafting/upgrade system makes me feel like I need to border my resources. Someone told me not to bother and just use armor from the world. Is that a good strategy?

Last edited:

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Also, haven't really been using many of the runes I've found or crafting armor. The entire crafting/upgrade system makes me feel like I need to border my resources. Someone told me not to bother and just use armor from the world. Is that a good strategy?

It's fine to use armor from the game but you have to craft the best gear. Also, don't worry too much about money. In the end I had so much money I couldn't spend it all so just spend it on whatever upgrades you want. I never ran out of resources either so go wild on armor that you want.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine to use armor from the game but you have to craft the best gear. Also, don't worry too much about money. In the end I had so much money I couldn't spend it all so just spend it on whatever upgrades you want. I never ran out of resources either so go wild on armor that you want.
Thanks, man. Is there a way I can gauge how far I am in the game? Just finished getting the heart from Hel. I'm trying to find the way to Jotenheim right now.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Can you make a new new game plus after beating it? I mean make a new game plus with the gear aquired form beating Ng+....

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, man. Is there a way I can gauge how far I am in the game? Just finished getting the heart from Hel. I'm trying to find the way to Jotenheim right now.

I don't think there is. I really suck at estimating so I can't help you there. If I had to guess I'd say you're at 60% or something but take that with a grain of salt.

Oct 25, 2017
Ice troll boss was some good fun:

Fought the dragon as well and that was a fun boss fight. Kind of wish I didn't drop this earlier for DQXI, I was clearly meant to enjoy this fucking game. Anybody else wish they would do some prequel DLC for Kratos' wife? She sounds like a great character.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this game. For some reason I stopped forever ago, then got busy with life. Finally got back to it and that conclusion as really satisfying. That sequel tease tho....

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to burn the vines behind Kratos' house. I'm using the thing to burn all the other vines that look like that. Is there something else I need to do?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally done:

Now onto New Game+ GMGOW+ to see if I can get that shield skin... Wish me luck...

Oct 25, 2017
Ice troll boss was some good fun:

Fought the dragon as well and that was a fun boss fight. Kind of wish I didn't drop this earlier for DQXI, I was clearly meant to enjoy this fucking game. Anybody else wish they would do some prequel DLC for Kratos' wife? She sounds like a great character.

When I was finishing my NG+ run I was thinking I'd like the sequel to be split across 3 timelines - the past featuring Faye, the present picking up where GOW1 left off with Kratos and Atreus, and the future playing as older Atreus.

I'd also accept a big update to the existing game that recycles much of the world map but lets you play as Faye doing whatever stuff she was up to before her death. Kind of like the Ada content in RE4, but Faye would have to have her own unique combat style or it would be kind of pointless.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was finishing my NG+ run I was thinking I'd like the sequel to be split across 3 timelines - the past featuring Faye, the present picking up where GOW1 left off with Kratos and Atreus, and the future playing as older Atreus.

I'd also accept a big update to the existing game that recycles much of the world map but lets you play as Faye doing whatever stuff she was up to before her death. Kind of like the Ada content in RE4, but Faye would have to have her own unique combat style or it would be kind of pointless.
I'm operating under the assumption that combat with Faye would be a lot faster and slightly less brutish, but it would be something I'd love to see. Atreus got that daddy rage though so I see him fighting like Kratos.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this, and it might be really good, but MAN do I feel tired as shit these days when I pause and go to the menu screens in a AAA game.

The Map screen
The gear screen
The skill tree
The lore screen
The quest screen
etc.

It's the same shit. And so many games present this UI in the same way too. Yakuza Kiwami 2 does all that same shit but the UI looks totally different and the game spaces its world in a way very few other games do.

I mean, a game can get over that if it has other stuff that really justifies it, like Spider-Man's gamefeel or Witcher 3's story and world (which I admittedly was already bought into from the last two games and the books). I'm just saying God of War is gonna have that obstacle to get over in my experience. It's why I'm not touching Far Cry 5, Odyssey, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm operating under the assumption that combat with Faye would be a lot faster and slightly less brutish, but it would be something I'd love to see. Atreus got that daddy rage though so I see him fighting like Kratos.
He's got the rage but they kind of make it a point in the story to say he's not brutishly strong like Kratos and that his god powers are probably going to be something else. He'll probably be an agile, sneaky fighter with a bow and daggers and magic. Also bonus points if he can turn into an animal. Given the camera angle, they're kind of limited in implementing teleports or other tricky mobility options, but the camera change didn't stop them from eclipsing the combat in previous GOW games so who knows.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I never play video games during the semester, but Gamefly offered me a $1 month, so I took it and they sent me God of War. I just beat the game after 2 weeks.. and i'm not sure if it's because it's just such a fucking great game (which it is), or because it took me so long to beat.. but it really felt like a journey.. and now I'm sad that it's over. This game is a masterpiece. I am very glad I bought a PS4 last black friday. What an entertainment experience.

Oct 25, 2017
He's got the rage but they kind of make it a point in the story to say he's not brutishly strong like Kratos and that his god powers are probably going to be something else. He'll probably be an agile, sneaky fighter with a bow and daggers and magic. Also bonus points if he can turn into an animal. Given the camera angle, they're kind of limited in implementing teleports or other tricky mobility options, but the camera change didn't stop them from eclipsing the combat in previous GOW games so who knows.
I wouldn't mind if Atreus got a Tenchu styled game.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about graphics for a second, for some reason the game I keep wanting to compare this to is Doom 2016. I think it's because both are of a similar scale in terms the size of their environments and their relationship to the player.

In GOW graphics discussions I see comparisons to lots of massive open-world games and other games that do a lot of dynamic reactionary stuff like water effects, mud effects, physics, or what have you, like Assassin's Creed or The Witcher or Horizon: Zero Dawn. GOW isn't that kind of game though, it's a relatively enclosed game with a somewhat static world. I don't say that as a bad thing, that's just the kind of game it is, and the most high-end multiplatform game I can think of that's also like this is Doom 2016.

I constantly remarked at how good Doom 2016 looked in many of the same ways as GOW -- things like lighting, textures, and generally just how light reacted to those "static" environments. But it's not a completely fair comparison at all. I'm playing GOW on base PS4, and I played Doom 2016 maxed out on a 1070 at 1440p downsampled to 1080p. Plus Doom runs at 60fps which puts the PS4 version on different footing. It still seems like the most fair comparison to me though. And maybe I just haven't seen Doom 2016 in a long time though, because I was shocked at how monochromatic it looked in DF's comparison video between it and Doom Eternal.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Niflheim sucks. I can't wait to just finish it and never go back.

That Infinity Gauntlet, though, is fucking amazing. It's like having an additional, really strong runic attack.

EDIT: Ivaldi or Valkyrie armor?

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is listed somewhere in the thread, but I am playing for the first time since upgrading to a Pro and I have to download 30GB before playing? Is this some sort of Pro thing? If so, why isn't it optional?

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting my ass kicked early in the game on Hard mode. There's been two scenarios where it took me 10 or more tries to clear so far. Should I just drop Hard mode and go to Normal? I'm worried about wasting alot of time on these repeats but I'm having alot of fun getting my ass kicked at the same time

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting my ass kicked early in the game on Hard mode. There's been two scenarios where it took me 10 or more tries to clear so far. Should I just drop Hard mode and go to Normal? I'm worried about wasting alot of time on these repeats but I'm having alot of fun getting my ass kicked at the same time
No. I had that problem early on, too, but now I'm so strong that I regret not going God of War mode right off the bat.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything leading up to getting the Blades of Chaos is great. The despair in Kratos, the color palette change, the camera work, the thunder. Overall it's excellent cinematography.

surr

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished this game. For some reason I stopped forever ago, then got busy with life. Finally got back to it and that conclusion as really satisfying. That sequel tease tho....

Yup, same here. Just finally finished this and I got it the week it came out. Played super super slow and went weeks between sessions for some reason. But damn this game was GOOD. Best game of the generation for me easily.

It's so good I have no idea why it took me so long to beat it but gosh, how do I top this now? Everything I play is going to be inferior now.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best Ivaldi armor to get? What do you guys suggest for good items to socket?

Any tips on Valkyrie fights?