• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I finished the main quest today and was floored by the ending. I kept expecting a final huge boss fight while I climbed the mountain but it never came, and the ending was so much better for it. Intimate, yet the effect of seeing the giants, was incredibly powerful in the grand scheme of the lore.

The reveals for Atreus and the "final scene" were legitimately mind blowing, as well. The ending is perfectly executed—wasn't too short that so much had to be inferred and not overly long as to overstay its welcome.

Balrog and his team should be proud of what they accomplished. A massive game without some of the tired tropes of AAA gaming.

Now on to beat those fucking Valkyries. And wait for a follow-up...

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main story. Great game, but I do wish there was some more enemy variety and maybe more unique epic boss fights?

I also was hoping to see Odin and Thor in the game, especially after all the lore hype throughout the story. Guess that will be sequel content...

Will try the valkyries next.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the main story. Great game, but I do wish there was some more enemy variety and maybe more unique epic boss fights?

I also was hoping to see Odin and Thor in the game, especially after all the lore hype throughout the story. Guess that will be sequel content...

Will try the valkyries next.

Regarding the spoiler: Go back to your house after you've completed the game

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Does anyone know where I can find that emotional video of the girl talking about why God of War is her favourite game? It was posted not too long after launch, but I'm struggling to find it now.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So I picked this up again to make strides to platinum it. I really love this game, altogether.

One of my minor gripes with the game was that the enemies felt a bit spongy, but I think, after way too long, it's finally starting to click with me that I have to actually switch things up and use some of the moves I've unlocked to do real damage with my weapons. Before, when it came to the melee combat, I was kind of trying to play it a bit like "Dark Souls with Juggling", while throwing in the occasional runic attack.

I started using some of the stance switching moves, and now enemy health bars just kind of melt.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I picked this up again to make strides to platinum it. I really love this game, altogether.

One of my minor gripes with the game was that the enemies felt a bit spongy, but I think, after way too long, it's finally starting to click with me that I have to actually switch things up and use some of the moves I've unlocked to do real damage with my weapons. Before, when it came to the melee combat, I was kind of trying to play it a bit like "Dark Souls with Juggling", while throwing in the occasional runic attack.

I started using some of the stance switching moves, and now enemy health bars just kind of melt.
It's less about style and more about momentum. Successive hits without taking damage will build frost and flame on your weapons, and hits from a fully charged weapon will do a lot more damage. Later on, you'll add that with procs to do even more, and then by the end you'll just be spamming runics (which is lame).

Dec 6, 2017
US
I did my first Valkyrie fight last night and it was a really frustrating exercise. Even after winning I was left feeling like it was pure luck because she didn't end up spamming that ridiculous air-launch-heel-stomp move in her last phase.

All in all, I tried for probably an hour to get it all down and I could never reliably dodge that particular move. The camera being in so damn close and her constantly dashing around are an obnoxious recipe for confusion which frustrated me big time in regards to an obvious tell she was about to launch into that.

For me, this was one of the more bullshit attacks I've seen in a boss fight in a while and really pissed me off even after the defeat. I absolutely love the game otherwise I should add.

To clarify, this was the Valkyrie in Alfheim, so I'm not sure if I was simply under-leveled but each one of those air launch attacks knocked off close to 1/3 of my health bar and it's fairly large at this point. I've been exploring like crazy so I definitely have decent gear etc.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I did my first Valkyrie fight last night and it was a really frustrating exercise. Even after winning I was left feeling like it was pure luck because she didn't end up spamming that ridiculous air-launch-heel-stomp move in her last phase.

All in all, I tried for probably an hour to get it all down and I could never reliably dodge that particular move. The camera being in so damn close and her constantly dashing around are an obnoxious recipe for confusion which frustrated me big time in regards to an obvious tell she was about to launch into that.

For me, this was one of the more bullshit attacks I've seen in a boss fight in a while and really pissed me off even after the defeat. I absolutely love the game otherwise I should add.

To clarify, this was the Valkyrie in Alfheim, so I'm not sure if I was simply under-leveled but each one of those air launch attacks knocked off close to 1/3 of my health bar and it's fairly large at this point. I've been exploring like crazy so I definitely have decent gear etc.
Unfortunately, it looks like you started with one of the harder ones. Not so of them can use that move.

You will see it again, though. Best way to dodge it is to roll (double-tap X) as soon as the red circle appears. If you try to dodge after she leaves the ground, it's too late.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Unfortunately, it looks like you started with one of the harder ones. Not so of them can use that move.

You will see it again, though. Best way to dodge it is to roll (double-tap X) as soon as the red circle appears. If you try to dodge after she leaves the ground, it's too late.

That was my problem with it. The ultra-short reaction time combined with the often-awkward camera which can often obscure a large portion of her if she chooses to circle left in the right situation left me stunned frequently on how the hell they expected me to dodge that move.

At one point it happened twice in a row that I had her at about 1/5th of health and she spammed that move four times in a row in an awkward as hell angle. I was able to dodge two of them and despite having a good amount of health miraculously, two of them hit and downed me. I had to walk away for a minute or I would've thrown the PS4 out the window.

Edit: Actually, I'm glad to hear you say that about this being one of the harder ones. I was dreading hearing this is the easy one and good luck lulz.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That was my problem with it. The ultra-short reaction time combined with the often-awkward camera which can often obscure a large portion of her if she chooses to circle left in the right situation left me stunned frequently on how the hell they expected me to dodge that move.

At one point it happened twice in a row that I had her at about 1/5th of health and she spammed that move four times in a row in an awkward as hell angle. I was able to dodge two of them and despite having a good amount of health miraculously, two of them hit and downed me. I had to walk away for a minute or I would've thrown the PS4 out the window.

Edit: Actually, I'm glad to hear you say that about this being one of the harder ones. I was dreading hearing this is the easy one and good luck lulz.
Are you using lock on?

The thing about those fights is that you have to play defensively, since they have tons of health and don't stun or stagger. So lock on, shield up, and then punish when they flub an attack.

I found Surtr's Grip of Flame to be really useful for these fights (and in general).

Dec 6, 2017
US
Are you using lock on?

The thing about those fights is that you have to play defensively, since they have tons of health and don't stun or stagger. So lock on, shield up, and then punish when they flub an attack.

I found Surtr's Grip of Flame to be really useful for these fights (and in general).

Ironically, I have Surtr's grip equipped and always immediately lock back on even if the devious witch decides to her 'break lock on' moves!

Well, beaten for now so let's see how the next goes :/

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

The heel stomp move is absolutely obnoxious and has a bullshit camera. I sympathize. That said yeah not all of them do this move, fortunately. Don't give up, they are great fights overall, but yeah fuck this move. :D

Dec 6, 2017
US
The heel stomp move is absolutely obnoxious and has a bullshit camera. I sympathize. That said yeah not all of them do this move, fortunately. Don't give up, they are great fights overall, but yeah fuck this move. :D

I actually really liked my progression from "totally crushed" to "reliably going minimum to 50%" outside of that ridiculous fucking move! In general, I actually love the combat system as a whole and think it's a fantastic game.

The level and world design is giving me a neverending Action Adventure orgasm.

My only real gripe at all is the frequency of Atreus' banter. I truly would love it if some sort of frequency option would be included in cases like this. I'm really not into constantly being nagged and told where to look when taking more than 4 seconds in a new room to look around.

Also "BROTHER, GET UP!" for the eightieth time during tough fights does not help my impending rage meltdown xD

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm in the middle of the game (just got the shard of the chisel) and I've also been doing sidequests, so I've unlocked a fair amount of skills. But I feel like I'm not quite understanding how the stance switch attack variants function. I can reliably perform them when I'm outside of combat; hit R1, wait a beat and watch the stance switch, then continue hitting R1 or R2 in rhythm and it works fine. But in combat, I feel like half the time if I connect with an attack, I don't get the stance switch; it's like Kratos is waiting for me to continue a combo rather than switching stances. Does it not work if my initial axe move connects with an enemy? What's the best way to reliably trigger a stance switch?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of the game (just got the shard of the chisel) and I've also been doing sidequests, so I've unlocked a fair amount of skills. But I feel like I'm not quite understanding how the stance switch attack variants function. I can reliably perform them when I'm outside of combat; hit R1, wait a beat and watch the stance switch, then continue hitting R1 or R2 in rhythm and it works fine. But in combat, I feel like half the time if I connect with an attack, I don't get the stance switch; it's like Kratos is waiting for me to continue a combo rather than switching stances. Does it not work if my initial axe move connects with an enemy? What's the best way to reliably trigger a stance switch?
Execution should be exactly the same, but I suspect you're hitting the button again too soon because of the frenetic pacing of battle (where the same delay feels longer because shit's happening). Maybe try planning the combo you want to do in advance and then be deliberate with your delay by waiting a tad longer than you feel you should, or even just pause until you see the stance change.

You might also be tilting the left sick toward your enemy. Let that drop to neutral as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Execution should be exactly the same, but I suspect you're hitting the button again too soon because of the frenetic pacing of battle (where the same delay feels longer because shit's happening). Maybe try planning the combo you want to do in advance and then be deliberate with your delay by waiting a tad longer than you feel you should, or even just pause until you see the stance change.

You might also be tilting the left sick toward your enemy. Let that drop to neutral as well.
I think it's probably the stick thing more than the timing; I'll give that a try. Will he stance switch on either side? By which I mean if I use R1 and hit nothing, he returns to a stance where his right leg is back and the stance switch is obvious. But upon connecting with an R1 strike, he will take a step forward and now have the left foot back. Maybe that's just because I tend to hold the left stick forward while attacking an enemy?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Finished the main story. Best game since The Last of Usmfor me. Graphics are awesome (come on, it's mythology so artistically it is 10/10), plays really well, characters are great (all main characters are nice), the story is entertaining, not too much over the top but not predictable.

But what I loved the most is that the game makes you use different strategies / abilities to defeat different enemies. Each new enemy is a new challenge. When they mix enemies things get hard but as the game plays well even if you die 99% of the time you will know that it was your fault.

Loved how the game progresses, you visit several reasons and you always see some locked place that later you will be able to unlock, then you are always like "I can come back there and find what was behind that door...". You are always curious to see what comes next and also what you missed before.

Dialogues? Always great. Mimir is super entertaining and even though sailing takes a minute at most, it's always nice to hear his stories. The boy/father relationship evolving during the game...

The puzzles are great, the hidden chests are fun to find, always need some platforming/puzzle so you feel rewarded for getting some money or item. Its one of the only games I cared about looking for things hidden because otherwise it also gets difficult to defeat stronger enemies. Game Destin is absolute top notch.

I don't know, it's hard to think of any negative in the entire game.

Baldur Fight (3ed) is the cherry on top of this amazing game, full of action, emotions, forces you to cycle through your weapons and abilities...[

Another thing: the boy is a f****** giant God.

I like that the game doesn't end in the final boss, very few games can do that and this was the perfect way to finish this adventure.

This game is a true masterpiece. That music that Sony used to open E3 with the orchestra... I heard the very beginning and was already feeling like I was experiencing the reveal again.

Will play some more every now and then, I freed one dragon before finishing the game and tried to best one of the Valkyries (dealt 25% damage only looooool).

Last edited:

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
When I started the game this morning my TV couldn't detect a HDR signal any more. Worked perfectly fine last night.
I've tried other games like Horizon and they all send a HDR signal that my TV can detect.

Anybody else had the same problem?

Edit: Somehow the HDR setting had turned itself off. I could enable it again through the settings menu.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
US
Five valkyries down. Turns out I did the hardest one so far first :/

That 100 enemy challenge in Muspelheim was fucking awesome by the way. I felt like I went into a combat trance and somehow beat it with nearly full health at the end. I gave myself a little clap for that one.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Sooo I got this game along with a shiny new PS4 Pro when I upgraded to my first 4K TV in early December. I kind of enjoyed it for the most part and marathonned it from the beginning to the top of the mountain where you take Mimir's head in one session. Then I built a new PC, got distracted and just kind of ... stopped playing. Haven't been back since.

Someone convince me to jump back in!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Sooo I got this game along with a shiny new PS4 Pro when I upgraded to my first 4K TV in early December. I kind of enjoyed it for the most part and marathonned it from the beginning to the top of the mountain where you take Mimir's head in one session. Then I built a new PC, got distracted and just kind of ... stopped playing. Haven't been back since.

Someone convince me to jump back in!
How about some gifs from SunhiLegend ?

3oRs1PL.gif

Wl8M56i.gif

7WYqfVa.gif

Makes me want to play it and I just beat it on Saturday.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaaand I'm convinced! One and done - nailed it.

Damn Sunhi really is a legend. Due to some weird email shenanigans I wasn't confirmed as a member until yesterday despite signing up October 2017. All I could do was lurk and I was always amazed at his GIFs in the Bloodborne and RDR2 threads.

Turning on the PS4 now \[-]/

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So I'm in the
belly of the serpent
how far am I? Game is great but I'd like to wrap it up and maybe get back to it in a few months

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So apparently you will get a gift from Sony in the form of an avatar if you get the Plat.

I checked my mail but so far no luck.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I don't think they send those immediately. Maybe wait for a week. In my case, I finished the story Saturday night, but only got this story completion email today

It's pretty odd how inconsistent it is with them. I just got the avatar two days ago, eventhough I platinumed the game in May 2018, but I never got the completion mail. It took nearly four months to get the platinum theme for Bloodborne, but I still haven't received one for Horizon Zero Dawn. :(

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I picked up the game last night and played only a bit, up until the
Stranger comes and Kratos realizes his location is compromised.

This feels dramatically different from GoW III - one of my favorite games of all-time. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I've been holding out on purpose for a long time now.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. I've ran the niphelheim maze like 40 times tonight and not a single goddamn fog anchor. I thought I was going to get the platinum but I'm ready to give up here.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
I picked up the game last night and played only a bit, up until the
Stranger comes and Kratos realizes his location is compromised.

This feels dramatically different from GoW III - one of my favorite games of all-time. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I've been holding out on purpose for a long time now.
It took me longer to adapt to the new controls. I kinda miss spamming the Square, Square, Triangle combo of the old games.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing it this week and I am stunned. I skipped all reviews and didn't hear much about the game except that it dominated goty awards. So I went in that game mostly blind and I feel that this is one of the reasons I really love it. It surprises me all the time. There are so many cool new things to explore and with all its radical changes it is still an epic experience. There is so much eye candy, I can't get enough of it.
I think I will do that more often. Just look at the review scores and don't watch any trailers/videos.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Hello, is this game viable for me if I profoundly despised the previous chapters, which I found very bland in gameplay?

I see this is quite a departure, looking more as a crossover between Gears of War and a beat'em up.

I love japanese styled action games like Devil May Cry and the Souls games and good deep action games in general.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello, is this game viable for me if I profoundly despised the previous chapters, which I found very bland in gameplay?

I see this is quite a departure, looking more as a crossover between Gears of War and a beat'em up.

I love japanese styled action games like Devil May Cry and the Souls games and good deep action games in general.

I'd say yes.

Not sure what you mean with the Gears comparison but the game controls nicely a bit like a "Souls-lite" with slightly less tight design. It can be challenging on higher difficulties.

As someone who lightly enjoyed the previous games but largely dismissed them as guilty pleasure action schlock I was pleansantly surprised by this one.

I'd definitely give it a try. If you do, make sure you take the time to learn and use the higher end skills. They made a big difference for me.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaand beat it! Wow, what a journey. I was glued to the screen and can't wait for a sequel. The graphics are so good in this game, I could just look at the environments the whole day.
Next up is new game plus probably in some weeks.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Ok those valkyries are hard. I already beat 4 of those but for every fight I need multiple attempts and a resurrection stone. I really like the variation between the fights. Every valkyrie feels dramatically different.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
OK so I'm finishing up my 100% NG+ playthrough, however unfortunately due to a bug I'm unable to get 100% map completion. It says I'm missing 1 of 2 legendary chests in Tyr's Temple, but I have verified multiple times that I've opened both the chest in Tyr's vault and the one in the Hidden Chamber. I'm showing 99% map completion for all realms except for that one chest and it's triggering my OCD. I've also had a couple other bugs pop up regarding Odin's ravens respawning and not counting for completion and having to kill the raven a second time, and chests not respawning in Niflheim properly. Oh well, at least I managed to get the platinum on the game.

Speaking of NG+, they really went above and beyond! I love all the new armor sets you can get, along with the re-tooled Valkyrie fights! They were definitely harder this time. The Cod of War armor is just amazingly OP, I almost always have 4 or 5 enchantment effects triggered at a time during fights. Also having health and rage stones create ridiculously powerful explosions makes the Muspelheim trials much easier. Especially when combined with Atreus' squirrel summon.

I don't normally enjoy a second playthrough quite as much as the first, but this game is definitely the exception to that rule!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I found myself mainlining the story content and not doing a huge amount of sidequests, especially after Helheim. Now I'm getting back into it and clearing things up and I'm sort of astonished by how much stuff I missed. My biggest complaint about the game right now is that there are clearly levels associated with things (like enemies, most importantly), but the game offers absolutely no suggestion about whether a particular sidequest or area is appropriately leveled for you or whether everything is going to one-shot you. I would find a new area and go, ooooh, what's over here, and immediately die. Even sidequests that can get added to your quest log early in the game can be way overleveled for you without any indication until you attempt it. The one area you know is going to be your level is the next main quest... and so I stuck to those. So I wish the game communicated which content was around your level, as I would've tried to do more side stuff before completing the main story.

That said, going back and cleaning up some areas now has me feeling like an unstoppable wrecking machine. I'm blazing through arena battles like they were nothing. When you do things in the right order, the game is good at making you feel progressively more powerful. When you do things in the wrong order, the game is good at making you feel like an infant.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I found myself mainlining the story content and not doing a huge amount of sidequests, especially after Helheim. Now I'm getting back into it and clearing things up and I'm sort of astonished by how much stuff I missed. My biggest complaint about the game right now is that there are clearly levels associated with things (like enemies, most importantly), but the game offers absolutely no suggestion about whether a particular sidequest or area is appropriately leveled for you or whether everything is going to one-shot you. I would find a new area and go, ooooh, what's over here, and immediately die. Even sidequests that can get added to your quest log early in the game can be way overleveled for you without any indication until you attempt it. The one area you know is going to be your level is the next main quest... and so I stuck to those. So I wish the game communicated which content was around your level, as I would've tried to do more side stuff before completing the main story.

That said, going back and cleaning up some areas now has me feeling like an unstoppable wrecking machine. I'm blazing through arena battles like they were nothing. When you do things in the right order, the game is good at making you feel progressively more powerful. When you do things in the wrong order, the game is good at making you feel like an infant.
Do the optional realm stuff, the equipment you get from them is super helpful in making sure your "level" is high enough to do all the side stuff. Since strength is like 80% based on equipment you can be super powerful fairly early in the game.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Holy crap the
queen valkyrie
is hard as hell lol. Any tips besides getting gear to level 9?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Do the optional realm stuff, the equipment you get from them is super helpful in making sure your "level" is high enough to do all the side stuff. Since strength is like 80% based on equipment you can be super powerful fairly early in the game.
Oh, I realized that after the fact, it's just I didn't even open up Muspelheim or Niflheim until after I'd beaten the game and done the dwarve's sidequest to get the legendary dwarven armor. I had my concerns about the arena battles, but going in and facing waves of Level 3 enemies is just like "oh honey, please." Which is to say nothing of Veithurgard, which I cleaved through like a hot knife through butter. I am a little bummed that I didn't explore more of the optional areas prior to completing the story (not that the timing matters that much, since I clearly didn't need padded stats to beat the story). Say what you will about Assassin's Creed Origins, but seeing the enemy level range of a region before attempting to go there is really helpful and certainly would have had me prioritizing my journey differently.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I realized that after the fact, it's just I didn't even open up Muspelheim or Niflheim until after I'd beaten the game and done the dwarve's sidequest to get the legendary dwarven armor. I had my concerns about the arena battles, but going in and facing waves of Level 3 enemies is just like "oh honey, please." Which is to say nothing of Veithurgard, which I cleaved through like a hot knife through butter. I am a little bummed that I didn't explore more of the optional areas prior to completing the story (not that the timing matters that much, since I clearly didn't need padded stats to beat the story). Say what you will about Assassin's Creed Origins, but seeing the enemy level range of a region before attempting to go there is really helpful and certainly would have had me prioritizing my journey differently.
Yeah I get what you're saying, I didn't mind going to an area and getting my ass handed to me and coming back later but I know some people don't enjoy that so much. I always enjoy finding out the hard way in a game that I'm not supposed to be somewhere yet lol.