• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do portals remain one-way throughout the game or can I freely teleport from one portal to the other at some point. Just yes/no please.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Yes
they will become both way and you can pick where to go eventually

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Queen is the hardest boss in the game so no worries - you have a realy huge challange ahead of you
I just unlocked the queen. For reference, I have the full Valkyrie armor set equipped, fully upgraded, along with the shattered gauntlet of the ages with some of the legendary enchantments in it that allow it to shoot missiles. So that's 12 legendary enchantments across all my armor, weapons fully upgraded, all skills unlocked, runic attacks all upgraded to the highest level (I haven't bought the final two from Brok and Sindri yet). My numeric level is given as 9+ on the stats screen. I can roll pretty much any enemy in the game without issue. In the process of clearing out the Valkyrie in Niflheim, I ended up going into every single chamber and clearing them all out prior to taking her on in the same run-through and I ran through her relatively easily; cleared 9,000 Mist Echoes in a single run before realizing after coming out of the mist that I hadn't even bothered to bring a resurrection stone with me. And I still cleaved through everything!

My point is my character is pretty fucking strong. I'm basically as high level as you possibly could be going into the final Valkyrie fight.

So the first time I faced the queen (on the second easiest difficulty mind you, because I am not looking for too much of a challenge), I got her down to about 20% hp remaining before she got me. Not bad, seems doable. The second time, I just dropped her below half. Third time, couldn't even manage that. Fourth time, down to about a third hp remaining or so. And then I gave up for the night. She's legitimately hard. It doesn't feel like an unfair fight by any means; sure, she has a cubic ass-ton of unblockable attacks, but they're all things you've seen before in other Valkyrie fights and a large number of her base attacks are easy to block, dodge or parry. It's just a matter of thinking defensively and looking for openings; I tend to just go full-on aggressive (which is also why the only Mustpelheim challenges that are remotely difficult for me are the "don't get hit" ones). So I'll try tackling her again here pretty soon; I feel like I can beat her without dropping the game to Easy, but I also tend to be someone who will not try something more than about 5 times in succession without quitting to go do something else.

After that, I imagine it's time to launch New Game+. Does the level of loot scale appropriately too? Eg, am I still only going to be getting a couple hundred hacksilver from early chests, or will it be a few thousand now as gear is more expensive?

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
how hard are the valkyries on the easiest difficulty and at level 8/9? i want to get the platinum but i hate boss fights that take more than a few tries.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
how hard are the valkyries on the easiest difficulty and at level 8/9? i want to get the platinum but i hate boss fights that take more than a few tries.
They're pretty easy on the easiest difficulty setting, especially if you have max level gear. I tried the Valkyrie Queen (the hardest one) on easy after she beat me a handful of times on normal, and I rolled her easily. Frankly, at level 8/9, most of the Valkyries apart from the Queen are fairly easy; you might need to burn a resurrection stone on them, but you should be able to beat most in one or two tries tops on normal.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really hope we get to travel to Greece at some point, Kratos showing Atreus where he was born, perhaps at the end of the new trilogy.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful movie-style poster made by a fan on Reddit:

k99jgsh58rf21.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/ap4iyc/god_of_war_film_poster/

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Finally decided to buy this game after seeing the TLOU vs GOW thread.

Which is better, performance or resolution, on the graphical settings?

I'm playing on a 1080p set.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well, I just beat Sigrun on NG+.

Both Normal and NG+ 100%.

It's very rare I do this with games but this was the exception.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably at the end now that Mimir is telling me to do side stuff before a quest. I only have Niflheim left which is a grind.

I wanna finish the game but at the same time farming mists is so boring.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm probably at the end now that Mimir is telling me to do side stuff before a quest. I only have Niflheim left which is a grind.

I wanna finish the game but at the same time farming mists is so boring.
Have you unlocked the Ivaldi armor set? Once you have that on and upgraded, Niflheim becomes a breeze, and since you'll get progressively more Mist Echoes from each subsequent chest you unlock in a single run, you can clear 8,000+ in a single pass pretty routinely. You shouldn't have to do that very many times to unlock all the chests and realm tears.

Have you finished Mustpelheim as well? How about all the Valkyries? You don't need to do that stuff prior to the final missions, mind you, as you'll be allowed to continue exploring the world when the story concludes.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I was thinking about something regarding the Dew's, seeing as you can start a NG+ as many times as you want, cant you technically just farm those Dews and max out your stats? It will probably take a long ass time but seems it could work, right?

Just play up to when the water drops, collect the Dew, save and then start a new game+ using that save file. Rinse and repeat.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Have you unlocked the Ivaldi armor set? Once you have that on and upgraded, Niflheim becomes a breeze, and since you'll get progressively more Mist Echoes from each subsequent chest you unlock in a single run, you can clear 8,000+ in a single pass pretty routinely. You shouldn't have to do that very many times to unlock all the chests and realm tears.

Have you finished Mustpelheim as well? How about all the Valkyries? You don't need to do that stuff prior to the final missions, mind you, as you'll be allowed to continue exploring the world when the story concludes.
I see. I guess I need to farm for an Ivaldi set.

Yeah I've 100% all the realms aside from Niflheim.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Jut started to really get in to this...and it's fantastic. Although I'm really early on Brok's introduction was excellent...such a great character...and the feels when the boy became a man. Amazing world design, nice if not too taxing puzzles but, at times, a clunky combat system.

QUESTION: When I complete it can I go back to my house? There are parts I didn't explore around there (but the game is telling me no right now!)?

Performance. There's virtually no difference in visual quality but it runs much smoother and makes the combat feel better.
I'm playing in Resolution mode. No issues here...so far. I guess it'll buckle a little further on.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The ship part in Helheim on Give Me God of War is fucking awful. Holy crap my fingers after that part.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Could anyone tell me how far into the game I am without spoiling too much? I just arrived at
the snowy village where a giant lies holding a hammer
. On one hand it feels like I'm quite far along as I'm close to unlocking everything on the skill tree, but on the other hand things are just getting started plot-wise. I don't even know what the game's version of Odin looks like.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Could anyone tell me how far into the game I am without spoiling too much? I just arrived at
the snowy village where a giant lies holding a hammer
. On one hand it feels like I'm quite far along as I'm close to unlocking everything on the skill tree, but on the other hand things are just getting started plot-wise. I don't even know what the game's version of Odin looks like.
Depends on how many side quests you've done, but perhaps half way through?

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble completing God of War Muspelheim Trial 3. I almost had it once, just one hit more would have done it but nope! I spent over an hour and quit in frustration. Going to do something else and come back to it later.

Any tips btw?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Having trouble completing God of War Muspelheim Trial 3. I almost had it once, just one hit more would have done it but nope! I spent over an hour and quit in frustration. Going to do something else and come back to it later.

Any tips btw?
Can you clarify what you mean by trial 3? There are a total of 6 different arenas and each has 2 trials (identified in the game as "normal" and "hard"). Are you on the first trial of the second arena area, or one of the trials of the third arena area?

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
My apologies. I meant the third trial (arena) normal.

I went back to exploring the Lake of Nine in the meantime
the water has gone down
. Might tackle it later .

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
What would be the name of the next god of war? God of War 2? God of war 5? 4...? I wonder what they're gonna call it.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
What would be the name of the next god of war? God of War 2? God of war 5? 4...? I wonder what they're gonna call it.
God of War Part 2 or
God of War Ragnarok

I'm guessing they want to name the title of their next game differently than just 2 so that they wont confuse people with the past games.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
BOY
I got this recently BOY and I am enjoying it so far. BOY I am not far in so the story isn't really doing much for me but I like killing things. Keen to see how the whole thing coalesces, as it feels inherently conservative atm, but that isn't a bad thing: it's gorgeous and engaging. BOY Stranger fight was epic in terms of feel, not so much in terms of gameplay, but was fun!

One issue: on base PS4 I am getting a fair number of frame hitches, is this common or is it my console? BOY

Last edited:

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Hey I'm sorry to bump up old thread I just picked up this game last today f****** love it is there any point putting points into luck

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Beginning to lose interest a little. It is very very impressive but I find Atreus pretty irritating, which is odd as I normally have a lot of patience for such characters (he is also overused as a player guide imo). It feels a bit like Horizon: super impressive and strangely conservative at the same time: one shot cinematography and lovely production coupled to fairly standard RPG-lite and fairly standard irony. I just fought a dragon and it felt... OK. But then it does some thing much more interesting and I get back on board (some of the more routine combat is, conversely, way more fun and really cool).

Gonna keep playing obviously, no doubt it will have more peaks than troughs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing this and loved every minute of it (having finished every previous entry, except for Ascension).

I probably don't have anything new to say that hasn't been said already but after finishing the game I'm surprised just how much and how great the side content is.

The Dwarves' quests, the Valkyrie, Niflheim etc.

Can't wait for the next one!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Is 'give me a challenge' difficulty a little bit too hard or is it just me?
It starts out difficult. As you unlock more abilities and start figuring out the mechanics, it becomes too easy. I think the game struggles on balance slightly, because once you start unlocking the good gear, suddenly everything can start to feel like a cakewalk where before it was difficult. But there's certainly no shame in turning down the difficulty if you're having issues and ramping it back up later down the road. You can't do the "Give me God of War" setting and change it midgame, but everything else is adjustable on the fly.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The flying dudes with the fucking spears are infuriating and way too fucking OP.
When you start getting gear that lowers cooldown, you can take those guys out easily with AOE runic attacks. I'm partial to Ivaldi's Anvil which I believe gets unlocked very early. And, as someone else mentioned, get Atreus spamming arrows at them. Not only does it stun them but it redirects their focus onto Atreus which buys you some space.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of the ones that fight like that boss, they're all very susceptible to light arrows and stun. Have Atreus light them up and grab.
When you start getting gear that lowers cooldown, you can take those guys out easily with AOE runic attacks. I'm partial to Ivaldi's Anvil which I believe gets unlocked very early. And, as someone else mentioned, get Atreus spamming arrows at them. Not only does it stun them but it redirects their focus onto Atreus which buys you some space.
Thanks for the tips. I do believe, unfortunately, I am fighting ones that play like the boss? (jotunheim tower)

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Recently came back to God of War after finishing it last year. GMGOW NG+ is loads of fun and better balanced than new game GMGOW at the start where every little mook is a tank.
Zeus armour is OP OP: