• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
08ydsrc6hd781.jpg

This better be a substantial upgrade from PS4.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
This won't mean much until we know what hardware is needed to match PS4 Pro quality settings at the same resolution. You can make settings as heavy as you want at 'ultra', doesn't mean it should be the target too.

Mark Dagician

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not trying to be rude here. But are we supposed to be impressed? If anything 57 fps at 4K is kinda meh... specially on PC.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird advert.

"57FPS" such an odd number
"FSR not enabled in displayed footage"

And FSR 4K is basically, not 4K (reconstructed or otherwise). I wish AMD would stop talking it up as if it's a reconstruction technique cause then people start talking about it as well in that manner and it spreads misinformation.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro checkerboarding looks better than this
It says on the picture that the image does not show FSR in use. So the picture is actually completely irrelevant.

I guess the one concern to take away from this when we don't have any other data or metrics to go on is that this card is the recommended spec for 4k/60fps. If it isn't matching that at a lower resolution (due to FSR enabled), this is a problem. Though even then we don't know the CPU used here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
As is always the case with stuff like this, be considerate of engine optimisation and settings running at "ultra" or whatever and what that actually means in the rendering engine. Superficial numbers and values without context don't give us an accurate read of actual performance.

So, for example, while I think many of us are under the impression that God of War's PC enhancements aren't particularly incredible (at least on paper), and it's a generation old game at this point, and so should be scalable up to 4K pretty easily on cutting edge hardware, we don't know how well the engine handles said PC enhancements or how they're scaled. EG: adding in higher quality ambient occlusions that are scalable up to an "ultra" setting well past reasonable performance vs. image quality returns could very easily mangle the framerate. Hardware and engines are ideally built for optimised image quality and the impression of detail while intelligently scaling down, but sometimes "ultra" settings in games are well past a point of reasonable performance cost, with negligible image enhancements.

We'll have to wait and see.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
This tells me nothing, no settings (other than 4k FSR which I personally won't touch) and FSR is not worth it either way.

I understand they want to hype it up but people are now more confused than before and people arguing like this is proof of anything of substance.

I don't even count the release without the day 1 patch (and nvidia driver) honestly, so much can change before you even try the game.

Oh man, please don't be another Horizon PC situation.

Obviously not day 1 state of Horizon but the game especially with the latest DLSS featuring patch is phenomenal. I have a feeling that Sony will do a good job with GoW, maybe a few first weeks of medium to small trouble but if they learned anything from their releases before it will work out well (and from the looks of it it's very likely they have).

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
High volumetrics (they were downgraded day one patch on PS4) & improved AO/Shadows are going to tank the framerate.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The image is a compressed native image, it's the performance that's the issue

It says on the picture that the image does not show FSR in use. So the picture is actually completely irrelevant.

I guess the one concern to take away from this when we don't have any other data or metrics to go on is that this card is the recommended spec for 4k/60fps. If it isn't matching that at a lower resolution (due to FSR enabled), this is a problem. Though even then we don't know the CPU used here.
This can't be happening...

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
DLSS performance mode to 4k means 1080p base res even then I don't think it is running at 4k 120fps on my 3080.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
As is always the case with stuff like this, be considerate of engine optimisation and settings running at "ultra" or whatever and what that actually means in the rendering engine. Superficial numbers and values without context don't give us an accurate read of actual performance.

So, for example, while I think many of us are under the impression that God of War's PC enhancements aren't particularly incredible (at least on paper), and it's a generation old game at this point, and so should be scalable up to 4K pretty easily on cutting edge hardware, we don't know how well the engine handles said PC enhancements or how they're scaled. EG: adding in higher quality ambient occlusions that are scalable up to an "ultra" setting well past reasonable performance vs. image quality returns could very easily mangle the framerate. Hardware and engines are ideally built for optimised image quality and the impression of detail while intelligently scaling down, but sometimes "ultra" settings in games are well past a point of reasonable performance cost, with negligible image enhancements.

We'll have to wait and see.
basically this. hopefully it's just silly new settings.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Advertising 57fps instead of like 60 seems oddly funny and annoying to me, just lower some shadow and let me see the satisfying combo of numbers 6 and zero.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure they should be advertising that. We know it has DLSS, which is likely going to create way better numbers.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
better shadows and ao, nvidia reflx support.

but i mean, their engine is custom built for ps4 so not surprising if it isn't super optimized.
Better SSR reflections as well.

This all scales up with resolution so even with FSR Ultra quality the rendering resolution is significantly higher than PS4/Pro.

Nov 2, 2017
Not that surprising given that the PS5 runs this at 4K CBR 60 fps and while CBR isn't exactly like rendering half of the res I doubt CBR itself is very costly.
From my experience fsr is a better performer than dlss, both at ultra preset of course.
Well, those are just presets. I've seen games where "Performance" DLSS looks better than "Ultra" FSR so you can get away with a much lower preset for DLSS.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand people's obsession with always using Ultra settings. A number of settings offer almost 0 improvement and tank frame rates. If I decide to replay the game on PC, I'll use DLSS Quality mode plus turn down shadows and volumetric lighting to very high or whatever instead of ultra.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand people's obsession with always using Ultra settings. A number of settings offer almost 0 improvement and tank frame rates. If I decide to replay the game on PC, I'll use DLSS Quality mode plus turn down shadows and volumetric lighting to very high or whatever instead of ultra.

Personally, it's choice paralysis. I find it hard to decide which settings are worth dropping for the performance gains. This is why guides like digital foundry's optimised settings so useful.