• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
Seems that God of War was originally scheduled for November 11, but this was moved to November 9, per "deleted tweets":

comicbook.com

God of War Ragnarok Deleted Trailer Suggests Game Almost Shared Starfield's Release Date

God of War Ragnarok's release date has been a sore subject among many for months simply because it [...]

A number of tweets reposted a deleted trailer for God of War Ragnarok, suggesting the game was originally going to release on November 11th, 2022. This was the original release date for Xbox's Starfield which got delayed to 2023. Given PlayStation games usually release on Tuesday or Friday, a Wednesday release date does raise some eyebrows. The deleted trailer with the incorrect release date was quickly deleted with a revised version. It's unclear if this was just a typo or if Sony did believe it would release on November 11th at some point. After all, it would be pretty strategic to take the release date of what would've been one of the biggest games of 2022. It's possible Sony opted to release it sooner rather than later or didn't want to stir up any bad blood, so it nixed the release date. There is also some Norse mythology surrounding the meaning of Wednesday, as that day of the week is dedicated to Odin. The aforementioned character is expected to appear in the game.

FXtrsefUsAAAusH

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1547949576912375810

Edit: Normally i wouldnt post it, but Sony themselves seem to have accidentally confirmed it. The date change seems to coincide with Norse Mithology than anything else.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Friday would have fit with Sony's normal release schedule but Cory mentioned that the team gave a lot of thought to which day to release the game. They instead chose Wednesday the 9th. Wednesday originates from the name Wodan's Day, named after Odin. Given the setting and theme of the game, it seems they felt having it on the day associated with Odin was important.

PunishedPatches

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2022
Starfield was delayed I thought.

edit: Reread the tweet. I thought it was about Sony avoiding Starfield at first.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Friday would have fit with Sony's normal release schedule but Cory mentioned that the team gave a lot of thought to which day to release the game. They instead chose Wednesday the 9th. Wednesday originates from the name Wodan's Day, named after Odin. Given the setting and theme of the game, it seems they felt having it on the day associated with Odin was important.
Oooooohh. I'll forgive them for not choosing chaos in that case.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I still find it weird that it isn't and instead on a Wednesday
they made some connection to the mythos about it but...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Also worth remembering that in addition to Wednesday being named after Odin, the number 9 is also significant with Norse mythology having 9 realms. Seems like a nifty day that lines up nicely for the lore used by the game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
In another timeline we got both games on the same day and multiplatform owners were drowning in greatness

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I heard after the announcement that it was indeed planned for 11/11/22, and that the sudden release change to 11/9/22 was why they bumped back the announcement from June 30 to the week after. Not 100% sure why they moved it. I think it was more of a logistical thing rather than anything to do with Starfield.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I heard after the announcement that it was indeed planned for 11/11/22, and that the sudden release change to 11/9/22 was why they bumped back the announcement from June 30 to the week after. Not 100% sure why they moved it. I think it was more of a logistical thing rather than anything to do with Starfield.

Nifty, thanks. I do like the explanation that they chose a day that celebrated Odin and also referenced the 9 realms if only for those reasons alone. Maybe there are other reasons unknown to me that November 9th is significant, but those 2 reasons are pretty nifty IMO.

A quick Wiki search seems to indicate the number 9 has a lot of significance in Norse mythology

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
why would anyone care about starfield's original release date? this some fanboy drama baiting shit

Taleboules

Community Manager at Light Brick Studio
Verified
Jun 11, 2021

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I found it funny that Sony crazies, not to be mistaken for normal Sony fans, thought that this was some shot at Starfield by Sony when it seems Sony wanted this date and Starfield taking it first scared them. Not that any of that matters because both games coming out so soon is awesome.

Edit: just remembered Starfield was delayed lol now it all makes sense. Too much drinking

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Not sure why some think this is a big deal, the old date means nothing anymore. Neither game is coming out on 11-11.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that Sony, delaying the game by -2 days.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Shouldve delayed to 2023 so it can share release dates with Starfield again

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Complete.

Utter.

Disrespect.

Fortunately someone within the cockles of Sony put someone to task and prevented a TRUE console war. I'm shaking typing this.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the console warring if both made that date would have made the time fly. But yeah I doubt Starfield actually played any role in the change.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
The next 11-11 on a day a game would actually release won't be until 2025. By then both studios will obviously be working on shit we won't see until PS6

LOL, with the legnth of last gen, cross-gen AAAs, and current shortages we'd be lucky to see a PS6 exclusive Sony SD title on 11/11/2029.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony must have moved it back out of respect for God Howard.

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2022

Maybe because 9 is an important number for Norse Mythology (9 worlds in Norse mythology and Wednesday is Odin's day).

Ok…? So what's your point?

Nothing special. I just found worth posting because Sony itself seems to have accidentaly confirmed it with the deleted tweets. Btw, it was heavily speculated GoW would be releasing in 11.11.22 prior to the announcement after some insiders (and Jason) reported they moved the date to Q4.

Btw, can i kill people instead of knocking them out in Plague's 2?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Some people idiots would find it as an affront so glad they changed the date. Dumb that it has to happen but it has to happen nowadays.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
As an aside, that brief OST that leads into the God of War motif is ducking beautiful. Emotionally epic are the vibes I got from that.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
This is a big W and I'm glad they chose it. 9 realms, Odin's day, no controversy overshadowing, this news leaking makes Sony look merciful/considerate instead of petty/warry, 2 extra days to book off to play, even earlier than TGAs cutoff, distance of a day from Black Panther 2. Big W.

Cannot wait for the 9th. Might book off work to play.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really do prefer a game dropping on Friday. Wednesday release will lead to a couple post work constrained evenings for the first few play sessions. I prefer to dive fully into it on a weekend.

Not that I'm waiting of course.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I mean it's a Friday in November, so yeah makes sense. I don't think it sharing the same date as Starfield is that significant to be honest and I doubt that was intentional.