• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's with gamers and geek culture in general being so obsessive about this? Are they so insecure or do they have nothing better to do? Worrying that critics are seeking attention because they have a game an 8/10? Or 7/10?Lol
3926.jpg

different people, different opinions, different reactions, etc... Surprise. What I don't get is why people even care about both sides.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's with gamers and geek culture in general being so obsessive about this? Are they so insecure or do they have nothing better to do? Worrying that critics are seeking attention because they have a game an 8/10? Lol

Their needless obsession with what they consume clouds their better judgment, which leads them to come to any conclusion, no matter how irrational or unlikely, that justifies what they like as a good product.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
All three of them are one of the best games I've ever played.

Part of me wish GOW gets more perfect scores so it can settle on 95 in metacritic... other part of me wants TLOU to hold the title of the most earned perfect scores.

It lost that title last year. BotW has 70 perfect scores and Odyssey has 56 perfect scores.

Also the mental gymnastics people are doing in this thread are hilarious. People seriously are complaining about subjective opinions just because they don't agree with a reviewer?

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
To me... TLOU is a better game, but GOW is also an amazing one and I love it to death <3

I meant between the three and Sony first party games :-)

Well then that's fine, but as of now it's pretty clear to me (though I'm only about 10 hours into GoW).

TLOU>>>>>>GoW>>>>hot garbage>Uncharted4

The Last of Us was pretty great, not perfect, but a great game. In fact the multiplayer for me is what made it truly excellent. Some of the most enthralling, tense and addictive multiplayer I've ever played. It was completely unexpected. The crafting, which didn't work well in the game for me, elevated the strategy in the mp to another level.

GoW has been a pretty good experience so far, but I'm still not used to the camera in conjunction with the combat system.

I really did not like Uncharted. Walk, walk walk, climb, climb, climb, bad gunplay/action piece, climb, climb, walk walk. It got boring...fast.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with gamers and geek culture in general being so obsessive about this? Are they so insecure or do they have nothing better to do? Worrying that critics are seeking attention because they have a game an 8/10? Or 7/10?Lol
People make the things they like their identity, and they don't like seeing their identity criticized.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
I really did not like Uncharted. Walk, walk walk, climb, climb, climb, bad gunplay/action piece, climb, climb, walk walk. It got boring...fast.

Say what you want about UC4 but bad gunplay/ action? C'mon!

Besides you can tear apart any game with "you do X Y Z repeatedly", doesn't say much.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Don't get me wrong I love TLoU but wasn't it the same? "walk walk walk walk, bad gunplay"

True, but it was that along with an interesting story and better banter from Ellie and Joel. Walking around in that world was infinitely better than walking around in Uncharted, it was more interesting and bleak. It had personality. The lows in TLOU were better than the best segments in Uncharted.

Gurish

Banned
Mar 20, 2018
UC4 Hot garbage? I have bad news for you...

The usual hyperbole of the vocal minority, don't take it too seriously, at the end of the day UC4:

1) Had amazing reviews
2) Won the GOTY of that year, including in this site (when it was "the old place")
3) Sold like crazy

I mean, it was successful by any merit that you can think of, but because of some pacing issues (caused because of the troubled development) the vocal minority like to paint a picture as if the game was shit, let them, it won't change the fact that the vast majority think it was an awesome game.

Piku_Ringo

Oct 28, 2017
The usual hyperbole of the vocal minority, don't take it too seriously, at the end of the day UC4:

1) Had amazing reviews
2) Won the GOTY of that year, including in this site (when it was "the old place")
3) Sold like crazy

I mean, it was successful by any merit that you can think of, but because of some pacing issues (caused because of the troubled development) the vocal minority like to paint a picture as if the game was shit, let them, it won't change the fact that the vast majority think it was an awesome game.
basically all of this

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still has PlayStation Official Magazine UK and AU,so I am expecting 2 100.
Other magazines:
Level.cz (next issue #285)
Game Master Magazine UK
Pelit.fi
CD-Action
Games(TM)
Sites:
LaPS4
PlayStation Country
IBTimes.uk
Riot Pixels
Darkzero
Toronto Sun
Let's play videogames
Apptrigger
You better don't bet on a 10/10 from OPM UK. It will get a 8 or a 9.

MisterBear

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And? This is normal, everyday, common thing. You're making a boogeyman out of the notion of "biases" Everyone has biases; they're called expectations, experience, what you like and dislike, reflecting on what you experienced.
Yea, but I think when you review a experience or package, it should be devoid of outer-critical influences. As far as public opinion goes, that is organic and is adjusted based on perceptions of others opinions, but the entire point of a critic (and why they get it early) is to look at it within a vacuum of sorts and judge the game based on the terms of the game.

If you wait a few weeks and have a chance to see what everyone else says, and even say in your review "Yea lot of people love it.. but" then you start getting tied into that cultural bias instead of just viewing that game for what it is.

It's like dropping a review a year later and being like, "Ehh it's not worth all the hype 6/10". That perception has since been altered and removed from the actual product...

Again, that's still a fair opinion, but that's not an accurate Professional Critical Opinion.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but I think when you review a experience or package, it should be devoid of outer-critical influences. As far as public opinion goes, that is organic and is adjusted based on perceptions of others opinions, but the entire point of a critic (and why they get it early) is to look at it within a vacuum of sorts and judge the game based on the terms of the game.

If you wait a few weeks and have a chance to see what everyone else says, and even say in your review "Yea lot of people love it.. but" then you start getting tied into that cultural bias instead of just viewing that game for what it is.

It's like dropping a review a year later and being like, "Ehh it's not worth all the hype 6/10". That perception has since been altered and removed from the actual product...

Again, that's still a fair opinion, but that's not an accurate Professional Critical Opinion.
Games - no piece of media really - and people don't exist in a vacuum though. How you experience something is never just the game or work itself.

And that's not why reviewers get games early.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm finding crafting armor to be completely useless for the majority of the game. They give you the materials for the better stuff so slowly that by the time I have enough for more than one piece of the set, it's far below stuff I've found in chests just wandering around.

MisterBear

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Games - no piece of media really - and people don't exist in a vacuum though. How you experience something is never just the game or work itself.

And that's not why reviewers get games early.
Yes, I know, that's why I said Public-Opinion is still valid. But that's not similar to a professional critical critique of something that is looking at something removed from others opinions. Shaping your review based on other reviews that came out, defeats the purpose of a review.

And yea, you get early copies to make an opinion about a product before the masses get to it, so you can make an informed decision that will help others make the correct purchasing decision when it releases.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017
Ever read their magazines and reviews? They're not easy to please.
PS exclusives please them just fine.

The Last of Us
The last guardian
Shadow of the Colossus
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 4
Journey
God of War: Chains of Olympus
MGS 4
MLB 09
MLB 10
MLB 11
MLB 12
Little Big Planet
Little Big Planet 2
Persona 5

All 100s.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm finding crafting armor to be completely useless for the majority of the game. They give you the materials for the better stuff so slowly that by the time I have enough for more than one piece of the set, it's far below stuff I've found in chests just wandering around.
Some normal ones are pretty useful, but the gear available crafting tends to scale better, give you set bonuses or include rarer perks. I guess they're good for the end-game and the toughest enemies.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
If you have a PS4 play this right now. Shush, no words, no thoughts, no excuses - only play now.
If you don't have a PS4, get your hands on one and play the fuck out of this.

/my-review

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

But crafting and levelling up your armor and weapons increases your overall stats and level.

gamerman

Oct 27, 2017

I totally agree. Basing your review on the reviews that are already written is not professional. Everybody is free to have an opinion and score but shouldn't call in to question other people's opinions or even use them as a basis for their review. Saying things like "I don't know why others love it" or "I wish I understood what all the critics were raving about in their onslaught of 10/10 reviews" is far from professional.

Gurish

Banned
Mar 20, 2018
But crafting and levelling up your armor and weapons increases your overall stats and level.

I don't really understand how this aspect woeks, how am I supposed to know if the "special" armor that I found during a dangerous quest is better than the upgraded regular stuff?

When I compare the stats like "strength", "defence" etc it seems like my normal upgraded armom is superior.

Don't know when I should switch.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some normal ones are pretty useful, but the gear available crafting tends to scale better, give you set bonuses or include rarer perks. I guess they're good for the end-game and the toughest enemies.
It'd be nice to know how well. Stuff like Tyr's and the Travelers set just look really bad stat wise.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
I don't really understand how this aspect woeks, how am I supposed to know if the "special" armor that I found during a dangerous quest is better than the upgraded regular stuff?

When I compare the stats like "strength", "defence" etc it seems like my normal upgraded armom is superior.

Don't know when I should switch.

If your MAX gear is 5 and the gear you find is 5 even if you see a "downgrade" that lvl 5 ungraded can potentially be lvl 7..of-coarse it's much better... also the enchantments sockets are also part of the your "high/lower" stats which need to be removed to see the true value...because you probably have +10 of so of any given stats that inflates your values that need to be taken into account.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
You could be describing Breath of the Wild here.

Everyone always brings up BotW. It's pretty funny how insecurities are showing.

Difference between the two is "see that mountain? You can go there."

The sense of discovery you feel in zelda as you walk walk walk, is unlike any other videogame for me.

Zelda's world is a masterclass in gamelplay design. Uncharted's world is boring, restricted and doesn't have 1/10 of the interactive elements Zelda does. Zelda's more like walk walk walk, ride a horse, spot some bokoblins on your horse, jump off horse in slow motion, shoot bomb arrow, use updraft to start my ascent up a mountain, climb clim climb, get up to the top of a mountain, spot a shrine, glide down to shrine. Huge difference in my opinion.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People aren't robots. Of course there's always going to be some sort of influence on how they perceive things. If you want objective reviews, Jim Sterling has you covered.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
It'd be nice to know how well. Stuff like Tyr's and the Travelers set just look really bad stat wise.

Tyrs set will suffice for most for most of the story and the luck stat bonus will give you loads and loads of extra xp and hacksilver, I think.

If you ask me, the best through the game is just Tyrs set or whatever you feel like until you can go to Niflheim, then get the deadly mist set. Either partially upgrade it or grind Niflheim and Muspelheim until you can max it out.
You'll be pretty low on cooldown, though, so you might want to get the Valkyrie set, but once you got that there isn't anything challenging left in the game anyways, but its nice to look at regardless.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tyrs set will suffice for most for most of the story and the luck stat bonus will give you loads and loads of extra xp and hacksilver, I think.

If you ask me, the best through the game is just Tyrs set or whatever you feel like until you can go to Niflheim, then get the deadly mist set. Either partially upgrade it or grind Niflheim and Muspelheim until you can max it out.
You'll be pretty low on cooldown, though, so you might want to get the Valkyrie set, but once you got that there isn't anything challenging left in the game anyways, but its nice to look at regardless.
I've only crafted one thing, and it's from the soul eaters set. The other two parts would have been great at the time, but by the time I had enough for them, I had found far better things to wear in the world itself, and that's kind of how every set is for me.

Gurish

Banned
Mar 20, 2018
If your MAX gear is 5 and the gear you find is 5 even if you see a "downgrade" that lvl 5 ungraded can potentially be lvl 7..of-coarse it's much better... also the enchantments sockets are also part of the your "high/lower" stats which need to be removed to see the true value...because you probably have +10 of so of any given stats that inflates your values that need to be taken into account.

Thanks for the tips. Is there any way to know just how far can a new armor be upgraded?

Don't want to craft one only to find out it's close to max.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I've only crafted one thing, and it's from the soul eaters set. The other two parts would have been great at the time, but by the time I had enough for them, I had found far better things to wear in the world itself, and that's kind of how every set is for me.

Yeah, same for me. I just wore whatever I had until I git to Muspelheim, but even the Muspelheim sets I didn't really upgrade. The NIflheim set was the first I fully upgraded.
Maybe the earlier sets become more relevant when playing on the highest difficulty.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone always brings up BotW. It's pretty funny how insecurities are showing.

Difference between the two is "see that mountain? You can go there."

The sense of discovery you feel in zelda as you walk walk walk, is unlike any other videogame for me.

Zelda's world is a masterclass in gamelplay design. Uncharted's world is boring, restricted and doesn't have 1/10 of the interactive elements Zelda does. Zelda's more like walk walk walk, ride a horse, spot some bokoblins on your horse, jump off horse in slow motion, shoot bomb arrow, use updraft to start my ascent up a mountain, climb clim climb, get up to the top of a mountain, spot a shrine, glide down to shrine. Huge difference in my opinion.

Uncharted's more like walk walk walk, drive a jeep, spot some ruins, latch onto a tree, swing into a group of enemies in slow motion, shoot a barrel, slide down a hill, jump onto an enemy, start my ascent into the ruins, climb climb climb, get to the top, spot some treasure, solve a puzzle. See I can do it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.