• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Both game had big marketing budget plus quality was high as well which not all studios can achieve. Sony first party studios get full backing of Sony for everything. Also Tlou was from creators of Uncharted and Naughty Dog is as big Rockstar in popularity now

Gow success doesn't change the fact that SP games are risky and not guaranteed success even if they're good.

Most Bethesda SP games get no love from audience. Wolfenstien and Dishonored games perfect example.

Both those games are in a genre that is oversaturated. FPS games are a dime a dozen.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know. But if the legs are that great among all channels and regions, why doesn't Sony come up a 5 million fist 2 weeks PR?

That is a more impressive number and statement.
So yeah it's not official, even tho possible or even very likely.

Uhm no, 3 mil in 3 days make it sounds like 1mil/day, which is nuts. Meanwhile, 5 million in 2 weeks doesn't sound that impressive tbh.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Awesome and well deserved! God of Sales, etc.

Should hit 10m lifetime ala Uncharted 4 with this start.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Nice
HighlevelBlackAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif
What is this magic computer devilry?!

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It must feel so good to be vindicated commercially and critically

Congrats to SMS

I feel like I'm almost at the end of the main story and I don't want it to end

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm no, 3 mil in 3 days make it sounds like 1mil/day, which is nuts. Meanwhile, 5 million in 2 weeks doesn't sound that impressive tbh.
Okay maybe i spoke as a person who knows about sales and not a usual person.
But still; a bigger number is generally better.

Especially if you compare them to HZD or UC4.
If God of War already sold 5 or close to 5 million in just the fist 2 weeks, while the others only made 3.x million is impressive...

But yeah Sony can choose the timeframe they want.

Lol you mean 3 days. Thats not close to a week :-)
No i mean first week sales.
No matter if the first week is just 3 days or 5 days.
That's why i said short first week...

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is incredible! So happy for SSM.

What makes is even better is that in the two regions where we know solid numbers, that is UK and Japan have had very soft drops during second week.

Also I think the biggest thing for Sony is that they hitting it big with their franchises now, they starting to hang with the big boys. Horizon, GOW and UC4 will all pass 10 million lifetime. TLOU2 is another guarantee.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Okay maybe i spoke as a person who knows about sales and not a usual person.
But still; a bigger number is generally better.

Especially if you compare them to HZD or UC4.
If God of War already sold 5 or close to 5 million in just the fist 2 weeks, while the others only made 3.x million is impressive...

But yeah Sony can choose the timeframe they want.
Maybe they just don't have all that information yet. Or are still gathering it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Even if you're an outlier not feeling it, you really can not deny the quality of work here.

I think they should also be commended for not having a cash grab like so many other games of today. No MX's, no loot boxes, just $60 for a long ass game. Even if they drop DLC, they've actually put together a product well worth what was paid.
Remember that thread with the blurry screen shot and someone thought the money in that shot meant MTX?

That was a funny thread.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Massive congrats to corybarlog, Santa Monica and Sony. One of the best games this generation and deserves all the sales and success it gets.

Really hope they decide to do a nice big expansion like Witcher 3 or Horizon, while we wait for the sequel.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deserves it 100%, they really didn't cut short on any corners and never lost the secret sauce of what makes God Of War with the new mix

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this, I don't know how there was a guy claiming Spider-man was going to do 3M at best, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
So you guys still think that Spider-Man is going to outsell GoW?

I'd say it still has a shot, depending on reviews and marketing. If it scores above 90 Metacritic it will be huge because Spidey is one of the most recognisable pop-culture characters in the world and Sony are obviously going to put tons of marketing behind it.

some missing context. Zelda was basically a 100% attach rate, and Mario's attach rate is well above God of War. if there were +70M Switch units in the wild Mario would have sold a lot more than 2M in 3 days.

Install base isn't a useful metric for looking at potential exclusive sales though. Gran Turismo 5 sold more than twice the number of GT6 despite coming out well over 3 years earlier, Zelda BotW has sold more than Horizon Zero Dawn despite launching primarily on a brand new platform vs one which, at the time, had sold 60 million units. Halo 3 sold more than Reach or Halo 4 despite those games launching to much larger install bases. And so on. I'm sure there are countless examples showing that install base is only a minor factor in an exclusive game's sales potential.