• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Not gonna lie, I didn't enjoy the game as much as I'd hoped. My biggest problem was the level design I think, the worlds were nothing but arenas with enemies here and there, it didn't feel coherent to me, not to mention the countless number of invisible walls.. Visually speaking, it looks awesome in closed area, but gosh is this game blurry when the areas open (and I played on a 4K screen with a PS4 pro). I liked the game overall, it was a good experience, but not a great one. I'm looking forward to the sequel though.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
GoW has amazing gameplay. Just moving around is smooth as heck wheras Soulsborne games suffer incredibly from the poor framepacing issues.
The axe throw is one of the most satisfying gameplay mechanics ever in a game and i think everybody agrees with that.
Combat is precise, varied, challenging, impactful and great fun since Atreus, the Blades and bare hand combat create a mix that keeps things interesting.
Exploration is rewarded big time and the puzzles are simple yet fun and they don't interrupt unecessarily the gamplay flow.
The boat sections are fun too, narrative and exploration elements keep them interesting.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
GoW has amazing gameplay. Just moving around is smooth as heck wheras Soulsborne games suffer incredibly from the poor framepacing issues.
The axe throw is one of the most satisfying gameplay mechanics ever in a game and i think everybody agrees with that.
Combat is precise, varied, challenging, impactful and great fun since Atreus, the Blades and bare hand combat create a mix that keeps things interesting.
Exploration is rewarded big time and the puzzles are simple yet fun and they don't interrupt unecessarily the gamplay flow.
The boat sections are fun too, narrative and exploration elements keep them interesting.

GoW plays pretty damn good, but comparing it to From Soft games... that doesn't hold up for me I'm afraid. Exploration is not as rewarding either, it's not that you discover a whole 'hidden' region, more like a little side path with a treasure chest and when you did it sometimes was inhabited by enemies you just could not kill at your current level.

It was a good game (especially the gameplay for a non-Japanese one), but there were some flaws in the design as well that annoyed me.

The only From Soft game I had issues with the framepacing was Bloodborne and they patched that later where it felt a bit better (not great still, though, I must admit). On a graphics technical level SSM is so way ahead of From Software; their game looks 10x better and runs pretty smooth at the same time on PS4.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
GoW plays pretty damn good, but comparing it to From Soft games... that doesn't hold up for me I'm afraid. Exploration is not as rewarding either, it's not that you discover a whole 'hidden' region, more like a little side path with a treasure chest and when you did it sometimes was inhabited by enemies you just could not kill at your current level.

It was a good game (especially the gameplay for a non-Japanese one), but there were some flaws in the design as well that annoyed me.

The only From Soft game I had issues with the framepacing was Bloodborne and they patched that later where it felt a bit better (not great still, though, I must admit). On a graphics technical level SSM is so way ahead of From Software; their game looks 10x better and runs pretty smooth at the same time on PS4.
There is plenty to miss in GoW. Alone the Valkires being optional is huge imo. There are a lot of areas you are not going to see if you only follow the critical path. GoW is a metroidvania style constructed game and exploration is very well rewarded since you need stronger gear to tackle the challenges the game throws at you, especially at higher difficulties.
In terms of content it is a feature complete game: the Endgame offerings are great which provide plenty of additional challenge and new game plus also seems very well made according to people who played it.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
As a diehard fan of the series since 2005, that video felt emotional to watch. Can't imagine how hard it must've been for the developers breaking their heads every day/night trying to figure out how to reinvent the franchise without alienating it's core fanbase. Sony Santa Monica, thank you for creating this absolute masterpiece of a game. Can't wait for April 20th to resume the second playthrough on the hardest difficulty!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sometimes you gotta let the past stays behind.

I mean if its a dead IP sure, but those games were some of the highest selling of their time, and very great games, which directly lead to this title. To begin with, Santa monica already invalidated that by putting GOW3 on current gen instead of just starting fresh.

I dont care about ascension, just give me a God of war HD and Oirigins Collection

Oct 30, 2017
No, THANK YOU for for making one of the best games of all time... a masterpiece classic, an unforgettable journey that will be remembered for years and years to come.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who was absolutely done with the franchise and fatigued on its combat which largely remained since the original this new direction was the best possible place to take it. And after playing I have to say im ready to play another trilogy and see where it takes Kratos. SSM did one of the best franchise revivals since RE4, thank you for taking a risk that actually payed off.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
God of War 3 is one of my favorite games of all time so I was very skeptical about this one. It turned out amazing though and was the best non-VR experience of this generation for me.

Now that they already have such a strong core, they can spend more dev time on enemy types, boss fights, amazing set pieces etc.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
There is plenty to miss in GoW. Alone the Valkires being optional is huge imo. There are a lot of areas you are not going to see if you only follow the critical path. GoW is a metroidvania style constructed game and exploration is very well rewarded since you need stronger gear to tackle the challenges the game throws at you, especially at higher difficulties.
In terms of content it is a feature complete game: the Endgame offerings are great which provide plenty of additional challenge and new game plus also seems very well made according to people who played it.

The endgame stuff and the whole looting/gear felt a bit tacked on to me, not like it's part of the greater game design, more of a producers feedback note in the last stage of game development.

In From Software's games you can miss entire optional area's including unique enemies and bosses, that does not compare to what GoW does. The most you can miss is a couple of boss/treasure rooms and the bosses all feel and look kind of the same too. It's not bad or anything, just not compareable if you ask me.

Nov 7, 2017
Its striking new direction absolutely paid-off in the end. It pretty much revitalized the franchise and I'm eager to see what they'll do with the next one in terms of improving the new presentation.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The endgame stuff and the whole looting/gear felt a bit tacked on to me, not like it's part of the greater game design, more of a producers feedback note in the last stage of game development.

In From Software's games you can miss entire optional area's including unique enemies and bosses, that does not compare to what GoW does. The most you can miss is a couple of boss/treasure rooms and the bosses all feel and look kind of the same too. It's not bad or anything, just not compareable if you ask me.
I fundamentally agree. Cainhurst in BB or the Archdragons Peak in DS3 are some of the best areas in a From game and they are entirely optional, so yes From games are pretty unique when it comes to that.

The RPG stuff in GoW felt pretty good to be honest. To me it incentivates exploration to a good degree.
In a Soulsborne game it basically comes down on how many souls you are able to retain to level up.

Last edited:

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
GotG for me. The controls are absolutely perfect and I can't wait to see how much further they can push the RPG customisation aspect in their next game

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Im planning to make a detailed post once Im done with the game but about 6 hours in now and I cannot for the life of me understand the praise this game gets.

I went in expecting the very best, specially after all the critical acclaim and GOTY awards, but so far im finding the game-play mediocre at best. Even when I personally dont like a highly regarded game, I can still understand the appeal and praise it gets... but not this time, I am in complete shock at what I have played so far, really poor. All i could think of while playing is "this cant be real, this cant be the same game everyone is talking about, there must be a mistake", like Im in some alternate universe or something.

I am hoping the game magically does a 180 soon as I am not far in, but I cant see how my opinion can change much. It's absolutely gorgeous and a technical marvel, but I dont think that can save it.

I'll reserve my final judgement until im done.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Visually speaking, it looks awesome in closed area, but gosh is this game blurry when the areas open (and I played on a 4K screen with a PS4 pro).

The resolution/image quality does not drop in more open environments. It's steady 1080p on PS4 or steady 2160p checkerboard on PS4 Pro. You must be referring to the depth of field blur that is applied on the bridge of Tyr's temple. That's a deliberate, artistic choice and the only location in the entire game where that happens

score01

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who didn't care much for the original entries in the series the new GOW has firmly put it on the map for me. Can't wait for the next one.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Nobody's morally wounded, it was just such a misplaced comment that some people found it funny or absurd.

Have you actually played the game? Even open world games have point to point missions or set objectives for campaign progress. ND's latest games are among the least linear non open world TPS/FPS out there. Hell, there are open world games out there that have certain combat engagement missions take place in areas or arenas that aren't even as large or as layered as some of those in UC4/TLL. Calling them hyper linear is ridiculous. Hyper linear should be reserved for describing games such as The Order 1886, not this...

giphy-3.gif

UC4_SP_01_GIF.gif

AUuLtyK.gif

UC4_SP_03_GIF.gif

752-88358c0d0a054a5923b482efd19765e2.gif

f59Unchartedtrade4AThie.jpg

4f5Unchartedtrade4AThie.jpg

64dUnchartedtrade4AThie.jpg

Thanks nib, now I want to play U4 again.

Oct 31, 2017

Exploration in GOW is extremely rewarding.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I enjoyed it so much, but it was a good game overall... always nice to hear a thank you for support.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
The resolution/image quality does not drop in more open environments. It's steady 1080p on PS4 or steady 2160p checkerboard on PS4 Pro. You must be referring to the depth of field blur that is applied on the bridge of Tyr's temple. That's a deliberate, artistic choice and the only location in the entire game where that happens

Sorry but the game is blurry as hell on the lake of the nine. The world serpent is blurry, so are all the mountains in the background. It is clearly a limitation of the hardware, not an artistic choice.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but the game is blurry as hell on the lake of the nine. The world serpent is blurry, so are all the mountains in the background. It is clearly a limitation of the hardware, not an artistic choice.

So I was right, you meant the bridge of Tyr's temple, but claimed it was a problem in general. It is deliberate and not a limitation, because this blur effect is actually pretty taxing. Once you are off the bridge the effect is gone as well. You can explore the entire huge Lake of Nine in perfectly crisp and clean IQ.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

I agree with most of your points. It's really a gem that has only grown on me.

The art direction is outstanding too.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
What, Corey too Hollywood now to make an appearance? 😋

Really love how they included the YaBoyRoshi video in there, that killed me first time I saw it.

I know you are joking about the Corey appearance bit BUT I have to say I was actually extremely happy he didn't show up in this video. I loved how they focused on other members of the team and let them have a moment. SUch an amazing talented and passionate group of people, I loved hearing them talk about their perceptions of fan reactions. Beautiful video.

GOTG

Sigma

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful game, haven't gotten chills from a game in a long time but this did it for me.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Im planning to make a detailed post once Im done with the game but about 6 hours in now and I cannot for the life of me understand the praise this game gets.

I went in expecting the very best, specially after all the critical acclaim and GOTY awards, but so far im finding the game-play mediocre at best. Even when I personally dont like a highly regarded game, I can still understand the appeal and praise it gets... but not this time, I am in complete shock at what I have played so far, really poor. All i could think of while playing is "this cant be real, this cant be the same game everyone is talking about, there must be a mistake", like Im in some alternate universe or something.

I am hoping the game magically does a 180 soon as I am not far in, but I cant see how my opinion can change much. It's absolutely gorgeous and a technical marvel, but I dont think that can save it.

Well, time to travel around the world looking for answers.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried when it was first announced, but I'm glad it turned out as good as it did.

Nov 30, 2017

Pretty much everytime a game is hyped to be the best thing ever i always end up disappointed because i go in with the highest of standards.

Hopefully it tirns around for you though. It sounds like you are in the early stages of the game though.

Halfway through is when it started hitting me. I also didnt have any expectations thiugh except for seeing all the 10s it was getting.

By the end it was one of the best games ive ever played. I cant wait to see whats next.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
One of my favorite games this generation. You can tell that both the developers and the players are so passionate about GoW. I remember seeing the Lego set featured in the video on Twitter and just being amazed at how cool it is.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the team and their thoughts from fan's feedback and all the love they put into their game. Its touching.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if its a dead IP sure, but those games were some of the highest selling of their time, and very great games, which directly lead to this title. To begin with, Santa monica already invalidated that by putting GOW3 on current gen instead of just starting fresh.

I dont care about ascension, just give me a God of war HD and Oirigins Collection

God of War III Remastered happened before Sony's policy change. HD Collection and Origins Collection won't be released now unless the nudity and sex mini-games were edited and removed, which is probably more effort than they care to deal with. Games have grown since those titles, it's time to move on.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Are there any articles that go over the technical aspects of the game? For example, how many more polygons make up Kratos' character model compared to his model in previous entries?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt this only in regards specifically to loli type characters? Or am i getting that wrong. I dont really get how banning sexual content in general is acceptable compared to censoring problematic sexualization of minors, which is super valid
It's foggy because the restrictions are not clear (Sony needs to just come out and say what is allowed and what isn't). But from my understanding it is in regards to what you mentioned (outside of the DMC5 lens flare that was then patched out).

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's foggy because the restrictions are not clear (Sony needs to just come out and say what is allowed and what isn't). But from my understanding it is in regards to what you mentioned (outside of the DMC5 lens flare that was then patched out).

that's the issue i had when they started censoring stuff, i need them to have clear boundaries and rules. do devs even know what's allowed?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
God of War was a great game and I am really thankful for all the developers that contributed to making this game a reality! Y'all great people and I hope life treats ya well!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression it was all sex and nudity, not just underage gross ass shit. Has that been clarified?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
To celebrate the 1 year anniversary during this week, new PSN avatars are live and free for all