• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Detroit: When it's not being cheesy and badly written, its being appropriative of the actual civil rights movement and acting like they came up with it on their own

BeSt StOrY

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Its STILl winning awards?? lol Amazing game.

I'm impressed overall with the nominations in every category except the trending game.

That category stands out so poorly I hope they rethink what it should be and what should get nominated.

For better or worse a game like fo76 was trending way more than half that list.

I agree. The Excellence in Gameplay nominees is an interesting list. For who is and isnt on it, lol.

Spider-Man even grabbing some more awards....Sony have made so many good moves this gen its unbelievable.

Glad to see No Man's Sky and Hello Games got recognition for the massive amount of support they provided.

Yes, divisive situation but I agree. Its one game I remember in recent memory that actually got me to jump in after a rocky start. Drive Club is another.
How was Fortnite not even nominated for trending game?

Seriously. Ppl still think some dances originated from Fortnite. How is that not trending?

Last edited:

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to see CrossCode getting any amount of recognition - the more exposure for such an excellent game (and GotY 2018) the better!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I like this. Thoughtful categories, a lot of great nominees, and it's refreshing to see a GOTY thing that takes place in March as opposed to November/December.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Happy to see CrossCode win.

Also lol at the trending award.

God of War 2 is going to be ridiculous.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Glad to see Detroit win for Narrative, it was an amazing game. The way the story and characters reacted to what you did and allt he things that could change. One of my favorite games of the year next to GoW.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Remember when people were saying that RDR2 is going to sweep all awards?

Well RIP that.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, but SSBU getting best gameplay given what it went up against baffles me a bit.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I knew there would be people here with complaints about Detroit winning Best Narrative.
I disagree with most of them including GOW (especially for best gameplay nomination, how was that listed but MHW not a nominee there? what?) and the board game award as well XD Happens at every award listing for me though, it's expected.

OP
OP
Mercenary09

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people said the honeymoon for RDR 2 is gonna end soon? And the legs will be short
I mean I'd say the honeymoon is long over given how the highest rated game of this gen is getting looked over in so many places. The legs were never going to go away as it's a Rockstar game but it isn't doing as well as some expected. The thing is getting discounted all the time and has been slipping on sales charts. It's pretty bad when a almost 6 year old GTA5 is outselling it all the time.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite for best player to player interaction over Smash Bros? You spend like 98% of the match hiding from everyone else and the other 2% building like like you're on meth and never actually interact with other players at all.
Do you play Fortnite solo? It is a highly social game. The huge downtime after the first 3 minutes lends itself strongly to social interactions.

I play solo myself but I also keep team chat on so I can observe this. That said I'm not thrilled with Fortnite winning either especially because Apex Legends balances the needs of having tight gameplay while still offering room for social interactions. They could've snubbed it for a better Battle Royal.

OP
OP
Mercenary09

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you play Fortnite solo? It is a highly social game. The huge downtime after the first 3 minutes lends itself strongly to social interactions.

I play solo myself but I also keep team chat on so I can observe this. That said I'm not thrilled with Fortnite winning either especially because Apex Legends balances the needs of having tight gameplay while still offering room for social interactions. They could've snubbed it for a better Battle Royal.
These are 2018 awards so how exactly should Fortnite have been snubbed in favor of a game that just launched last month?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also cue the usual suspects saying this award show isn't credible because they didn't nominate RDR2 for Best Story.
Detroit already made that category worthless.

These awards actually do seem pretty bad considering the choices. They didnt even nominate fortnite for trending game of the year. More people spent more time watching RDR2 gameplay? Really?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I'd say the honeymoon is long over given how the highest rated game of this gen is getting looked over in so many places. The legs were never going to go away as it's a Rockstar game but it isn't doing as well as some expected. The thing is getting discounted all the time and has been slipping on sales charts. It's pretty bad when a almost 6 year old GTA5 is outselling it all the time.
What places are those? Also 6 year old is outselling lots of titles from 2018, it's not a barometer for anything except gta itself.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously you've never played Fortnite.

I played it enough when it launched on Switch and every now and then still, but yeah mostly solo, or in random squads without voice chat.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for GoW. It really was the best game of last year and deserves all its accolades.

Yeah, I think about that too.

The first game is the one of the most awarded games of all time and it is Sony's second fastest selling game in their entire history since entering the video game market. It is arguably the best game on PS4 and some consider it a masterpiece.

That is a ridiculous amount of success to follow up. Anything less than another GotY/GotG quality game may be seen as a disappointment to some. As for the sales, fortunately, the next game won't have to break records to do well. So, even if it is under the 3M in 3 days stat, it would still make a ton of money with even remotely close commercial success.

I think SSM can get it done though. They'll have the PS5 to help realize their ambitions (more of them compared to PS4 anyway) and do things they weren't able to do on PS4. This should help set the game apart from the first one, and I think the rest just falls under skill, budget, time, etc...

At least they aren't From and have to follow up the actual best game ever released on a Playstaion platform and a top 3 game of all time in Bloodborne when they finally get around to a sequel.