• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellence in SFX

Awarded to the game with the most outstanding and impactful sound effects.

Battlefield V – EA DICE / Electronic Arts
Forza Horizon 4 – Playground Games / Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios
God of War – Sony Santa Monica / SIE
Red Dead Redemption 2 – Rockstar Games (Winner)
Tetris Effect
– Resonair / Monstars Inc. / Enhance, Inc.

Excellence in Art

Awarded to the game with the most expressive and creative artistic style.

GRIS – Nomada Studio / Devolver Digital
Marvel's Spider-Man – Insomniac Games / SIE
Octopath Traveler – Square Enix / Acquire / Nintendo (Winner)
Return of the Obra Dinn
– 3909 LLC
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc. / Sora Ltd. / Nintendo

Excellence in Animation

Awarded to the game with the most outstanding animations.

Detroit: Become Human – Quantic Dream / SIE
Dragon Ball FighterZ – Arc System Works Co., Ltd. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America, Inc.
Marvel's Spider-Man – Insomniac Games / SIE (Winner)
Red Dead Redemption 2
– Rockstar Games

Excellence in Gameplay

Awarded to the game with the best gameplay mechanics.

Beat Saber – Beat Games
Dead Cells – Motion Twin
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc. / Sora Ltd. / Nintendo (Winner)

Excellence in Technical Achievement

Awarded to the game that pushed the capabilities of technology and programming.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission – ASOBI / SIE

Excellence in Multiplayer

Awarded to the game with the best player-to-player interaction experience.

Destiny 2: Forsaken – Bungie
Fortnite – Epic Games (Winner)
Monster Hunter: World
– Capcom
Overcooked 2 – Ghost Town Games / Team17

Excellence in Narrative

Awarded to the game with the best storyline and dialogue.

Celeste – Matt Makes Games
Detroit: Become Human – Quantic Dream / SIE (Winner)
Florence
– Mountains / Annapurna Interactive

Excellence in Visual Achievement

Awarded to the game with the most well-designed and stunning visuals.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey – Ubisoft Québec / Ubisoft
God of War – Sony Santa Monica / SIE (Winner)
GRIS
– Nomada Studio / Devolver Digital
Red Dead Redemption 2 – Rockstar Games

Excellence in Convergence

Awarded to the game that excels in crossover to other entertainment mediums such as film, music, toys, animation, sports and more.

Dragon Ball FighterZ – Arc System Works Co., Ltd. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America, Inc.
EA SPORTS FIFA 19 – Electronic Arts
Jurassic World Evolution – Frontier Developments
Marvel's Spider-Man – Insomniac Games / SIE (Winner)
Star Trek Fleet Command
– DIGIT Game Studio / Scopely

Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation Award

Awarded to the game that best challenges the "norm" of everyday gaming and offers a culturally innovative view of a game world, character, or gameplay.

11-11: Memories Retold – Digixart / Aardman Animations / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
Celeste – Matt Makes Games (Winner)
Monster Prom
– Beautiful Glitch / Those Awesome Guys
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit – Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine – Johnnemann Nordhagen / Good Shepherd Entertainment

Excellence in Musical Score

Awarded to the game that best exemplifies artistic excellence in musical score and how it progresses the narrative of the game.

Octopath Traveler – Square Enix / Acquire / Nintendo
Tetris Effect – Resonair / Monstars Inc. / Enhance, Inc. (Winner)

Excellence in Design

Awarded to the game with the best overall design concept and best execution.

Donut County – Ben Esposito / Annapurna Interactive
Into the Breach
– Subset Games
Return of the Obra Dinn – 3909 LLC

Most Promising New Intellectual Property

Awarded to a new property that risked creating something fresh and that excelled within its genre or category for the year.

Ashen – A44 / Annapurna Interactive
Beat Saber – Beat Games (Winner)
Dead Cells
– Motion Twin
Octopath Traveler – Square Enix / Acquire / Nintendo

Most Evolved Game

Awarded to the game that was enhanced with the best additional content after its original release.

Destiny 2: Forsaken – Bungie
Fortnite – Epic Games
No Man's Sky NEXT – Hello Games (Winner)
Overwatch
– Blizzard
Pokémon Go – Niantic / The Pokémon Company

Most Promising New Esports Game

Awarded to the online game that has the best competitive scene, or potential to grow one, and most entertainment value.

NBA 2K19 – NBA 2K League
Fortnite – Epic Games (Winner)
GWENT: The Witcher Card Game
– CD Projekt Red / CD Projekt
SOULCALIBUR VI – BANDAI NAMCO Studios / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc.

Most Fulfilling Community-Funded Game

Awarded to the game that was primarily produced via crowdfunding platforms and had excelled beyond the expectations set before it.

CrossCode – Radical Fish Games / Deck13 Interactive GmbH (Winner)
Monster Prom
– Beautiful Glitch / Those Awesome Guys
Moonlighter – Digital Sun / 11 bit studios
Root – Leder Games
Wandersong – Greg Lobanov / Humble Bundle

Trending Game of the Year

Awarded to the game that consistently entertained and kept us watching on social platforms with its humor, stories, and more.

Beat Saber – Beat Games
Monster Hunter: World – Capcom

VR Game of the Year

Awarded to the VR game that exemplifies overall excellence in gameplay and design across any VR platform.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission – ASOBI / SIE
Beat Saber – Beat Games (Winner)
Moss
– Polyarc Games
Sprint Vector – Survios, Inc.
Tetris Effect – Resonair / Monstars Inc. / Enhance, Inc.

Tabletop Game of the Year

Awarded to the game that exemplifies overall excellence and ingenuity of any tabletop game in any genre.

Brass: Birmingham – Roxley Game Laboratory
Everdell – Starling Games
Keyforge: Call of the Archons – Fantasy Flight Games
Root – Leder Games (Winner)
Western Legends
– Kolossal Games

Mobile Game of the Year

Awarded to the game that exemplifies overall excellence and creates a unique gaming experience on any handheld device.

Alto's Odyssey – Team Alto
Donut County – Ben Esposito / Annapurna Interactive (Winner)
Florence
– Mountains / Annapurna Interactive
Fortnite – Epic Games
Marvel Strike Force – FoxNext Games LA / FoxNext

Video Game of the Year

Awarded to the game that exemplifies overall excellence and creates a distinct gaming experience across all platforms and genres.

Marvel's Spider-Man
– Insomniac Games / SIE

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see No Man's Sky and Hello Games got recognition for the massive amount of support they provided.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Excellence in Narrative is Detroit?

... Uh...

Excuse me?

Don't get me wrong, I felt as though Detroit was Cage's best work, but even his "best work" has as much subtilty as a wrecking ball smacking a bull in a china shop.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love how alot of outlets and ppl on forums keep pissing in David Cage writting, and he keeps getting awards for best Story and Writting :D Congrats to Quantic Dream team.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is sxsw. what goes on for weeks and has game of the year awards, a sonic conference, and presidential candidate interviews?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Great job SSM and all other winners.

That said, given GoW has become an 800+ lbs gorilla in terms of awards, how much undue pressure does this put the dev team under for their next project courtesy of perhaps an insurmountable amount of expectations or its perception.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats to RadicalFish for the the CrossCode win! Well-deserved.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The Matthew Crump Award is so nice to see. He was a childhood friend of mine. He passed away 5 years ago this month. He was only 39.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Man, GOW just destroyed everything in 2018, lol.

GOW2 is gonna be gigantic in terms of sales, isn;'t it?

That said, given GoW has become an 800+ lbs gorilla in terms of awards, how much undue pressure does this put the dev team under for their next project courtesy of perhaps an insurmountable amount of expectations or its perception.

Thye really have to outdo themselevs to surpass this GOW with GOW2 in terms of success which isn't a given task at all. This is a much bigger challenge than the risk they took by rethinking the series. They really need to invest much more in every aspect for the sequel and never reserve any effort to reach a higher summit.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I think about that too.

The first game is the one of the most awarded games of all time and it is Sony's second fastest selling game in their entire history since entering the video game market. It is arguably the best game on PS4 and some consider it a masterpiece.

That is a ridiculous amount of success to follow up. Anything less than another GotY/GotG quality game may be seen as a disappointment to some. As for the sales, fortunately, the next game won't have to break records to do well. So, even if it is under the 3M in 3 days stat, it would still make a ton of money with even remotely close commercial success.

I think SSM can get it done though. They'll have the PS5 to help realize their ambitions (more of them compared to PS4 anyway) and do things they weren't able to do on PS4. This should help set the game apart from the first one, and I think the rest just falls under skill, budget, time, etc...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

The first game is the one of the most awarded games of all time and it is Sony's second fastest selling game in their entire history since entering the video game market. It is arguably the best game on PS4 and some consider it a masterpiece.

That is a ridiculous amount of success to follow up. Anything less than another GotY/GotG quality game may be seen as a disappointment to some. As for the sales, fortunately, the next game won't have to break records to do well. So, even if it is under the 3M in 3 days stat, it would still make a ton of money with even remotely close commercial success.

I think SSM can get it done though. They'll have the PS5 to help realize their ambitions (more of them compared to PS4 anyway) and do things they weren't able to do on PS4. This should help set the game apart from the first one, and I think the rest just falls under skill, budget, time, etc...

Well, they really can do it if they really invest much in conceiving the game and then realizing it. There is no secret that they cut some enemies and many bosses in this game to reserve them for sequels. If they manage to make the next GOW as dense and as tense as GOW2 PS2 with enough and varied enemies and bosses, make Thor (the real one) as an iconic boss in gaming history with him being so powerful and threatful with him continually chasing the player throughout the game like Nemesis in RE3 or MR X in RE2 without knowing when he would attack you (his attacks can be procedurally abrupt and happening at any time in the game or when the player is carelessly slothing or not doing certain objectives) in a much bigger scale (why not celeverly crafted open-world this time) then this will not only guarantee it to be a much better GOW game but also a magnum opus.

OP
OP
Mercenary09

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also cue the usual suspects saying this award show isn't credible because they didn't nominate RDR2 for Best Story.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

... Uh...

Excuse me?

Don't get me wrong, I felt as though Detroit was Cage's best work, but even his "best work" has as much subtilty as a wrecking ball smacking a bull in a china shop.
"It's not a racism analogy the Androids just felt like quoting MLK"

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Cory Barlog and God of War!
Detroit is trash though, I wish it wasn't legitimized like this.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit winning best narrative is hilarious, but the rest of the categories (that I have any experience with at least) seem reasonably fair.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

... Uh...

Excuse me?

at least 1/3rds of the narrative was good, so i guess there's that

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm impressed overall with the nominations in every category except the trending game.

That category stands out so poorly I hope they rethink what it should be and what should get nominated.

For better or worse a game like fo76 was trending way more than half that list.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they really can do it if they really invest much in conceiving the game and then realizing it. There is no secret that they cut some enemies and many bosses in this game to reserve them for sequels. If they manage to make the next GOW as dense and as tense as GOW2 PS2 with enough and varied enemies and bosses, make Thor (the real one) as an iconic boss in gaming history with him being so powerful and threatful with him continually chasing the player throughout the game like Nemesis in RE3 or MR X in RE2 without knowing when he would attack you (his attacks can be procedurally abrupt and happening at any time in the game or when the player is carelessly slothing or not doing certain objectives) in a much bigger scale (why not celeverly crafted open-world this time) then this will not only guarantee it to be a much better GOW game but also a magnum opus.
Yeah, even with it being one of the best games I've played this gen, I can still come up with several areas that need to be improved in the sequel.

And then all they have to do is top it all again with God of War 3. :P

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How was Fortnite not even nominated for trending game?

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Astrobot is the first game that made me smile like a dumb kid since Mario 64, it's brilliant and pushes VR forward with it's design decisions. I'm not mad at beatsaber winning though, my wife and I have been hooked on that game for months now after getting psvr

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite for best player to player interaction over Smash Bros? You spend like 98% of the match hiding from everyone else and the other 2% building like like you're on meth and never actually interact with other players at all.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, even with it being one of the best games I've played this gen, I can still come up with several areas that need to be improved in the sequel.

And then all they have to do is top it all again with God of War 3. :P

When the third game has to be about Ragnarok and finishing off Odin and all the Norse elder deities, then you know what to expect for the last opus of this chapter. You can't call a game Ragnarok or be it about it without having to put all your studio into a Ragnarok mode. :p

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno, I honestly feel they could stick 95% with the same formula, and it'd review perfectly fine.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Detroit winning best narrative could be a nod for the sheer amount of branching storylines it has, which is indeed a big feat

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I think Detroit winning best narrative could be a nod for the sheer amount of branching storylines it has, which is indeed a big feat

And just the general presentation/direction of the narrative, which is very good regardless of the instances of fumbled writing and poorly handled themes.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Please enlighten me on Detroit's apparently nuanced and masterfully crafted narrative.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Would have made a few different picks but good list of nominees and winners all-around.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

they'll just ask Naughty Dawg how they did it with TLOU2