• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
RDR2 has stunning word design, graphics, and narrative. But it's gameplay just isn't there. The shooting and movement aren't particularly fun or engaging.

God Of War may not quite reach the technical heights of RDR2 (though it's a technical masterpiece in it's own right), but it has engaging combat and well-done gameplay. It's a full package of a game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God of War is a boring, photorealistic game?

tenor.gif

cliff-schonewill-tyrsvault-mr-18.jpg

aaron-contreras-acontreras-splash-02.jpg

kevin-quinn-cal130-alflight.jpg

erik-jakobsen-lighting-13.jpg

cliff-schonewill-tfvista-02.jpg

stephane-gaudette-rbr-path05.jpg

I have to wonder if some of the posters here have even played the game. God of War actually has more fantastical and artistic visuals than RDR2. If anything it's RDR2 that goes for something closer to outright realism, especially in environments, assets and lighting.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
As much as you disagree, RDR2 is the new standard of video games, nothing beats it in scale, content, attention to details, animations, va performance, writing, dialogue, narrative, world building, interaction, art design, easter eggs/secret, atmosphere etc...

it's not a perfect game whatsoever, its gunplay is really mediocre and its gameplay can feel clunky at times ( didn't have any problem with that, feels like any rockstar game ) RDR2 is a game we'll talks about in the next five or ten years.

There are many games we will be talking about for the next 5 to 10 years. This includes God of War, and other huge profile games.

For me personally TLoU's story impacted me the most out of high profile AAA games that I recall and I've thought about certain moments in that game years after I've been it on grounded. I didn't ever finish GTA V, but I heard the story there disappoints and the controls were still pretty trash. Still need to beat RDR2 and have a long way to go.

Furthermore, you know there's one game that's going to surpass RDR 2 in half of the things you mentioned and it's likely coming out next year or early 2020 (TLoU 2)..

Regardless, GoW is generally seen as the more fun and better playing game for it's genre, which is a important factor in for this award. Gameplay > Everything.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy about this. I'm glad a game that has excellent controls and gameplay mechanics combined with story telling won. Its an absolutley brilliant game and I think far better then RDR2 from a mechanical perspective and that matters with games.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Congrats to SSM, they made something special with this one.

Ultimately though, this was a top tier year for gaming. so many high quality games and whats amazing is that if you have a specific type of game you prefer to play, there was something there for you.
like platformers? try Celeste or Astro bot
like open world? try Farcry 5, Red Dead 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey
like action? try Spiderman or Monster Hunter World
like jrpgs? try Octopath Traverler or DQ11
like fighting games? try DBFZ or soul calibuer 6
like rhythm games? try beat saber or persona dancing
There is just so many great choices...just a superb year!

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all care way too much about this shit.

Congrats to the team, lots of great games this year.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care what games win any awards, I'm just here for the salt and this thread certainly delivered.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I liked it a lot and I'm glad it won over RDR2, just because I feel Rockstar's games get the darling treatment no matter what.

Ya'll win everything, let some other talent shine every now and then.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This wasn't part of the plan. I had faith RDR2 would have won. I insisted it win. But oh, the doubts. I need to find a boat to slip away from all of this.

Oct 31, 2017
Have fun :)

Over two years after launch, you should find a lot of great games beside Astro Bot.
Like Wipeout VR, Beat Saber, Moss, The Persistence, Superhot, REZ Infinite etc....

Well, it also comes with Moss, I d/led Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (though I think that needs Move controllers) and RIGS when they were PS+ games, and I own RE7, so I am set for a little while! =)

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
This is exactly how it should go. You can even argue GOTY and direction to RDR2, but GoW is a great pick as it's the better playing game. But all the technical stuff, nothing is better than RDR2. No story is even close to RDR2. No performance is close to Arthur Morgan.

They got it as right as they could.

Joel is better acted than Arthur Morgan. I like Arthur but outside of that one scene I don't think he is some new benchmark in voice acting.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
So happy for Cory and Sony SMS!! You guys did it!! And congrats to RockStar for take a lot of the awards for the night!!

My personal history with Sony SMS/GoW aside, both are fantastic games that people should play.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Totally deserved, I got a PS4 just for Horizon and god of war (Xbox man here 💁‍♀️). Both great games and a credit to their studios ! Congrats

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Joel is better acted than Arthur Morgan. I like Arthur but outside of that one scene I don't think he is some new benchmark in voice acting.

Does every amazing performance have to be a new benchmark in voice acting? In fact the idea that there is a single voice acting benchmark in and of itself is kind of weird, just as it would be weird to claim that there is a single benchmark acting performance in over 100 years of film. In games, as in movies, we now have tons of amazing performances that excel at different things and have lots of different nuances. There is no one acting benchmark imo.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Does every amazing performance have to be a new benchmark in voice acting? In fact the idea that there is a single voice acting benchmark in and of itself is kind of weird, just as it would be weird to claim that there is a single benchmark acting performance in over 100 years of film. In games, as in movies, we now have tons of amazing performances that excel at different things and have lots of different nuances. There is no one acting benchmark imo.

I never claimed it. I think Miami mentioned no performance comes close to Arthur and I thought Joel was much better acted for example.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 (probably never will) but was Arther really that good of a character? I get the impression that the Performance catagory was robbed but I'm never really going to know.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Oh definitley, I wouldn't consider RDR2 amazingly paced either. I think the entire island segment should have been heavily cut down since it only exists to showcase that these dreamed of tropical islands aren't quite the paradise Dutch was trying to make them out to be. My point was more that it's at least trying to cover a lot ground with a massive cast and typically focusing on some form of plot point.

Sure, it's my second game of the year, not that it didn't deserve the award as well. I'm just confused on how much praise the game got from the press, I mean, how universaly acclaimed is.

For instance, I loved chapter 1 but as the chapter was going forward I thought "man, a lot of people are going to hate this", because I always remember how much people here seems to hate forced walking segments and such things, and chapter 1 is like 2hs of that, insane but I loved it.

My problem with the game were in the middle in terms of engagement, and the gameplay and some design decisions were a bit disappointing (mostly losing because not following the intended path or strict action you have to do most of the time), but overall is a tremendous game that I can't see as less of one of the best of the gen, just that it has some so evident flaws that it boggles me how it got such scores almost from everyone.

I suppose that most of the time these games are assigne to fans so reviewers are more likely to give a favorable score while the rest of the staff maybe would hate them, that's what I think happened here, reviewers loved RDR 2 but their partners didn't (as much at least).

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man; God of War was just a fantastic game that just came and went for me.

The moments in Red Dead 2 are things I still think about even after I finished it more than a month ago.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Good, the gameplay and mechanics of Kratos' weapons was so well done. How will they top it next game? The gravity gun of GOW, so satisfying, so useful.

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to finish it. 5 hours in.

It's the only game I've "played" this year. So can't really judge.

Why is play in quotation marks? What else are you doing to games this year, eating them or something?

Good, the gameplay and mechanics of Kratos' weapons was so well done. How will they top it next game? The gravity gun of GOW, so satisfying, so useful.

Mjolnir would be a start.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought that Gow was perfect until that scene (you know which is). After that, the main quest sinks in gameplay and story. It still is my GOTY, but i still haven't played RDR2 or Spiderman

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Yeah Cory! But, I am extra happy for Shannon Studstill. She has given a lot for this studio. I still remember from behind the scenes of original God of War, how Jaffee asked for an extension and she took the news to Shu and basically put her job on the line because Shu pretty much gave her an ultimatum that the game better be good. She had in fact left the studio at one point, but Shu asked her to come back after brought her back after shipping Allan Becker to Japan. Of course, it hasn't been smooth sailing since then, but this one she and the studio deserved.
Oh, didn't know about that.

I see ya, Shannon.