• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
20-30 hours Is on the fast side, the game gives you zero reasons to rush those chapters and the game would be worst if you did, so no it's not on me, if you are beating RDR2 in 30 hours it's on you.
If you feel the game is worst for rushing it, then don't you(to some degree)think that the lengthier time spent then is for the better? I'll agree its a bit too much, but its also not without merit.
The important part of GoW is Atreus and Kratos relationship and setting up the world, it takes far more the 5 hours to build that, the journey to the highest mountain isn't the games story.
For reference, I'm not saying the entire game should have been cut down to only 5 hours. I'm only talking about cutscenes, characters talking etc. being cut to 5. If that wasn't doable, then we wouldn't have movies.
Also, despite all the characters only Arthur really develops well overtime and is as well written as Kratos and BOY!, but none of them come close to Arthur and it sticks out. Whereas pretty much everyone is well done in GoWs much smaller cast, less likeable characters in GoW? Sure, but they are all pretty much well done (outside of Magni and Modi really).
I wouldn't really say snakey or
Athena
are particurally great. Obviously I don't expect either to be especially social, but she just kind of comes off like fanservice as opposed to an actual character. The dwarves are fine as side, gag characters, but then we're down to just Boy, Kratos, Mimir, Baldur and The Witch. Then further factor in Baldur is gone for most of the game and were left with a really tiny group of characters. I'd agrue Charles, Lenny, Micah and Hosea all belong in this same tier. Which isn't a huge jump in main quality characters, but then you have a million B characters on par with the dwarves.

Which is inherintetly fine, the main point is a Boy and his Kratos, but we really couldn't have gotten anything about Faye beyond she was cool? 2 is clearly going to focus on her more, but she's still relevant enough to the current events that some time should been spent on her. On the other hand you have Alfheim which goes absolutely nowhere. To some degree their hands were tied as a result of content being cut, but if your doing that, also cut out the residual plot setups.

Similiary Boy's god arc didn't really end up mattering since he just ended up being the same after as he was before. A good chunk of it happened while other stuff was as well, but that stuff was Magni and Modi which were kind of filler outside the boss fight. If you take these ,Alfheim and random blatant filler like the elevator not working and do you see where my 5 hour comment comes in?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The indicators were part of the problem. Why not use an auditory cue since you have two characters accompanying you the majority of the time. The entire decision reeks of "we couldn't zoom out the camera and keep visual fidelity" in other words they sacrificed good gameplay for journalist wooing visuals. During juggling enemies stay completely flat with no reasonable animation for reaction, it looks terrible and feels even worse.

Well Boy does actually say "watch out" and other helpful hints as enemies attack and you can turn the indicators off if you want, so.....

Juggling animation is pretty standard stuff, many games do exactly the same, so it's not like God of War is doing anything super lazy in that regard when most games do that too.

For me and many others, it was a non issue and felt and looked fine, it's a nit pick at best really.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 (probably never will) but was Arther really that good of a character? I get the impression that the Performance catagory was robbed but I'm never really going to know.
Christopher Judge wasn't even the best performance in God of War. Sunny Suljic deserves an accolade for his performance as Atreus.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Playing it now and the game is a masterpiece. Well deserved! The change from previous god of war was needed and the developers of this game executed it perfectly. Looking at how halo, gears of war, Mario, and so on has stick to a same formula with little success. They can definitely learn from god of war directors!

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
but .. it .. does ...

including a hype-enducing post-credits style stinger teasing a sequel if you go back to the cabin.

That's my problem. There's so many cliffhangers with the whole prophecy that's introduced to you in the final 5 minutes. I felt like they spent too much time setting up the next games and not delivering on the first.

It's okay to set things off up and craft a world but it felt like I was playing Batman V Superman with how much they teased and never showed. I would rather have a game tell a complete story and then expand on it with the sequel.

Think Toy Story 1-2-3 and not LoTR.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
RDR2 is the game of the generation so I guess GoW getting its single year moment before it is mostly forgotten about is fine. RDR2 on the other hand will influence game development for years in massive ways and doesn't really need a single year award to represent how impactful and masterful it is.

Poor Spidey, not winning anything :(

Okay people need to start saying whether they're being sarcastic or not cause I can't tell anymore.

Edit: also if RDR2 influences gameplay in future games then I might have to change hobbies cause the gameplay in RDR2 was absolute dogshit.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
The indicators were part of the problem. Why not use an auditory cue since you have two characters accompanying you the majority of the time. The entire decision reeks of "we couldn't zoom out the camera and keep visual fidelity" in other words they sacrificed good gameplay for journalist wooing visuals. During juggling enemies stay completely flat with no reasonable animation for reaction, it looks terrible and feels even worse.
Cory himself said he wanted it close but not as close as it was in the game because he thought the combat wouldn't work, yet the combat team themselves zoomed it even further than Cory wanted.

Game works perfectly with the camera and provides tons of cues if you pay attention.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I suppose that most of the time these games are assigne to fans so reviewers are more likely to give a favorable score while the rest of the staff maybe would hate them, that's what I think happened here, reviewers loved RDR 2 but their partners didn't (as much at least).
I think the best point of comparison to another piece of media would be Better Call Saul. I think quality wise its pretty close to Breaking Bad, but I fully understand why some people don't. There's an undeniable removal of the "danger" and intensisty BB had and in a lot of ways, it feels like its just going through the motions. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't even blame somebody for feeling its bad. They're not at all wrong.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is the game of the generation so I guess GoW getting its single year moment before it is mostly forgotten about is fine. RDR2 on the other hand will influence game development for years in massive ways and doesn't really need a single year award to represent how impactful and masterful it is.

ZGJ3Jy3.gif

Nov 8, 2017
100% deserved. It's nice that the best game actually won this time. Not only is it clearly the best game of 2018, it may well be the best game of this generation.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
What a legendary night yesterday was. I still haven't recovered from this.

So fucking happy for Santa Monica, Sony and everyone involved in this 5 year project.

Game of the Year, boy.

HighlevelBlackAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went to bed, woke up the next day and... man it still feels so good. Sony Santa Monica Studio deserved this so damn much!
Canceled AAA game, had to reboot the studio, Sony recommended them to make a new IP, Shannon had to search after a new creative director and got Cory back.....and at the end of 2018: Sony Santa Monica Studio is the Studio of the Year and won one Game of the Year award after another.
A true feel good story. Congrats again, SSM :) You deserves this. The better game won.

ezgif-3-c7c4c501b6880lenq.gif

That win was such a feel good moment in the middle of the night and one of those times where the nominal main event was the actual highlight of the evening.
I could have lived with Red Dead winning as well, but I'm super glad the boldness of the God of War reboot was rewarded.
Yep. It was the perfect happy ending for the show :)

Feb 10, 2018
I really need to finish GOW to see what the fuss is about, I got to past the lake but got pissed off with all the menus and options and have not played it since. The earlier God of wars has about as much weapon and combat customisation and stuff as I can handle.
But if it has won GOTY it must be fucking amazing the rest of it, or it better be, because apart from clumsy controls RDR2s story and everything was fucking amazing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It should have been Celeste!! But well done to SSM. I definitely had a fun time with GoW but I'll repeat myself and say I still prefer GoW 1/2/3.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

I like my chips with salt, but not so much please.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017

Good lord. This reads like satire.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't played neither RDR2 or GoW but reading the amount of issues that RDR2 has in terms of gameplay, I'm just glad that GoW ended up winning instead. Hope this serves as a sort of wake up call to the R* gameplay team so they can get their shit together on their next game with tighter and more intuitive controls.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 (probably never will) but was Arther really that good of a character? I get the impression that the Performance catagory was robbed but I'm never really going to know.
??

Arthur Morgan has some fucking amazing scenes in the last 2 chapters. Both the voice acting and what is shown on screen has so much incredible depth. This was not a category to say was robbed if Arthur's voice won.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to finish GOW to see what the fuss is about, I got to past the lake but got pissed off with all the menus and options and have not played it since. The earlier God of wars has about as much weapon and combat customisation and stuff as I can handle.
But if it has won GOTY it must be fucking amazing the rest of it, or it better be, because apart from clumsy controls RDR2s story and everything was fucking amazing.
You're not alone. I never finished it for the same reason.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I have watched the GOW winning GOTY video more than 10 times lol. Such an amazing moment. So happy for cory and the team. Can't wait for the next masterpiece from him

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Never understood the pacing complaints in GoW. One of the few games I felt like never dragged and had the PERFECT length.

Also the ending was just so perfect and bittersweet. It was an incredible narrative experience, and absolutely my GoTY.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad RDR2 didn't win. It's impressive on a technical level, but I felt everything else was lacking. Story and missions don't get interesting until maybe halfway through the game. Even then, the controls, gameplay and lag suck ass. Arthur takes forever to do what I fucking tell him to do.

fbnaulin

Mar 15, 2018
Congratulations for the winner. God of War defines 2018 with a impressive production and narrative. Its cultural impact this year has been notable.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Great moment and great choice.
Its been another stellar gaming year....
I also love (still loving) RDR2, it's an amazing bar setting game in many, many ways...but GOW did something really special and imo put SSM back on top of the Sony studio throne.....

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Haven't played neither RDR2 or GoW but reading the amount of issues that RDR2 has in terms of gameplay, I'm just glad that GoW ended up winning instead. Hope this serves as a sort of wake up call to the R* gameplay team so they can get their shit together on their next game with tighter and more intuitive controls.

Not gonna happen. They sold a billion copies, so they don't give a shit.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

1340075263465.gif