God of War wins TGA's Game of the Year award!

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Yeah Cory! But, I am extra happy for Shannon Studstill. She has given a lot for this studio. I still remember from behind the scenes of original God of War, how Jaffee asked for an extension and she took the news to Shu and basically put her job on the line because Shu pretty much gave her an ultimatum that the game better be good. She had in fact left the studio at one point, but Shu asked her to come back after brought her back after shipping Allan Becker to Japan. Of course, it hasn't been smooth sailing since then, but this one she and the studio deserved.

Lead

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2, and thought God of War was just okay.

....Can't we just give Breath of the Wild the award this year that it deserved last year and call it a day?
Even in a thread that has nothing to do with it, BotW has to be mentioned.

Oct 26, 2017
What a plot twist.

Didn't expect that after RDR2 getting all that awards like best narrative.
To me RDR2 was at its best during cutscenes with dialogue, it was like a HBO series. The moment the game hands me the reins it falters considerably. Not surprised it won best narrative and best performance, totally deserved those, but man it's not a game I would like to play.

Jan 22, 2018
Best game won. So happy to see this, and would have accepted Spider-Man winning as well. Absolutely wonderful experience, and so happy for Cory and the team.

Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I loved GoW, but yeah, RDR2 for me is an all time classic, probably my favorite game ever. Would have been cool to see it take the top honor but you really can’t go wrong with GoW. Amazing game

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuckin' deserved. Arguably the richest and most well-rounded game I've played this year and easily one of the best of this generation (and certainly, ever). Not my personal GOTY but it is really, really, really close. Red Dead Redemption 2 would also be a worthy winner (as it is a whooper experience) but from all the nominees, it had to be GoW. Believed it would be the winner and here it is. The Best Game Direction was the turning point. From that moment on, the winner was chosen, so as to say.

Congrats, Cory! You deserve it!

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Pretty shocking tbh. Massive upset but I'm not upset. Gow was my gotg until rdr came out and it does have better combat, level design and bosses and even though rdr has a better story, soundtrack and characters, gow comes very close as well.

I think that gow winning the award should help rockstar put more effort into gameplay systems. They learned a lot from losing to tlou in 2013 and gave us arguably the greatest story of all time in a video game so maybe they will learn from gow this time.

That said, I have a feeling gow will be forgotten when gow 2 comes out and does everything better but rdr's accomplishments will live on forever.
We could say the same about Red Dead Redemption 1 you know, maybe RDR 3 will be better than 2?

Jul 21, 2018
Honestly the rewards were handed out correctly , red deads soundtrack and story are incredible but it's gameplay is seriously lacking. God of war is overall just a much better package the story is great soundtrack is epic and the gameplay is tons of fun and fluid unlike red dead . Both games are fantastic as are were all the nominees.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks cool. I should get around to playing it someday. And Spider Man while I'm at it. Congrats to the team though. I remember reading about how hard they worked on it.

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly didn't see this happening with how bad our industry's media is. With recency bias being a thing I thought for sure they'd go with RDR 2 and throughout the night it looked like that was guaranteed to happen.

Anyway I don't care much that GoW specifically won, just that RDR lost. Goty should not go to a game that is downright horrible to actually play.
agreed. red dead has some amazing stuff, actual gameplay isn't one of them.

Oct 27, 2017
This actually gives me hope that GoW will win overall GotY. It’s seems like reviewers are looking past all the spectacle and flash of RDR2 for a truly exciting, fresh take on an old series that was phenomenal.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, RDR2 has a much richer and more deeply written narrative. GoW is wrapped in lore, but the story and dialogue can be rather sparse at times and it's not as intricately woven as RDR2.

The script for RDR2 is an absolute beast and has a lot of incredible character moments etched into it. The dialogue is one of the game's major strengths. So in terms of narrative and performance, overall I'd give it to RDR2, even though I think GoW was deserving of GOTY.
I find it weak, the whole game boils down to setting up the camp at one point, doing some missions until you steal the city closer, the mission is unsuccessful and they have to flee and find a new place, repeat this in all 6 chapters , very predictable from start to finish,the game drags a lot,also chapter 5 is a joke.The writing does not run too far from Rockstar's standard.The game is just much bigger and has more dialogues than other R* games,that is it.

This actually gives me hope that GoW will win overall GotY. It’s seems like reviewers are looking past all the spectacle and flash of RDR2 for a truly exciting, fresh take on an old series that was phenomenal.
IGN is in the bag,like all podcast I saw,God of War is unanimous.I think takes Gamespot too.

lol yeah

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't see this happening with how bad our industry's media is. With recency bias being a thing I thought for sure they'd go with RDR 2 and throughout the night it looked like that was guaranteed to happen.

Anyway I don't care much that GoW specifically won, just that RDR lost. Goty should not go to a game that is downright horrible to actually play.
I was honestly thinking the same, Red Dead would sweep going off the review scores and media hype, I'm glad GOW won not just because I loved the game and it's my personal GOTY but the actual gameplay and more specifically the combat in Red Dead was pretty lackluster, goes from good, to serviceable to even bad at times, never a game I would consider having excellent combat or control over your character, whereas GOW had an amazing combat system that kept me playing and still wanting to play more.
I wouldn't say Red Dead gameplay is horrible as I still get enjoyment from it but yeah, everything else can be great but if one of the major aspects if not the main, the actual gameplay, isn't all too good then it can't be in the conversation for GOTY for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Man, looking at Shannon in this, makes my heart swell up.

After a great year for games, this was personally my GOTY as well. Congratulations to Cory, Shannon, the cast, the audio team, and all of the hard working devs at Sony Santa Monica.
I teared up a bit. :')

Yep, she looked so relieved and genuinely happy for everyone. Great to see, especially knowing how long she has been involved with GOW.