• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am not done with RDR2, so I cannot form a definitive opinion yet until I do, but as I just told my friend via texting back and forth I was no doubt way more excited to keep playing GOW than I am to keep playing RDR2.

I just wanted to keep playing GOW.

RDR2 I have taken several breaks to play other games. I am nowhere near as excited to keep playing it as I was GOW.

Granted there were not a lot of other games to compete to GOW when it was released. I do no doubt acknowledge that was a very big part of things, but I was fucking psyched to keep playing GOW even when it felt like it was getting repetitive.
While I am enjoying my time with RDR2 immensely, I do at times have to "force" myself to continue playing it.

And to clarify, the reason I compare the two games is for my money it was one or the other to be the GOTY.

Congrats to the GOW team. Truly cannot wait to play the next one.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
These are two of my favourite games ever, and it was really hard for me to choose between them. RDR2 has much better narrative, so it deserves that award, and has some amazing music at times to create emotional moments. But God of War has much better gameplay and is more fun to play. Overall I think God of War does, just, deserve to win overall GOTY. Going to be a fun fight to see which wins the most awards.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
So happy for the studio. Well deserved! Was getting nervous with RDR2 sweeping up all the awards!

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Very well deserved. I didn't like any of the previous God of Wars. This reboot was incredible, it's basically the RE4 for this gen.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
between Red Dead Redemption II and God of War, I immensely enjoyed Red Dead Redemption II far more. I couldn't even finish God of War, due to the sameness of the gameplay and the repetitive, palette-swapped bosses

Exact opposite for me. I dropped RDR2 after about 30 hours due to how repetitive it felt, how overly linear the missions were for such an open world game and how much of a shit show the controls were. IMO that game is hugely overrated but I accept that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 got robbed lol
But GoW was in my top 3 and the axe gameplay is pure magic so it was still somewhat deserved imo. Congrats!

( more boss fights and enemy variety in GoW2 please )

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I started newgame+ with GoW the other day and I instantly remembered why I thought it was the best game I'd played in years. I haven't yet played RDR2 admittedly, but I have a very hard time imagining anything being better than GoW this year. It just plays magnificently, particularly in newgame+ with all of your abilities and gear unlocked. Its special.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Yeah Cory! But, I am extra happy for Shannon Studstill. She has given a lot for this studio. I still remember from behind the scenes of original God of War, how Jaffee asked for an extension and she took the news to Shu and basically put her job on the line because Shu pretty much gave her an ultimatum that the game better be good. She had in fact left the studio at one point, but Shu asked her to come back after brought her back after shipping Allan Becker to Japan. Of course, it hasn't been smooth sailing since then, but this one she and the studio deserved.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
What a plot twist.

Didn't expect that after RDR2 getting all that awards like best narrative.

To me RDR2 was at its best during cutscenes with dialogue, it was like a HBO series. The moment the game hands me the reins it falters considerably. Not surprised it won best narrative and best performance, totally deserved those, but man it's not a game I would like to play.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Best game won. So happy to see this, and would have accepted Spider-Man winning as well. Absolutely wonderful experience, and so happy for Cory and the team.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I loved GoW, but yeah, RDR2 for me is an all time classic, probably my favorite game ever. Would have been cool to see it take the top honor but you really can't go wrong with GoW. Amazing game

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved! One of the best games ever made. Easily in my Top 10 games of all time. My personal GOTY is RDR2 though.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Already said it in the TGA thread but I'm super happy for Cory / SSM.
Amazing game, congrats.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
When you go Beast Mode

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy for SSM and Balrog, they so deserve it. And it's proof that a game can win GOTY even against a Rockstar Game.

gargles

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuckin' deserved. Arguably the richest and most well-rounded game I've played this year and easily one of the best of this generation (and certainly, ever). Not my personal GOTY but it is really, really, really close. Red Dead Redemption 2 would also be a worthy winner (as it is a whooper experience) but from all the nominees, it had to be GoW. Believed it would be the winner and here it is. The Best Game Direction was the turning point. From that moment on, the winner was chosen, so as to say.

Congrats, Cory! You deserve it!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Pretty shocking tbh. Massive upset but I'm not upset. Gow was my gotg until rdr came out and it does have better combat, level design and bosses and even though rdr has a better story, soundtrack and characters, gow comes very close as well.

I think that gow winning the award should help rockstar put more effort into gameplay systems. They learned a lot from losing to tlou in 2013 and gave us arguably the greatest story of all time in a video game so maybe they will learn from gow this time.

That said, I have a feeling gow will be forgotten when gow 2 comes out and does everything better but rdr's accomplishments will live on forever.

We could say the same about Red Dead Redemption 1 you know, maybe RDR 3 will be better than 2?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Honestly the rewards were handed out correctly , red deads soundtrack and story are incredible but it's gameplay is seriously lacking. God of war is overall just a much better package the story is great soundtrack is epic and the gameplay is tons of fun and fluid unlike red dead . Both games are fantastic as are were all the nominees.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It looks cool. I should get around to playing it someday. And Spider Man while I'm at it. Congrats to the team though. I remember reading about how hard they worked on it.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly didn't see this happening with how bad our industry's media is. With recency bias being a thing I thought for sure they'd go with RDR 2 and throughout the night it looked like that was guaranteed to happen.

Anyway I don't care much that GoW specifically won, just that RDR lost. Goty should not go to a game that is downright horrible to actually play.

agreed. red dead has some amazing stuff, actual gameplay isn't one of them.

Oct 27, 2017
This actually gives me hope that GoW will win overall GotY. It's seems like reviewers are looking past all the spectacle and flash of RDR2 for a truly exciting, fresh take on an old series that was phenomenal.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, RDR2 has a much richer and more deeply written narrative. GoW is wrapped in lore, but the story and dialogue can be rather sparse at times and it's not as intricately woven as RDR2.

The script for RDR2 is an absolute beast and has a lot of incredible character moments etched into it. The dialogue is one of the game's major strengths. So in terms of narrative and performance, overall I'd give it to RDR2, even though I think GoW was deserving of GOTY.
I find it weak, the whole game boils down to setting up the camp at one point, doing some missions until you steal the city closer, the mission is unsuccessful and they have to flee and find a new place, repeat this in all 6 chapters , very predictable from start to finish,the game drags a lot,also chapter 5 is a joke.The writing does not run too far from Rockstar's standard.The game is just much bigger and has more dialogues than other R* games,that is it.

This actually gives me hope that GoW will win overall GotY. It's seems like reviewers are looking past all the spectacle and flash of RDR2 for a truly exciting, fresh take on an old series that was phenomenal.

IGN is in the bag,like all podcast I saw,God of War is unanimous.I think takes Gamespot too.

lol yeah