• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game really deserves it. My wife and I had just so much fun playing it, every minute was worth to be played.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't hate, i love both games pretty equally for different reasons... God of War was undoubtedly more fun to play though

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't see this happening with how bad our industry's media is. With recency bias being a thing I thought for sure they'd go with RDR 2 and throughout the night it looked like that was guaranteed to happen.

Anyway I don't care much that GoW specifically won, just that RDR lost. Goty should not go to a game that is downright horrible to actually play.
I was honestly thinking the same, Red Dead would sweep going off the review scores and media hype, I'm glad GOW won not just because I loved the game and it's my personal GOTY but the actual gameplay and more specifically the combat in Red Dead was pretty lackluster, goes from good, to serviceable to even bad at times, never a game I would consider having excellent combat or control over your character, whereas GOW had an amazing combat system that kept me playing and still wanting to play more.
I wouldn't say Red Dead gameplay is horrible as I still get enjoyment from it but yeah, everything else can be great but if one of the major aspects if not the main, the actual gameplay, isn't all too good then it can't be in the conversation for GOTY for me.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Man, looking at Shannon in this, makes my heart swell up.

After a great year for games, this was personally my GOTY as well. Congratulations to Cory, Shannon, the cast, the audio team, and all of the hard working devs at Sony Santa Monica.

I teared up a bit. :')

Yep, she looked so relieved and genuinely happy for everyone. Great to see, especially knowing how long she has been involved with GOW.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Fucking incredible game. Right up there as my all time favourite with The Last of Us.

Thank you Sony.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
159.gif
f50.gif

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
havent beat RDR2 yet since blackout is taking all my time, but yeh GOW was by far GOTY, congrats to SSM.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing deserves it more

Can we leave the RDR2 hot takes out of this thread? It's a great game in its own right

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game of the generation won the Game of the Year award. Not surprised.
Congratulations Santa Monica Studio, Shannon and Cory.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Good for them, haven't really gone back into it but it was my GOTY for sure. Fantastic gameplay and a great story imo, was so scared since it was my first GoW game but I wasn't lost at all playing it. Cory was also right about the other games being masterpieces, Spidey and RDR2 are fucking amazing as well; any of them could have won and I wouldn't have had an issue.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Boi! Surprised, but pleasantly surprises. I think RDR2 is a good game its obvious a lot of heart and soul went into creating it. BUT THOSE CONTROLS CAN NOT BE OVERLOOKED. They ruin what could be a joyous experience and make the game a chore to play. They force you to walk way too much in RDR2 and he walks VERY, VERY SLOWLY. The combat is laughably bad, half the time you cant see what youre shooting at so you just allow the auto aim to lock on to something then hail mary it when the icon turns red. The game is a grind due to its clunkiness, the fact that I still say its a good game despite that speaks to how great the other aspects are.

I would have went with Spider-Man over GoW personally, but Im very happy RDR was not rewarded for those controls (that every reviewer chose to ignore when they were handing the game 9s and above).

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Actually GTA 5 won on VGA in 2013

TLOU did won most of the GOTY awards in that year though
The Last of Us was clearly robbed,how they gave best studio to Naughty Dog but GOTY to GTA V?public voting was real time too,and The Last of Us destroyed GTA V,but don't matter,The Last of Us still swept by the end.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is currently my GOTY, and I love it dearly. That said, I have to admit I was pulling for a GoW win. Rockstar just seemed like an unstoppable monster and it's kind of ridiculous that a Sony first party studio was set up to be the underdog in this fight, but I was definitely pulling for the little guy.

I still haven't gotten around to playing GoW yet, but from what I've seen I have no doubt I will love it a whole lot. I'm not sure it's going to top RDR2 for me, but it should be a great experience either way. I did finally get around to buying it from Black Friday but I've just got way too many games and not enough time.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
this is a great moment for this awards ceremony. God of War win legitimises TGA a lot more imho

it would've been very very easy to give it to RDR2 but it looks like some actual thought processing went into making a decision

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Much love to the Sony Santa Monica team, Playstation, and everyone who labored the blood outta their arteries for this game! After all these years... Cory's story alone is the ultimate passion punch-out. *sniff*

THOUGH...

Would've been nice for at least one shoutout to the cast as well on-stage lol..!! xP Saw Sunny and Judge and co. chilling up there..! (The latter with a fruity cool shirt in tow, btw.)

The final product's sturdy dramatic foundations were no little thanks to the stellar performances of Kratos, Atreus, Mimir, the rest of the colorful crew.

Gratz to all!

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game and well deserved! It was my first God of War game and it was an incredible experience.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
You could see it all night that the crowd was on God of War's side. It had the biggest applause by far while being shown/mentioned. RDR 2 would have been the safe pick. But I'm so glad God of War took it. One of my all-time favorite games.