• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's rad. A lot of strong contenders this year. My personal GOTY was RDR2 but God of War is a strong number two for me.

Phenomenal game.

Though it is a shame seeing people using this as an opportunity for more RDR hot takes. Even Cory acknowledged the runner ups. But this is the internet so you gotta be petty I guess.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
Was honestly a coin flip. Both GoW and RDR 2 are great. Congrats to the folks at Sony Santa Monica.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is currently my GOTY, and I love it dearly. That said, I have to admit I was pulling for a GoW win. Rockstar just seemed like an unstoppable monster and it's kind of ridiculous that a Sony first party studio was set up to be the underdog in this fight, but I was definitely pulling for the little guy.

I still haven't gotten around to playing GoW yet, but from what I've seen I have no doubt I will love it a whole lot. I'm not sure it's going to top RDR2 for me, but it should be a great experience either way. I did finally get around to buying it from Black Friday but I've just got way too many games and not enough time.
ND upset them with TLOU during GTAV year. Sony's WWS is Rockstar's main rival now lol

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
GoW is my personal GOTY although I haven't finished Red Dead yet. GoW was one of the best game in years, so it definitely deserved it. I'm kind of bummed it didn't won't Best narrative. I haven't exactly been enthralled by RDR so far, but I'm only 1/3 of the way through so far.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RDR and GOW are both neck and neck for me, but I'm glad GOW took it

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Deserved. A game that controls as poorly as RDR2 does has no business winning GOTY.
This is what I'm saying. RDR is a damn technical marvel for consoles in 2018 especially on the One X, but damn it controls like something from 1992.

People try to give it a pass saying it's a rockstar game etc etc. That is no excuse when they can give that much attention to detail in a game and have it control like that. Not saying it's bad game. It's a great game but with controls like it has it should be automatically disqualified as GOTY

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While I think RDR2 should have won this I'm at least happy it won best narrative, that competition wasn't even close IMO.

I do admit GoW had better feeling gameplay, but it was no Spider-Man either.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
RDR2 is currently my GOTY, and I love it dearly. That said, I have to admit I was pulling for a GoW win. Rockstar just seemed like an unstoppable monster and it's kind of ridiculous that a Sony first party studio was set up to be the underdog in this fight, but I was definitely pulling for the little guy.

I still haven't gotten around to playing GoW yet, but from what I've seen I have no doubt I will love it a whole lot. I'm not sure it's going to top RDR2 for me, but it should be a great experience either way. I did finally get around to buying it from Black Friday but I've just got way too many games and not enough time.

Just put on good headphones and load the game. You won't believe how fast time flies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any of the GOTY contenders this year, but despite my misgivings and general skepticism of the "popular AAA game" type stuff... God of War is really the only one I'm interested in trying. (Well maybe Assassin's Creed, too.) Almost enough to make me get a PS4. Almost.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really happy it wasn't RDR2. Also this game almost deserves it for the Thor style get the axe back mechanic alone.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Exact opposite for me. I dropped RDR2 after about 30 hours due to how repetitive it felt, how overly linear the missions were for such an open world game and how much of a shit show the controls were. IMO that game is hugely overrated but I accept that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

You are not.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
Man, goty awards are serious business...
Anyways, congrats to everybody involved in the making of GoW and all the amazing games this year.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Gameplay wins baby. GAMEPLAY WINS.

Because God of War is the better game.

Because GoW is a much better game probably

Damn fucking right it is, it's a game with real player agency, there's no ''Arthur! Push forward NOW!!!'' or ''Arthur WHAT ARE YOU DOING stop looting those bodies!!!'' or ''Arthur! Take cover behind THAT wagon cause I said so!''

Oh and the game doesn't fail all the fucking time because you didn't follow the script 100%.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I was really afraid RDR2 will clean up the awards. I am happy that GOW won as it's the better game by far taking much more risk then any reboot I have seen. RDR2 is just more of Rockstar. The game certainly met expectations of a rockstar game, but I don't see it as something as risky as GOW.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
this is a great moment for this awards ceremony. God of War win legitimises TGA a lot more imho

it would've been very very easy to give it to RDR2 but it looks like some actual thought processing went into making a decision

I don't understand posts like this. Why are people treating RDR2 like it's an awful game?

And no, the Game Awards will not be legitimate until they actually appear to prioritize rewarding game developers over advertising them.

OminousShadow

Oct 27, 2017
So happy for Cory and the SSM team. Well deserved. Excited to see where they take it with the next one. God of War 2 on next gen hardware is gonna be mind boggling

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Talent wins again. Sony's stock continues to rise. They will be hard stopped with the ps5. God of war was robbed for that best music award though.

Also feel sorry for spiderman. What more do insomniac need to do!