• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats to Santa Monica. It's a very good game and probably in my top 5.

MonHun got robbed though ;)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely happy for SSM. God of War was absolutely incredible. A masterpiece game. Has, so far, better than any game, combined a rich gameplay experience with a deeply engaging, cinematic narrative.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
It was my pick and hoped its gonna win but not gonna lie im still surprised it was able to win.

Well deserved. Red Dead 2 was amazing but God Of War was the Game Of The Year.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can we leave the RDR2 hot takes out of this thread? It's a great game in its own right
They're extremely close going by the critics, RDR2 sits at 97 on metacritic and God of War at 94. I think most assumed that RDR2 would get the win here, so some hot takes aimed at either direction should be expected. I'm surprised it isn't worse tbh.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Not suprised in the slightest.
Sony had one of their best year ever and RDR is overrated.

latest

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Legit was so surprised when GoW won because I was convinced RDR2 would win based on how the night was going. So so incredible. Game deserves all the love.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I have the feeling that people at Sony Santa Monica knew it since yesterday at least when they were so excited for the show on Twitter.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
God of war plays like a dream, I am thrilled it was rewarded for the risks it took, and for when it released.. I felt for sure it would be forgotten by the end of the year (by critics)

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Congrats to SSM. Was a phenomenal game and was an easy choice in my eyes anyway.

Can't wait to see what's next !

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
God damn it's as if Red Dead 2 poured sugar in ya'll's gas tanks.

God of War won; it's a great game. Congratulations!

I swear the backlash Red Dead is getting makes me like the game even more. Like it's my own little black sheep that only myself understands in a way that most wouldn't. Certainly not amongst the outlets I've been following.

But alas it's God of War's spotlight and it deserves as much as RDR2 did; although I personally believe RDR2 is significantly better.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Yep, the game is amazing. Very distinct in relation to the other GOTY, Read Dead Redemption 2 and people have their gravitas twoard some generas and people really had a major fallout with open worlds recently and God of War... by no means that shit is even near a open world game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I was the biggest Red Dead Redemption 1 fanboy but GOW truly deserves it this time. It's the perfect combination of gameplay, animation and story. Everything was so tight, the pacing is tight, the exploration is tight and the control is tight as fuck. You always feel like you're in control during gameplay, never once the game force you to do something against your will. I am talking about you, MICAH.

RDR2 is technically impressive, but it feels very loose and clumsy, the mission design is just plain terrible and on-rail, sniping missions in which you can't even move your position or un-scope your fucking rifle, your entire controller becomes just one analog stick and one trigger. What is this? 2008?

Let's not talk about the terrible combat, playing with free aim literally made me question my ability to aim with a controller to a point that I have to start up Battlefield 4 and fucking head shot everyone with my .44 Magnum to feel normal again.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Gameplay wins baby. GAMEPLAY WINS.

Damn fucking right it is, it's a game with real player agency, there's no ''Arthur! Push forward NOW!!!'' or ''Arthur WHAT ARE YOU DOING stop looting those bodies!!!'' or ''Arthur! Take cover behind THAT wagon cause I said so!''

Oh and the game doesn't fail all the fucking time because you didn't follow the script 100%.

All this, the amount of times I hit fail states, camera and controls removed from me, NPC's hurrying me up, unnecessary mask because everyone knows it is you anyway - story or otherwise...autoaim and a lot more. Red Dead has no right to win game of the year.

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018
God of War was really fantastic. I'd have personally liked a bit more love for Odyssey, but as a consensus pick, it's hard to beat God of War.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I am so happy this one. Gameplay over narrative any day every day. It was my GOTY and it truly gives the awards a lot more credibility in my eyes that they didn't go for something recent because of recency bias.

Also I'm never listening to "insiders" or media outlets ever again for predictions. Lads don't have a clue.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! I was feeling RDR2 would have picked up everything and was gonna feel sorry for SSM if they got no reward because of it, so happy they got this. Was my pick for GOTY this year too.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I was the biggest Red Dead Redemption 1 fanboy but GOW truly deserves it this time. It's the perfect combination of gameplay, animation and story. Everything was so tight, the pacing is tight, the exploration is tight the fucking control is tight as fuck. You always feel like you are in control during gameplay, never once the game force you to do something against your will.
Lets not forget Audio design. Nothing will top that damn World Serpent.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman was certainly great.
RDR is burning me out.
GoW was honestly the most complete - for lack of a better term - well rounded and polished package of them all.

Well deserved win.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead 2 is still my personal pick, but I had thought that the awards would have just gone with the safe choice (Only in the sense Rockstar is a huge name). I have to say that I do not question the integrity of the show; and that's something that I can't always say about award shows so bravo for the show in general.

Congrats to Santa Monica! And congrats to Rockstar for getting Best Narrative; as I think most people who are on the fence about RDRII's gameplay can agree the story is masterfully spun.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had only played this and most of Spider-Man, so it was my personal front runner. Regardless of whether or not RDR2 overtakes it when I get around to it, it was a well deserved win. Can't be happier for Barlog and the rest of Santa Monica Studios for getting the recognition they deserve.

Speaking of recognition, I'm going to touch on Barlog's earlier recognition for David Jaffe since many were upset in the live thread. The man is highly disagreeable and likely holds some abhorrent social views given what he supports and how he carries himself, but he does deserve the thanks in regards to kicking off the God of War franchise. Without him, this game wouldn't have happened. That said, the credit ends there.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how alive RDR2's world feels. I'll continue to state that it has an open-world from the future but gameplay from 2008.

The difference in gameplay quality between it and God of War is a GULF, so it absolutely deserves its GOTY position.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Good, the better video game won. I'd also have taken Celeste, Monster Hunter, and Spidey over Red Dead, but God of War is absolutely most deserving.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Screw this we're going to Tahiti boys 😂😂😂

But really congrats to SSM! I think I liked the narrative and presentation in RDR2 more but GOW gameplay was amazing and it was better overall.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Now that I think about it, God of War really is my game of the year as well. I was compelled to play through and finish GoW during its first week, whereas RDR2 felt more like a chore at times. Controls are still kind of a pain even after a lot of tweaking, while GoW plays like a dream. Snappy and responsive controls win the day.

Oh and God of War didn't have any obvious money-grubbing online mode either. Fuck GTA Online and the precedent it set for Rockstar's multiplayer going forward.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like Shawn's pressuring worked. Hope they give him all the time/money he needs for either a sequel or his new IP idea.