• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
FJfVpxV.jpg
Family and vengeance, justice and greed. Peace is a luxury the people of La Belle can no longer afford.

Release date: Nov. 22 on Netflix.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag any (spoiler) discussion for two weeks. And make sure to label your spoiler discussion. (i.e. Episode 5:
Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Links:
Cast:

FjQvBRG.jpg

Michelle Dockery as Alice Fletcher, Jack O'Connell as Roy Goode, Merritt Wever as Mary Anges

sGVAZgp.jpg

Jeff Daniels as Frank Griffin, Kayli Carter as Sadie Rose, Tess Frazer as Callie Dunne

QLaNfWN.jpg

Kim Coates as Ed Logan, Scoot McNairy as Bill McNue

HjVarG5.jpg

Samantha Soule as Charlotte Temple, Christiane Seidel as Martha Bischoff, Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Whitey Winn

Reviews:
But this ambitious show, which executive producer Steven Soderbergh reportedly convinced Frank (best known for writing scripts like Out of Sight and Logan) to turn into a series rather than a movie, doesn't limit itself to that triangle and love and death. Godless keeps its world as expansive as the vast plains, so beautifully shot on location in Santa Fe. The supporting cast (including Scott McNairy, Kim Coates, and Daniels' Newsroom costar Sam Waterston) is strong, but no one is more electric than the always extraordinary Merritt Wever, who manages to elevate every series she graces with her presence — from New Girl to The Walking Dead — to a higher plane. Her Mary Agnes is sleeping with a former prostitute, wearing men's clothes, and trying to convince the women of La Belle to rely on one another and not sell out their town's resources to a visiting chauvinist. "I'm done with the notion that the bliss of me and my sisters is to be found in child bearing and caregiving," she proclaims.
Nevertheless, if Godless is indeed just an entertainment, it's a very good one. The cast, which also includes Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Kayli Carter, Jeremy Bobb, Erik LaRay Harvey, and Tess Frazer, brings considerable charisma, wit, and emotional depth to the material, elevating even the most rote monologues about a world without mercy to something moving and involving. Even more so, the entire series is shot by DP Steven Meizler, who had a breakout year in 2016 when he shot the entirety of the brilliant first season of The Girlfriend Experience and cut his teeth under the likes of Steven Spielberg and Steven Soderbergh, the latter of whom serves as an executive producer here. Working with Frank, Meizler intimates the unknowable truth of the wild West by consistently utilizing natural light that barely gives you sight in the darkness, while also returning to gray skies and the aforementioned storms that make it impossible to know who or what is coming your way.
"Godless" takes far longer to get from A to B, and while it may strain the patience of an ADD-riddled Netflix audience, it's better for taking its time. Yes, Mary Agnes is a breath of fresh air every time her cut-to-the-chase persona moseys on screen, and yes, Wever — the Emmy-winning star of "Nurse Jackie" — is stupendous in the role. But so is the rest of the cast, including Michelle Dockery, Jack O'Connell, Scoot McNairy, and Emmy-winner Jeff Daniels, all of whom build their characters over longer periods of time. Both the quick and the dead-ly drawn-out elements come together perfectly to fit writer, director, and creator Scott Frank's beautiful dream.

Promo photos:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
never heard of this, but the trailer looks good so i'll probably check it out

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like one of the stronger Netflix shows. So in

I love the cast, westerns, Soderbergh and Scott Frank. This is gonna be tight

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
OMG, definitely subscribing. Can't wait for this!

I just finished Alias Grace. I hope it has the same vibe.

BTW, I saw many people criticizing the trailer because it didn't have many female lines - like the story was going to be focused on the men. What do you guys think?

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this is good, I'm always down for westerns and the premise immediately had my attention.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so goddamn hyped for this.

Also, you said I was going to get to pick the title for the thread :(
My terribad pun deserved its place dammit.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this tweet from former MMA fighter Keith Jardine. Had no idea he was in this.

Might check this out at some point.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
With this and the Crown coming up, definitely resubscribing to Netflix again. Going to start watching it all tomorrow.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Vulture: Godless Is So Good, You'll Like It Even If You Don't Like Westerns
If you're a sucker for Westerns, boy, are you going to love Godless.

If you're not a sucker for Westerns, boy, are you going to love Godless anyway. This new limited, seven-episode series from Netflix is just that great.

Replete with gorgeously infinite landscapes and so many fascinating characters that you'll change your mind every five minutes about which one is your favorite, Godless is a wonderfully modern addition to the genre that's simultaneously classic and traditional in all the right ways. It's a thoroughly American piece of work that's landing at the perfect moment: the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, which lets audiences appreciate it on the most American of holidays.

I'm going to start it soon-ish. Will report back with my measured and calm response.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
So here is my calm and measured response after watching one episode:

THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST SHOW NETFLIX HAS EVER MADE AND I SWEAR I WILL HUNT DOWN ANY OF YOU FUCKERS WHO DON'T WATCH IT.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
My wife seemed interested just for Lady Mary, while I was interested because I miss Westworld. Will definitely watch.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Looks interesting. I can't get to a 4K TV, but is this in 4K/Dolby Vision?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The Guardian: Netflix's wonderfully wicked western fires on all cylinders [5/5]
The plot may be too slow for some – which, in addition to the genre, might drive viewers away – but Godless is worth it if only for aesthetic pleasure. Shot by Steven Meizler, who worked with Soderbergh on The Girlfriend Experience, the long, vivid tracking shots are lyrical and impressionistic, and there's a scene in a church, where Griffin implores the townspeople to steer clear of Roy Goode lest they suffer like Christ did, that brought to mind the great face-off between Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday of There Will Be Blood. That the series is so full of cinematic references both visual and narrative is part of the fun; Godless doesn't resist its classification as a western with a capital W, and instead embraces the genre's outsize influence in the American film canon.
The church shot mentioned above alone makes this show worth it.
I saw some Blood Meridian comparisons in a few reviews, would people agree with that?
On the basis of the first episode I don't disagree with that comparison, nor is it one that I would have made. So far it's pretty in line with the recent-ish Western revival with films like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Hateful Eight, and True Grit with how it approaches a traditional genre from a modern perspective.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So here is my calm and measured response after watching one episode:

THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST SHOW NETFLIX HAS EVER MADE AND I SWEAR I WILL HUNT DOWN ANY OF YOU FUCKERS WHO DON'T WATCH IT.

Just finished episode 1. Have to heartily agree with this post!

The cast is incredible for this. Seems like it's firing on all cylinders.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 1. Have to heartily agree with this post!

The cast is incredible for this. Seems like it's firing on all cylinders.
I'd agree that it is the best pilot of any Netflix Original, hence it has definitely the potential to be the best one yet.
Cast is phenomenal, really. Great music too!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Whew, what a opening episode. What a cast, the whole thing is gorgeous, the tone is wonderfully pitched. Can't wait to watch more.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Episode 3...this is some masterful work right here.
Visually absolutely stunning (it's not Westworld, but still), performances just seem effortlessly great (special shoutout to that Whitey actor, whom I only knew from Maze Runner until now) and the characters and dialogues are very excellently written. There are some exceptions to the latter (that love story is kinda ridiculous)...whatever.

I'm hyped for the following episodes!

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I watched the first episode and loved it. I'm only slightly unconvinced by Jeff Daniels so far though. I can't quite buy him as a gritty villain...or at least up there with some all time greats. We shall see.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that it popped up. Looks killer. Will watch after the wife and I finish The Punisher.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, after The Punisher, I thought I was safe for a few weeks. Stop for a minute, Netflix.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Watched the first episode last night. I enjoyed it except for the awful overuse of cheap slow-mo, where they haven't shot it at a high framerate so it looks all stilted and horrible.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will watch after I finish Punisher. Or maybe not, I'm not that into it.

I'm down for this though. Might quell my wild west thirst until new Westworld.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
To know if I could suggest it to someone who likes Westerns but doesn't like swearing, how is it in terms of language? There's a little in the trailer.