• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think the issue is that CGI is a term that actually covers a vast amount of techniques used in altering imagery but we often use it to point out 100% fabricated creature character models, vehicles and disasters.

There's certainly a lot of shit people don't realize is CGI because it's so seemless. Lots of background props, signage, extras and crowds, etc. Even the field of de-aging has come really far in just a few years. Compare Young Michael Douglas in Ant-Man to Young Michael Douglas in Ant-Man 2. Sam Jackson looks bananas convincing in Captain Marvel from what we've seen.

However, other CGI creations do not seem to have advanced at the same rate. We seemed to have plateaued when it comes to creature effects. These monsters don't look any better than the 2014 film, IMO, but maybe it's subtle.

Personally, I'm much more impressed to learn that a parapet and surrounding trees during a dialogue in Game of Thrones weren't really there. Because I was honestly fooled.
You will never be satisfied because the key difference between background props, extras, or trees and parapets is that all of those things exist in the real world. We can be fooled by it because we are willing to believe they are real. You can't be fooled by Kaiju. They don't exist. We KNOW they're fake. So no matter how "realistic" the CG gets, our brains will always know that they aren't. And it will never be interpreted as something that is seamless or real like your other examples.
Is Godzilla taking a nap inside a volcano?
Not quite.
It is like they took everything that made the first one shit, and didnt do that.
Yup.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like MBB is the proper lead. Must be cool and a bit scary to get that kind of responsibility for a 'grown up' mega blockbuster at age 14.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like MBB is the proper lead. Must be cool and a bit scary to get that kind of responsibility for a 'grown up' mega blockbuster at age 14.
I wouldn't say that. It's more Kyle Chandler. Maybe we can call MBB -a- lead, but not -the- lead. I would say she is less important than both Chandler and Farmiga even though she gets a decent amount of focus.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that. It's more Kyle Chandler. Maybe we can call MBB -a- lead, but not -the- lead. I would say she is less important than both Chandler and Farmiga even though she gets a decent amount of focus.

Awesome news. Love Chandler and I'm not yet sold on MBB tbh. I liked eleven when she was more mute tbh

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Plot leak sounds sexy tbh.

Ghidorah fights got me moist, especially considering we haven't even got any of the good kaiju on kaiju stuff yet, just them getting stanced up and cities/the military getting wrecked.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really love how this film is coming along visually. It's such a striking use of contrast and colors. Some of those scenes look straight out of concept art.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DuElWEHVYAA1lQc.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this looks good!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Trailer has me wondering if Godzilla and Ghidorah go two rounds, Rocky 3 style. Look that thing.

Kong is gonna get worked in the match up if that big boy Ghidorah is what Godzilla can take down.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
why is the shot of godzilla running at king ghidorah with the support of jets making me tear the fuck up

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Misgivings abound.

- Thomas Middleditch giving me Charlie Day vibes, setting up potential for tonal issues for the film. I like both of those guys but there's a time and place and I already worry that the tide is turning on Middleditch because of Verizon. A shame as he is hilarious in podcasts. But again, this is a Godzilla movie!

- Going back to that tonal thing: the worst part of the 2014 Godzilla wasn't the focus on character drama, it was that the characters and drama weren't compelling. Would the film have been better with just more monster fights? No...

- so please don't scrap the focus on character drama, just write something better. Unless you don't actually care about telling us a good story. If that's the case...

- holy shit do we need constant bombastic monster fights! Like, trim out everything else if you're going full-on "audiences are sheep" cynical. Runtime 90 minutes tops and people won't be so upset that you wasted their time.

-
I don't see the human drama being any better than the 2014 film, but hopefully yeah that means just more monster screentime and awesome visuals so it's an actual blockbuster experience where you're lost in it rather than thinking about the bad characters.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but are we 100% certain that it's Mothra and not Battra we're seeing in this trailer? Good design but it looked a bit too evil to me, especially when compared with the larva form we saw in the first trailer. I'm probably grasping at straws but I just love cute and fluffy Mothra.
Other than that, this looks great.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mothra is gonna act as a shield or do some self-sacrificing stuff for Godzilla, seems like the obvious route they might do. Rodan is the wild card and can be neutral.
hqdefault.jpg

Let's go

All things considered, could godzilla's glowing tail be an indication of mothra merging with him later in the movie ?
His tail doesn't glow here :
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuElWEHVYAA1lQc.jpg

He could get wrecked in that fight then get help from mothra for the grudge match in the last act

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that last few scenes from the trailer where Ghidorah and Godzilla charge at each other. At this point, i don't care if the story is good, if they nailed the Kaiju fights they have my money.

But good grief, Ghidorah is huge.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
This is turning into a fucking dream movie for me. This just looks tremendous. All these classic Kaiju have been done justice. Shit brings a tear to my eye.

Growing up I consumed Godzilla movies day and night on VHS. Godzilla has been a constant presence throughout my whole life. I sleep underneath a Godzilla vs. Biollante Movie poster. I fucking idolize these Toho Kaiju. I can't remember being this hype for movie since . . . shieet. Godzilla 2014 or Shin Godzilla bahaha!

I absolutely can't wait to see this. Easily my most anticipated film of 2019. Like, nothing even comes close. I love me some Avengers, but this is Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and King fucking Ghidorah on the big screen. Nothing is touching this for me.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but are we 100% certain that it's Mothra and not Battra we're seeing in this trailer? Good design but it looked a bit too evil to me, especially when compared with the larva form we saw in the first trailer. I'm probably grasping at straws but I just love cute and fluffy Mothra.
Other than that, this looks great.
They would never in a million years use battra over Mothra. They just wanted to make her more formidable.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Look how quick Godzilla can stride!
Honestly, I thought that was the cutest thing given his weight upgrade lol

Mothra's look bothers me a little but I'm sure I'll look past it when watching the movie.
The unfolding of the wings with the cloudy foreground is always magical

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
hqdefault.jpg

Let's go

All things considered, could godzilla's glowing tail be an indication of mothra merging with him later in the movie ?
His tail doesn't glow here :
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuElWEHVYAA1lQc.jpg

He could get wrecked in that fight then get help from mothra for the grudge match in the last act
Godzilla having a glowing tail could mean anything from going thermal nuclear (destroyah) or some other atomic breath attack.

But yeah Mothra is well known to sacrifice herself to give other people a boost. She has done that for both Godzilla and Ghidorah (to make him stronger and turn him into the Thousand Year old Dragon to fight Godzilla in GMK)

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly, I never watched the older Godzilla flicks (with the guy in the costume)...so I've missed out on how these sorts of fights tend to play out, but...how the hell does Godzilla tend to overcome some of these larger foes? The three-headed dragon (Ghidorah?) seems OP as hell!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Phew! I'd be interested in hearing why it fell flat. That was the first time I really loved Kong. That shit with the boat fan on the chain was so rad. And thought the fights were so well choreographed and shot.
Agreed. Skull Island was the first time I genuinely found Kong interesting and fun to watch.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skull Island is a fun and dumb film that knows exactly what it is. Balls to the walls action and it frames it that way. That katana scene was just hilarious and it knew it was.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Loved the trailer right up until the end when Godzilla ran... It looks so unnatural. It's like turning on "motion flow" on your tv. Plus that camera tracking does not help, at all. It's when CG looks CG.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Zhang Ziyi was in this. Much better than Jing Tian, who usually get inserted into these Legendary movies.

Trailer has me wondering if Godzilla and Ghidorah go two rounds, Rocky 3 style. Look that thing.

Kong is gonna get worked in the match up if that big boy Ghidorah is what Godzilla can take down.

That's what I would expect, Godzilla will have to train in his proverbial desert while taking lessons from Mothra and other monsters, learning the value of friendship. I expect Kong v Godzilla to be more like the first Creed.

OP
OP
MasterYoshi

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pjj9jbNBTq1txsff9o5_r1_540.gif

I really appreciate shots like this. I don't think Godzilla has ever looked better in any previous incarnation before. This design is going to be iconic.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we get another video game next year. The 2015 game was only good for hardcore fans interested in playing out a Toho film. I'd like to see one that's halfway between the "realism" of the 2015 game and the arcade brawling of the Pipeworks games.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I really hope we get another video game next year. The 2015 game was only good for hardcore fans interested in playing out a Toho film. I'd like to see one that's halfway between the "realism" of the 2015 game and the arcade brawling of the Pipeworks games.

Agreed, loved those games. Still bitter they didn't have enough time to include Godzilla 1962 in the PS4 game. Basically best Showa Godzilla.

Anyways, I really wonder how humanity will deal with all these titans emerging and causing untold chaos. Can you imagine living in such a world?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Agreed, loved those games. Still bitter they didn't have enough time to include Godzilla 1962 in the PS4 game. Basically best Showa Godzilla.

Anyways, I really wonder how humanity will deal with all these titans emerging and causing untold chaos. Can you imagine living in such a world?
God I wish that game controlled better. It has everything in there almost.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
i can't wait to go see this.the last one was such a great experience in theaters that i couldnt replicate at home.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Got to get him more agile so he can fight Kong who I'm sure will be hopping around all over the place. They are going to have to buff Kong so much to make him anywhere near as powerful as Ghidorah so he could be an actual threat.

Oct 25, 2017
Got to get him more agile so he can fight Kong who I'm sure will be hopping around all over the place. They are going to have to buff Kong so much to make him anywhere near as powerful as Ghidorah so he could be an actual threat.
They're going to have to either put Kong in a massive mech or feed him a steady diet of nuclear fusion bombs. after the 2014 movie that match up never made sense to me since I can still do nothing but easily imagine Godzilla pulling a One Punch Man on King Kong.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They're going to have to either put Kong in a massive mech or feed him a steady diet of nuclear fusion bombs. after the 2014 movie that match up never made sense to me since I can still do nothing but easily imagine Godzilla pulling a One Punch Man on King Kong.
My question is, are they going to make Godzilla a bad guy again for this film. Are they going to let Kong win again? I really really really don't want Kong to win.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Mind you -- Kong will be older and likely bigger and more hardened by the crazy shit on Skull Island. I'd also like to remind y'all that in Kong the scientists were doing that bombing run that Kong interupts at the beginning to see if the island hollow. I'm thinking it is hollow and that we're going to see what's beneath the surface. Likely something Kong has been fighting and personally at war with for years.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My question is, are they going to make Godzilla a bad guy again for this film. Are they going to let Kong win again? I really really really don't want Kong to win.
My only problem is that Godzilla and his frenemies hang at a much higher level than Kong and always have. Godzilla curbstomps the stuff Kong was fighting on Skull Island. Not to mention you always have to put in more effort to harm Godzilla.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Mind you -- Kong will be older and likely bigger and more hardened by the crazy shit on Skull Island. I'd also like to remind y'all that in Kong the scientists were doing that bombing run that Kong interupts at the beginning to see if the island hollow. I'm thinking it is hollow and that we're going to see what's beneath the surface. Likely something Kong has been fighting and personally at war with for years.
How hardened could he be if he is Godzilla size? Eventually skullcrawlers becomes ants at that point.

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pjj9jbNBTq1txsff9o5_r1_540.gif

I really appreciate shots like this. I don't think Godzilla has ever looked better in any previous incarnation before. This design is going to be iconic.

It's the Godzilla I've always imagined: a primordial leviathan who's well beyond taking anyone's shit, and I love that he's finally on the big screen.

I mean, more than any other, the 1964 suit from Mothra vs Godzilla, is what endeared me to the character, but the Legendary design is now the end-all, be-all definitive as far as I'm concerned. 2014's was a few tweaks shy of perfection, and Dougherty and his team have delivered just that.

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, I like this theory. Would be neat to tie it with the idea that Kong was a protector of the island too.