• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Two months after GOG community manager Sean Halliday tweeted a transphobic joke belittling a trans rights hashtag, Halliday revealed that he was fired by the company, according to a new profile from Eurogamer. However, Eurogamer's report fails to mention that Halliday is working with Jeremy "TheQuartering" Hambly, a right-wing YouTuber, on a new website focused on "all games, no politics."
For Magic the Gathering players, Hambly's name is notorious. The YouTuber received a lifetime ban from Magic's Wizards of the Coast after reportedly harassing cosplayer Christine Sprankle. These days, Hambly creates YouTube videos complaining about "SJW RAGE" and why "incels did nothing wrong." He also created a gaming website called "Exclusively Games," dedicated entirely to "fans of gaming who are sick of politics forcing its way inside."

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/gog-transphobic-tweet-gamergate-website/

So the Eurogamer article failed to mention this stuff. Looks like Halliday really shouldn't have had his claims treated at face value. Which was kinda obvious with his old GamerGate articles and his both sidesism and the timeline not working and that the tweet doesn't make sense if he thought he was using the hashtag correctly and *argh*. But nice to have some confirmation.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But... But... I was trying to be apolitical.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair the Eurogamer piece was pretty skeptical of his claims and pretty much got him to accidentally admit that he was full of shit.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Not a surprise, you could smell his particular brand of bullshit coming through the screen. Perhaps Eurogamer didn't confront him enough, but they still gave him more than enough rope to hang himself with if you didn't take everything he said at face value.
Maybe my BS detector is getting better in my old age, but I saw through his "poor me" act almost immediately.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
They DO know that you can't really ever take out politics from video games right? You will always choose a side no matter what you say.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows what gamergate is about, and everyone that acta like they don't know Is a gator.

OP
OP
Castform

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Not a surprise, you could smell his particular brand of bullshit coming through the screen. Perhaps Eurogamer didn't confront him enough, but they still gave him more than enough rope to hang himself with if you didn't take everything he said at face value.
Maybe my BS detector is getting better in my old age, but I saw through his "poor me" act almost immediately.

A lot of the people on the thread discussing the Eurogamer article took them at face value and were quite sympathetic. When they clearly shouldn't have because his story didn't make sense. Wish that Eurogamer would've harped more on that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
are you sure he just didn't join the site because of a genuine misunderstanding

Oct 29, 2017
I still think GOG needs to get out front of this and do donations/something to counteract his shittiness. Their half assed apologies that effectively boiled down to "I'm sorry you were offended" look SUPER BAD in this aftermath

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the article made it pretty clear that the guy was lying to make himself look good during the interview.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dude is a fucking pussy. When he started complaining about females in Total War, it looks like he was going to cry because a female employee told him and those like him to mod it out if it made them uncomfortable. What a fucking loser.

Oct 25, 2017
Where are all the folks that were trying to pretend that it was just a misunderstanding, that we shouldn't jump to conclusions, give him the benefit of the doubt, the left needs to stop shouting "racist" at the drop of a hat etc?

Well I know where they are and they're not coming into this thread because they're disingenuous fuckwits but that's by the by.

The point is when we say that guys like this and boogie are pieces of shit you should listen because it's really quite obvious as long as your head isn't stuck up your arse.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"SJW Rage"
"all games no politics"

wut

Fun fact! Not liking politics is pretty much the only stated personality trait of Gamergate's mascot, Vivian James. It's been in there from the beginning, and she's frequently seen saying things to the effect of "why can't we just shut up and play games?"

Here she is leading the Gamergaters on their exodus as their hate movement was rejected from /v/, 4chan's video games board.

e09rjd90.png

Gamergaters also used to repeatedly tell their their own members not to sexualize Vivian because it damages their efforts to present themselves as respectable. I don't think I need to post images of how that went.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
He now "works" for one of the most incel sounding childish shit stains on the internet so it says all you need to know really. This was his response to the article in OP as updated on their site:

Update 2:40pm CT, Dec. 7: After this article was published, Halliday returned the Daily Dot's request for comment. Over Twitter DMs, he defended his past writing. When asked to speak on the record about his association with Hambly, he expressed frustration.

"You posted two articles from my past that frame me as Gamergate, you are ignoring a huge volume of posts and interactions that suggest otherwise," Halliday said. "I feel this is starting to get a bit silly that two posts out of hundreds are being used to frame me as something I am not."

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I mean, the article made it pretty clear that the guy was lying to make himself look good during the interview.
People often have a hard time reading between the lines when it comes to text, and guys like this tool know that. It just needs to be kinda plausible if you don't think about it, that's usually enough for most people to give the benefit of the doubt. Getting kicked in the teeth a bunch for doing that tends to change your perspective (unfortunately, personal experience with some nasty pieces of work who hid who they were for years).

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
There's an expression in Spain that translates more or less as: God raises them and they get together.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
And that's why the things he tweeted were tells, folks.

Fun fact! Not liking politics is pretty much the only stated personality trait of Gamergate's mascot, Vivian James. It's been in there from the beginning, and she's frequently seen saying things to the effect of "why can't we just shut up and play games?"

Here she is leading the Gamergaters on their exodus as their hate movement was rejected from /v/, 4chan's video games board.

e09rjd90.png

Gamergaters also used to repeatedly tell their their own members not to sexualize Vivian because it damages their efforts to present themselves as respectable. I don't think I need to post images of how that went.

The way these clods draw themselves is like when they give traumatized kids crayons to see what they know.

Oct 25, 2017
I still think GOG needs to get out front of this and do donations/something to counteract his shittiness. Their half assed apologies that effectively boiled down to "I'm sorry you were offended" look SUPER BAD in this aftermath

Their apology tweet was basically "Welp, we'll keep politics out of videogames from now on" so tell me, do you think they really care?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Their apology tweet was basically "Welp, we'll keep politics out of videogames from now on" so tell me, do you think they really care?
They hired him off the back of his coverage of E3 2015 that amounted to "Anita Sarkeesian is not a real gamer", and only fired him when he generated negative sentiment for them.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure he will pretend he didn't know of the Quartering's rep of doing things like harassing cosplayers out of the hobby and raging that She-Ra isn't made to get his dick hard these days.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The quartering is absolute trash. I watched some of his videos and he's disgusting. I'm more of a center than any of the other sides and I disagree with many things on the left but these alt rights are absolute shit and the quartering is a great representation of them.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
A "ignorant" person that tries to avoid "politics" working with the alt-right? Shocking,. (But not really.)

CDPR's response to all of this couldn't be more depressing. Disavow hate groups for what they are--do not try to appease them.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Guys it was just a misunderstanding! He didn't get the context because he's an ignorant European peasant who doesn't have access to our fancy American internet culture!

/s

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Finally a website where I can avoid all this talk of politics. A place where I can whine about the SJWs and women, especially women in politics and tell all my friends to vote for far right candidat- err I mean..

Nov 1, 2017
It's funny how much they hate being called out on their shit and claim it's someone else making up shit. Kinda like how nazi's want to be called alt right since it's "friendlier".

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Ugh, these Gamergater losers...then that chucklehead from The Quartering. I'm a big ole nerd who loves comic book movies, went to the cinema to catch Wreck It Ralph 2 and have a bunch of horror movie posters and memorabilia around my room. If I was in an American high school movie I'd be getting stuffed in a locker and called a weirdo loser. But these twerps portray themselves as ultra-childish in comparison to even me, I'm embarrassed for their seeming inability to grow the fuck up and stop acting like idiot 10 year-olds. I'd pity them if they weren't so shitty and damaging.
As it is I have no trouble in calling these guys pieces of shit that need to fuck off into obscurity and leave normal people alone to not have to put up with their combo of pathetic mewling and ugly, hateful aggression. Cunts.