• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
CD Projekt says its GOG games storefront will put more focus on offering "a handpicked selection of games" and transfer some developers to other projects, following ongoing financial losses at the division.
These latest statements came after disappointing financial results for GOG. The storefront saw a slight increase in revenue but a net loss of around $1.14 million in the last financial quarter. Overall, it's lost about $2.21 million over the past three quarters compared to a $1.37 million profit over the same period in 2020. CD Projekt didn't immediately reply to questions about how its new strategy might translate into changes to GOG's features or catalog.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/29/22808199/cd-projekt-gog-losses-restructuring-earnings-2021

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
sad to see but, honestly, i am part of the problem.

i'd rather buy on steam for features/convenience than GOG :/

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Unfortunate (well, #FuckCDPR and all that) but not unsurprising. Despite GOG having a strong presence among PC enthusiast circles, in in the grander scheme of things, it has a history of being a rounding error when it comes to games that aren't CDPR's own. Some indie devs have even dropped support for it altogether.

I theorised the recent addition of Hitman 2016, inclusive of its online-gated content, was CDPR throwing some chum in the water to see how its userbase would react to the store carrying DRM-enabled games, and I feel CDPR now being even more particular about what makes the cut is another stepping stone to that inevitability. Realistically, either the GOG store is shut down due to ongoing losses or DRM becomes fair game in the interest of profitability.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does not surprise me. Who buys games on GOG? I certainly have never bought a game there. Their whole "DRM free" gimmick is not really a thing that appeals to the average consumer, me included. I'll gladly deal with Steam considering it comes with a ton of convenience that GOG simply does not have.

By the time Steam shuts down (if it ever does, honestly, it probably won't) I'll have looooooooooooooooooong moved on from whatever I have bought on there lol

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Shame, I prefer buying on GOG if it's available, but most of the time the new games don't launch on it until months down the road if ever.

Last edited:

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda thought something was up. They have been aggressively emailing me about deal, and they given out a bunch of free games in the last few months.

Sucks.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I figured this would happen. Despite being DRM-free, it wouldn't be enough to entice people to use them as a primary platform.

GOG seems to drum up the most interest when grabbing/helping publish older games.

najaschade

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2021
I mean at some point you've released all the good old games. what are you going to release now good new games, those are already on steam?

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they have to reduce their cut somewhat recently (like in the past few years) due to competitive pressure?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't really use gog anymore myself. I loved it when it was Good Old Games. It was great to be able to get old DOS and Win95 games that you couldn't legally get anymore.

Steam has gotten better with old games though in recent years.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I figured this would happen. Despite being DRM-free, it wouldn't be enough to entice people to use them as a primary platform.

GOG seems to drum up the most interest when grabbing/helping publish older games.
they should re-brand into something focused on a service that specializes in supporting older games. call it something like "getting older games" or some such.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Personally I've been way less likely to buy stuff from GOG after the whole Devotion nonsense. It was so utterly, transparently malicious *and* incompetent I went from feeling really positive about the storefront to not even really wanting to give them my money, DRM-free be damned.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I have mostly ever used them to buy old games tbh. I like just having that stuff as a direct download executable. But almost all new games require some sort of DRM so might as well go with Steam.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. i shop with GOG all the time. My GOG library is pretty big. I love it.

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
it kinda feels like gog just exists without any presence. square enix posted some of their ps3 catalog on gog recently and you wouldnt really know unless you ran into it browsing the store.

also square please enable cloud saves for sleeping dogs de on steam. you did it for the gog release but i dont wanna buy it again

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame to see, but honestly, I'm a part of the problem.

I buy and want everything on Steam

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, CDPR just spent two years burying its reputation in multiple layers of shit. GOG has always been barely profitable and losing that good will has likely had an effect on the bottom line.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I used GOG a lot for grabbing fixed up and easier-to-play versions of older games over the years that could be run without a launcher. But I have pretty much everything I needed now, and I'd really rather give as little money to CDPR for newer releases as possible after their issues with transphobia.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
This is too bad. I have a decent size GOG collection but it is mostly classic games. I am part of the problem where I don't buy newer releases on GOG.

Does not surprise me. Who buys games on GOG? I certainly have never bought a game there. Their whole "DRM free" gimmick is not really a thing that appeals to the average consumer, me included. I'll gladly deal with Steam considering it comes with a ton of convenience that GOG simply does not have.

By the time Steam shuts down (if it ever does, honestly, it probably won't) I'll have looooooooooooooooooong moved on from whatever I have bought on there lol
"DRM free" isn't a gimmick and it's not that "DRM free" doesn't appeal to people, it is that Steam has a massive install base and people want to play with their friends and have their library in one place.

People love DRM free options when their games in their library stop working.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Personally I've been way less likely to buy stuff from GOG after the whole Devotion nonsense. It was so utterly, transparently malicious *and* incompetent I went from feeling really positive about the storefront to not even really wanting to give them my money, DRM-free be damned.
What Devotion stuff?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
They sometimes have great deals on old ass games that I end up getting, besides that I only got all the Witcher games and Cyberpunk there, everything else I want usually doesn't end up on GoG day 1….

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
GOG is alright and I do really hope they keep making efforts to get games like Blade Runner on there.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's sad, but my relation to GOG is putting "exclusives" on the wishlist and then forgetting about it because they may get a Steam version someday.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I used to love GOG, but I stopped buying from them way back, after they made the stupid decision to start charging NZ customers in Australian dollars. It makes zero sense, they're obviously different currencies, and we're far more used to USD for digital purchases.

The move away from "Good Old Games" was a sad one. it felt good to have a storefront devoted to restoring and supporting old games and doing the work to get them to work on modern PCs.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GOG was great when they were more closely working on restoring old games to modern hardware, when the same game on GOG would run properly while the Steam version would require extra work. Or even crazier, when they'd be the only store to actually release the game.

Does that even happen anymore?

The DRM-free thing is nice but it's not super-important for most games unless Steam suddenly dies.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I decided to not give them a penny once they chose to be transphobic on twitter. Probably not a good idea for an already niche store to alienate customers for years but hey im just a broke bitch what do I know about businesses

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
They should double down on getting Old games you can't buy anywhere else legally online. Freelancer and Rise of Legends are two highly requested games that come to mind, I'm sure there's more.

Also try and get some old game online infrastructure back up. Imagine having Red Alert 2 without needing to download 3rd party software

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Still use it for good old games. Going through a crpg book and picking up titles that gog has pretty much exclusively. Would be a real shame for it to shut down.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's a shame. I don't care one bit about CD Projekt but I do appreciate DRM-free games. They should focus on classic games and indies, maybe?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in buying newer games on GOG. I have spent a LOT of money on "Good 'ol Games"

When the classics show up there i'm more inclined to buy them there than steam as they put more work to make them run on modern systems. I get why they moved away from it because there's only so many more old games out there to get vs new games will always come out

Edit: Also them doing a gag that their store was closing as some odd joke did some permanent damage of their system in my mind

najaschade

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2021
They haven't even come close to releasing all the good old games in existence lol
The service is 11 years old by now. Any old game that might make some money and isn't stuck in some terrible license limbo has been re-released. I mean retro pc gaming goes back like what 1984 or so? so you've got like 15 to 20 years of games to re-release. That is just not a lot to work with, especially since most people probably don't want to pay for most games released during that time frame. I don't think its far-fetched to say they've reached the point where the games they could release on the platform just aren't popular enough or too expensive to make a return on investment.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped using them after their social media transphobia and Devotion stuff.

I thought they were already focusing on hand selected games after the stories from developers who had well reviewed and popular games and couldn't get on the platform, doubt doubling down (or returning to it) is the solution. And indies aren't their solution because itch is filling that niche outside of Steam and developers are happy there.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017

Yup. Told them to delete my account and the games on there.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
They lost me after those asinine GG tweets. The Devotion shit didn't help either so yeah, I don't look for Gog when I buy games.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
CP2077 has started a snowball effect and now CDPR is hurting...hopefully this won't lead to them shutting down

Oct 20, 2021
It's a bit sad because I always liked GOG, but using 2 storefronts is just a hassle.
I have so many games on Steam, at this point a game either comes to Steam or I won't buy it. I don't even care if the game comes 2 years later. My backlog is already way too big. Steam IS pc gaming. It's just how it is.

Epic Store won't be successful either.🤷

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Have a small GOG library of exactly "good old games", Elite Force was the last game I played on there.
Hope the re-focus can help them become profitable again, but it seems like a stretch. Stores don't make more money by selling less.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Everything else aside they've almost always lost money on GOG for a awhile which is sad because I like them for being able to legally buy old games.
This going back like 9 years
The problem they have getting older games listed for sale is licensing issues are a nightmare to figure out for who actually owns it anymore. So actually trying to track down who to attempt to contact is insane.
Microsoft even said the same thing essentially with its own on the backwards compatibly solution stuff with Xbox, that mostly boiled down to licensing.

Another problem also ends up being that some game developers just treat GOG releases as an entire separate thing and release it followed by completely ignoring it for updates or DLC etc. GOG's official forums has pages upon pages of devs hucking up games that are essentially massively outdated compared to other PC platforms versions.

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy to hear but I can't remember the last time I bought a game from GOG. I kind of started to drift away when it became just another storefront and not the archival/modernization of old PC games it felt like.

Also, it's still "gee oh gee" to me. I can't call it gog.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The service is 11 years old by now. Any old game that might make some money and isn't stuck in some terrible license limbo has been re-released. I mean retro pc gaming goes back like what 1984 or so? so you've got like 15 to 20 years of games to re-release. That is just not a lot to work with, especially since most people probably don't want to pay for most games released during that time frame. I don't think its far-fetched to say they've reached the point where the games they could release on the platform just aren't popular enough or too expensive to make a return on investment.

Nah, there is still a lot I imagine. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are good examples.

CP2077 has started a snowball effect and now CDPR is hurting...hopefully this won't lead to them shutting down

I'm pretty sure their overall profits were up iirc, so they really aren't hurting.