• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The Cyberpunk Twitter made an out of order comment. https://www.resetera.com/threads/cy...account-makes-transphobic-joke-read-op.63305/

It was deleted by now, but no statement to it yet.

But really, the commenter your replied too was stupid too. One thing doesn't have any connection to the other. It's not like they whipped up the DRM site in the hours after the tweet incident.

CJProject red can't stop their twitter folks from sticking their leg into their tweethole, make the anti-trans joke "did you just assume my gender"?, two locked threads, one thread at 10 pages and counting, at least 20 bans, more than 10 perma-bans.

CJProjeckt is great at games and GOG is awesome but they have no handle on how to use social media responsibly, especially in the post GG gaming online world. There's no defense for what happened and I had hoped they learned their lesson after the last twitter incident. Social media person will most likely be fired.

Thanks for the answer peeps! Not surprised how their tweeter folk keeps being tone-deaf.

With regards to this topic, their non-inclussion of itch is indeed weird, and why I think this is just some dumb ad for their website, disguised as PSA or something.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
That is bad, true. Itch.io is goddamn awesome, and better than GOG regarding "freedom" as there's no gatekeeping and the devs can set their own cut. Hell, Itch.io should be shown first.
Itch allows you to just sell Steam keys instead of downloads though, which is the perfect excuse for GOG to not include them. And frankly, that would make sense. Itch isn't bad in this regard, but Humble Store is, with some games with DRM-free badge (!) simply having DRM-free concept art download or something, and the game being only available as a Steam key.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd like to say something of the FCKdrm site; to me this sounds like a large advertisement for their store. Nice that they added in DRM free links to music and film, wasn't aware that Vimeo on Demand was DRM free. Still an advertisement.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
GOG profitting from it or not, buying games with no DRM benefits the customer in the first place. DRM is a protection for publishers, it never had ANY real benefit for people who just bought the game (but several downsides).

I don't disagree with the fact that DRM never benefits consumers but having GoG setting up an entirely different site to fight it seems weird when they're merely calling out the competition.

EDIT: I do appreciate that they have links to sites that sell DRM music though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't disagree with the fact that DRM never benefits consumers but having GoG setting up an entirely different site to fight it seems weird when they're merely calling out the competition.

Advertising good things is not bad though. Do you also get upset when healthy food companies advertise their meals over junk food chains?
As long as the average consumer gets better informed about DRM and take a harder stance against it, GOG will benefit for "calling out the competition", yes, but we customers will benefit much, much more. So it's kinda silly to care.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Advertising good things is not bad though. Do you also get upset when healthy food companies advertise their meals over junk food chains?
As long as the average consumer gets better informed about DRM and take a harder stance against it, GOG will benefit for "calling out the competition", yes, but we customers will benefit much, much more. So it's kinda silly to care.

I guess you are right. In the end this should be a net gain when it comes to information on what companies are doing with DRM.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are right that a lot of people who have no idea what DRM is. I've run into those discussions a lot where I pretty much have to spell it out for people.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if they are just doing it to call out competition or whatever: Being anti-DRM benefits the consumer and video game preservation. Any effort to educate people about it is a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
All these developers and companies quoted on the website as saying they don't believe in DRM should pull their games from services like Steam and only use 100% DRM-free services.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
This is the kind of stuff I hate about this culture. Yes DRMs are bad. They really are. I'm not defending them. But creating a website CALLED "Fuck DRM" is just immature petty shit. Can't we argue about things like goddamn adults?

JunkerWoland

Jun 8, 2018
It's a cute little piece of marketing. I wish more of the big publishers would be willing to offer DRM-free PC releases (wish comic book publishers would do the same, as well).

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Note that this list is very much incomplete.

All these developers and companies quoted on the website as saying they don't believe in DRM should pull their games from services like Steam and only use 100% DRM-free services.
You can distribute 100% DRM free games on Steam.
It's actually (marginally) easier than distributing DRM-encumbered games on Steam!

Oct 27, 2017
Man, my adolescent cynicism is flaring up pretty bad reading this. A games retailer, who's main marketing point is DRM free software, takes a stand against DRM?

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
This is the kind of stuff I hate about this culture. Yes DRMs are bad. They really are. I'm not defending them. But creating a website CALLED "Fuck DRM" is just immature petty shit. Can't we argue about things like goddamn adults?
What's there to argue? You said, you also believe that DRMs are bad, so please play devil's advocate and argue for DRM. In the end, there is not much to discuss, it's matter of people noticing what DRM is about. Otherwise we end up in a situation where we discuss it and nothing happens, as with many issues. But making people aware of the issue, may lead to action.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, the name it comes off as a really immature and something an angry child would come up with.
It's a shame though since I like the intent of providing links and info about other non drm material in different media

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do some of you walk around with permanent lemons in your mouths?

It's a catchy 3 letter slogan to go along with "DRM" being 3 letters and it portrays the feeling many have towards unnecessary and over the top DRM, fuck it. It causes issues for the games industry, preservation and at the end of the day does little more than to line the pockets of the likes of Denuvo.

The whole "once I hit 25 years old I stop swearing because I'm a parent/adult" borders on religious puritanism. No, you don't need to swear in life, but please save us the fainting couch attitude towards some bad language.

I don't think you need to think this marketing is objectively SMART either, it's low-ball (fun more than anything), but I don't for one second buy some of the "my adult sensibilities have taken a hit" in this topic.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Don't know what to say. I certainly am anti-drm (former member of FSFE among other things) and have often chosen gog-versions of games because of it. But cdpr, in it's extended entirety, have to get their shit together on Twitter or else I will abandon them.

Oct 27, 2017
flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how DRM is good for consumers at all.

That's not really seeing the reality of it though, apart from some outsiders like CD Project Red. Investors demand to have the companies products safeguarded (for lack of better term on top of my head) so DRM becomes a necessary thing. The worse alternative that absolutely would have a huge impact is always online DRM.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really seeing the reality of it though, apart from some outsiders like CD Project Red. Investors demand to have the companies products safeguarded (for lack of better term on top of my head) so DRM becomes a necessary thing. The worse alternative that absolutely would have a huge impact is always online DRM.

Except DRM doesn't work. Pirates will either crack the game or just not play it. DRM at the end of the day is a money sink that just hurts legitimate customers.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No, you can just launch the game exe from windows explorer and it will work fine (if the game is drm free).
Isn't there some online login requirement going on though? I remember the defense force for XB1 DRM talked a lot about that. A month offline before you have to login again or something like that?