• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Dr. Mario!

220px-Dr._Mario_box_art.jpg

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
This is very brave of them, there are many companies that publish many DRM-Free games on GOG while publishing the rest with DRM on other storefronts, EA for instance, and they are not gonna like this.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
jesus, the amount of people offended by this, is kind of ridiculous. FUCK DRM. Pure and simple. ppl boycotting cdpr over this..my god.

Oct 27, 2017
Except DRM doesn't work. Pirates will either crack the game or just not play it. DRM at the end of the day is a money sink that just hurts legitimate customers.

However I think you, just like me, would prefer todays DRM instead of something worse. I'm more inclined to believe things will become worse the better in this respect. But maybe I'm just pessemistic lol.

Nov 2, 2017
This is very brave of them, there are many companies that publish many DRM-Free games on GOG while publishing the rest with DRM on other storefronts, EA for instance, and they are not gonna like this.
The most recent EA game I see on GoG is Dragon Age Origins, from 2010. It looks like they just put up a bunch of old games because they knew their own platform was shit.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
However I think you, just like me, would prefer todays DRM instead of something worse. I'm more inclined to believe things will become worse the better in this respect. But maybe I'm just pessemistic lol.

I'm mean we're kind of getting that already thanks to so many games requiring a server connection. Plus wether it's always online or not doesn't matter once the server goes down like it did for MGR's MacOS port.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Something I do have issues with:
Why is only GOG listed in the gaming section? Did they deliberately not include itch? That's pretty uncool.

That is bad, true. Itch.io is goddamn awesome, and better than GOG regarding "freedom" as there's no gatekeeping and the devs can set their own cut. Hell, Itch.io should be shown first.

Well, time to make use of the e-amil adress, [email protected], and inform them kindly about itch.io.

Actually itch.io is not eligible, as FCK DRM only lists 100% DRM-free services, while itch.io doesn't have any anti-DRM policy.

Quote from itch.io:
We don't have any issues with you adding copy protection. The way to do it would be to verify with the itch.io API that the person running the game actually owns your game. You can use our server-side API to accomplish that: https://itch.io/docs/api/serverside
I'm not sure whether any developer used this, but still, the option is there, which makes itch.io not eligible.

MIK0

Aug 22, 2018
Actually itch.io is not eligible, as FCK DRM only lists 100% DRM-free services, while itch.io doesn't have any anti-DRM policy.

Quote from itch.io:

I'm not sure whether any developer used this, but still, the option is there, which makes itch.io not eligible.
To be fair, GOG is not 100% DRM-free service either so they don't have a place in there by those rules. They have games with drm multiplayer (while it could be provided with user managed servers like in the past) and some feature locked behind account. And then there is Gwent. They had plenty of occasions for being pro consumer and they didn't them.
To me this is another clumsy pr stunt by GOG, appealing to a young audience, with no real effort put into it.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I will visit their gamescom party on Friday evening and ask them about the campaign.

I really hate DRM when it comes to E-Books, it's a total clusterfuck.
The music industry was also really terrible fifteen years ago, but now all music CDs and MP3s are DRM-free, so they learned their lessson.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Sigh, if they were actually serious about informing about DRM I'd be all for it but doing it in this ham fisted and non serious way might do more harm than good. I mean that url, c'mon gog.