eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
So I hooked up my original N64 (23 years old, lord,) and decided to try some of my games just to see if the save data was still around. Happily, I only lost my original OoT save, but man, this system is ROUGH now, and I used to love it.

To preface, played it on a CRT, so any issues I bring up are as they would have been in 96-02.

Banjo Kazooie:
Mostly fine, frame rate problems pop up often, and even more so in the sequel (like, painfully so.) For all intents and purposes, these are Xbox games now and forever.

Turok 2:
What... Were they thinking. Graphics look nice I guess, but it runs at 7 fps, and when it isn't that low, the controls have a half second of lag! It's basically unplayable, and I get why I cheated every time I played as a kid. Plus, the level design is a disaster. If you must, play the recent versions.

MK4:
What the hell, this game runs and controls great haha, still fun to play even if it's mechanically shite. Would play a rerelease, but this version is fine.

SW:SotE:

Dash Rendar is a paper tank, and the framerate and level design are psycho. Hoth battle is great. Just play Rogue Squadron 2.

F Zero X:
Wonderful experience. Plays great on N64, which I'm very happy about.

Diddy Kong Racing:
Better than MK64 in every respect. Plays fine on N64, luckily, but that's probably due to strong gameplay mechanics.

Perfect Dark:
Love this game, but do not play on N64. Higher difficulties especially are unplayable with the framerate.

Super Mario 64:
Uuuuuuh how'd they do this day one? It's a little ugly now, but it plays perfectly today and is still a ton of fun. It's not as far removed from Odyssey as I had thought either.

But cumulatively, every game was very soft visually and game design of the time was very inconvenient. I feel a little less joy with the system now, and have packed it up for basically eternity at this point. I think the controller is fine, but there's really only a few great games on the system now, and there's better ways to play them. If the games were rereleased on Switch, they really need remasters or remakes, because in their original form, these games are better left in their time. (To me, anyway.)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Turok 2 was one of the most advanced 3D games at the time it launched. It was reaching for the stars but it did not play well at all.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64:
Uuuuuuh how'd they do this day one? It's a little ugly now, but it plays perfectly today and is still a ton of fun. It's not as far removed from Odyssey as I had thought either.

This is probably the biggest surprise every time I replay Mario 64. Aside from the camera being a little wonky it feels perfect. How the hell did they do this?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They made sure F-Zero was 60 FPS. And Mario 64 shows how legendary it is because it still holds up today

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's even more startling when you play 3D platformers that came out before Mario 64 or just right after before the advances had hit home.

Same with action/adventure games before OOT's lock on. Only Megaman Legends 1 figured something workable out before then.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
International Super Star Soccer 64 and the latter ones are rough to play, but they were a fun follow-up from ISSS Deluxe.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I adore Banjo Tooie - I know I'm in the minority here, but I really thought it was fantastic as a ~6th grader - but man, I went back to it maybe three years ago and it was painful. I can click through the slides in a PPT at a faster FPS than that game.

Some games I thought still held up surprisingly well:

Jet Force Gemini outside of the abysmal controls
1080 Snowboarding
Waverace 64
Paper Mario
Yoshi Story
Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode
World Driver Championship
F-Zero X as mentioned
Perfect Dark single player, but again controls are ultra bad compared to modern dual sticks
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, obviously
Mario 64 is insane how well it holds up, as mentioned - it even looks decent on a modern TV with an upscaler
Pokemon Stadium is barebones but the graphics/art hold up

... Play Hey You Pikachu now that you're used to Siri and Google Assistant and Alexa. It's like... hilariously bad. I mean, just - it doesn't even feel real how awful it is, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only game on the whole system that still perfectly holds up and hasn't been released in a better fashion is Paper Mario.

Prove me wrong.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I love the original Smash Brothers. It's still very fun.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I was actually really surprised by how good N64 can look on a decent CRT. Stuff like Mario Kart 64, Tetrisphere, etc. looked way better than I remembered, the colors are so vibrant.

Now that doesn't mean the framerate's good, not by any means. I think with N64 you just have to accept that a lot of games are sub-30 FPS, and either you get used to it or you don't. I feel like having played the N64 so much back in the day I'm sorta inoculated, which is helpful when most modern games are only at 30 it doesn't bother me at all (unless there's weird frame pacing/stuttering).

And yeah, games like Turok 2 and Perfect Dark were pretty notorious back in the day even for having unplayable framerates.

But yeah, spent a bunch of money getting my N64 RGB modded so I could put it through my OSSC and I'm quite pleased with the results. N64 emulation is still not good enough for my tastes, so real hardware is the only real way to go.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Turok 2:
What... Were they thinking. Graphics look nice I guess, but it runs at 7 fps, and when it isn't that low, the controls have a half second of lag! It's basically unplayable, and I get why I cheated every time I played as a kid. Plus, the level design is a disaster. If you must, play the recent versions.
Your other criticisms are spot on, but I beg to differ on the level design bit. I think it's mostly great, barring the undercooked Metroid-esque backtracking element.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the PS1 has probably held up better, aside from hardcore classics like F-Zero X. F-Zero X is amazing.

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
I love the N64 and would buy a mini day one.

Your list is lacking cruising world. Sure it's basically a slideshow but if the most fun I've ever had playing a a co op game (party of 4).

I just want an N64 mini so much :(

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
This is probably the second weakest Nintendo library after the NES imo. OoT and MM are pretty good though, but haven't really aged well in some ways either.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
For all of Turok 2's flaws, it had the Cerebral Bore and that made up for everything.

One game I do like to revisit from time to time is Castlevania 64. It's not great at all, but it has fantastic atmosphere, especially places like The Villa. Some of it was genuinely unsettling.

OP
OP
eraFROMAN

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Your other criticisms are spot on, but I beg to differ on the level design bit. I think it's mostly great, barring the undercooked Metroid-esque backtracking element.
My issue with the level design is that it makes no logical sense; portals just go *somewhere* and keeping track of it all gets overwhelming when the stages are so gigantic. They're fun to explore until you get lost, then the low visibility and lack of direction to get all of the mandatory collectibles really wears the game out quickly. I'm fine with disagreeing though, the lessons learned got us metroid prime, which I love haha

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't see how Mario 64 is ugly. It still looks good imo
The character models are probably the worst part about it.

1700.png

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I just wish I could play my N64 on my Roku TV, but it has the stupid-ass problem where random green lines appear on screen, like it's sending garbage information and the TV doesn't know how to process it, I dunno. It's only this TV, definitely not the console, and I found a report of a single other person who talked about it online lol. It makes me sad D: I'd be willing to by a crappy composite to HDMI converter at this point, something for 5 bucks, just to play it.

OP
OP
eraFROMAN

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
For all of Turok 2's flaws, it had the Cerebral Bore and that made up for everything.

One game I do like to revisit from time to time is Castlevania 64. It's not great at all, but it has fantastic atmosphere, especially places like The Villa. Some of it was genuinely unsettling.
I liked CV 64 as a kid, but I didn't pull it out for this session! I did play some a few years ago and remember tiring of it quickly; it controls like Tomb Raider X Ocarina of Time and is pretty slow and cumbersome because of it. Liked the sound design though.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
N64 has really overtaken the Saturn as the classic system most in need of a good emulator. And to think they had Mario 64 running on PC within a year or two of the system coming out, but there's nothing out there that can brute force every game into behaving well yet.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Mario 64 is ugly. It still looks good imo

even in '95 having screens of the game slooowly downloading to my PC i was kind of astounded how "ugly" it was. like nothing offensive as anything with a polygon was neat back then. and seeing it all in motion was amazing

but yeah game is pretty uggo

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I liked CV 64 as a kid, but I didn't pull it out for this session! I did play some a few years ago and remember tiring of it quickly; it controls like Tomb Raider X Ocarina of Time and is pretty slow and cumbersome because of it. Liked the sound design though.

100% agree. atmosphere was great in CV64. If they had removed the platforming and made it more of a Zelda game, could have been something interesting.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You need to stop your life and play Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I just heard the intro in my head, with that little twinkly music and the "WAAAAVE RACE" announcer and I'm back to being 10 again. What a fantastic game that is.

And that soundtrack?!

It's too good! 1080 too btw.

It's a shame all of Nintendo's sports series died after the GC. They all sharing characters and locations were super neat. RIP the Sportsverse lol

And they all play great too!

OP
OP
eraFROMAN

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I played Wave Race 64 for the first time a little less than a year ago and it totally holds up. Extremely fun game.
I have it too, but didn't pull it out. I feel like the nature of racing games was a match for the N64 and they all mostly hold up okay; no convoluted levels or controls, and they didn't have to be especially detailed lending to lasting playability

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that soundtrack?!

It's too good! 1080 too btw.

It's a shame all of Nintendo's sports series died after the GC. They all sharing characters and locations were super neat. RIP the Sportsverse lol

And they all play great too!

I remember the first time playing WaveRace at my neighbor's house and being just completely blown away by it. The water physics and the bouncing were something I couldn't deal with as a child. Even now, I look at it and I'm just astounded by what they pulled off with the early N64 games. Sure, there were months waits between games but Nintendo consistently delivered at the time.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Turok 1 and 2 are among my most cherished memories of the good ol ShiftySix. Especially T2. I couldn't believe how detailed and massive it was. I've got lots of memories of other games, sure, but Turok 1 and 2 stand out among the pack. I recently got a switch, and the first games I bought were both remasters, and that's all I've been playing since I got them. I can't hold all these feels I'm having.