• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Let me sum up how I got myself into this situation.

My friend and I went out to a club and she got this girl's attention and we all started drinking together. My friend was translator that night.

I speak very minimal Spanish and this girl thought it was the cutest thing and told my friend that she was really into me.

So, now I'm taking her out tonight and Idk how this even works haha.
Body language is my specialty but how far does that really get you? We've already made out a bunch of times so I'm not "first date nervous," I'm just curious as to how this is even manageable in the long run. Is it even? Or should I keep it as a fling?

Call for help.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like a sitcom. It's probably not manageable unless you both like each other enough to learn each other's languages. You need something to communicate.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Let me sum up how I got myself into this situation.

My friend and I went out to a club and she got this girl's attention and we all started drinking together. My friend was translator that night.

I speak very minimal Spanish and this girl thought it was the cutest thing and told my friend that she was really into me.

So, now I'm taking her out tonight and Idk how this even works haha.
Body language is my specialty but how far does that really get you? We've already made out a bunch of times so I'm not "first date nervous," I'm just curious as to how this is even manageable in the long run. Is it even? Or should I keep it as a fling?

Call for help.

Seems like a great thing to bond over, you both can learn how to communicate. You could literally be her gateway into fully understanding English. That's a very strong emotional anchor.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just because she is hot I'm guessing? I know looks matter to many but don't be that shallow lol

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the chemistry is there it can work. Just try to have fun.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Not often where people have to recommend throwing the typical first date playbook out the window

Go clubbing again? Somewhere with loud music? I don't think there's a long term play here but room to have fun.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
This is why it's important to take Spanish class in junior/high school.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
SAG2mEH.gif

That's how your translator friend was looking when you and that girl met.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Ask her teach you a bit, it could be a great time to learn and she would be more than happy to teach you.

Isn't Spanish one of the easiest languages to learn?

Yes and no. Spanish had a lot of words in which context is super important. Also, the same word can have super different meanings depending on the country; and, the same object can be called totally different.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Look into her eyes and say: "Vivo en el sótano de mis padres"

Then top it off with "Te gustaría saber cuan lejos ha llegado la industria de los videojuegos en los últimos años?"

It won't fail

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't a pre-curser for a date with someone who speaks a different language from your native one be, like, at least being able to speak some of that language?

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I've used Google Translate on my phone in situations like this before. Remember to keep your sentences and words fairly simple or else things will get confusing.

Kinda just sounds like she wants to bang anyway. If you find yourself or her getting annoyed, quickly move on to something that doesn't involve much talking.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I did a similar thing with someone who spoke French many years ago, and I spoke very little French (even less now, I've forgotten practically all of it), but we had an amazing time, ended up taking some LSD and hanging out in a forest until the sun came up. I imagine your experience will be quite different, but she knows what shes getting herself into and you'd be amazed how you can communicate and still have fun when you both don't share a language, its fun trying to figure things out and coming up with little games, you can really build a unique connection.

You'll have a good time, and the very worst you'll have a good story about the entire thing, as will she.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Worth a shot for the story I guess, but you already know it's gonna get awkward fast.

I'm also assuming you find her very attractive. Brush up on some Spanish and have some notes on you during the date.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look at her in the eyes, and whisper very sensually

"tengo una enfermedad de transmision sexual que es muy contagiosa"

she'll fall for you right there and then.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fun, honestly. Just don't expect her to teach you Spanish as if that's her responsibility.