• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've decided that I've had enough of the clutter.

I've got 370000 notebooks for 370000 things. Printouts, slides, magazines, articles.

I want to transition to just 1 portable device. I need to be able to read on it. Take notes with ease. Mark and highlight pdf's and word files. E-mails. Etc.

So in the first place I was thinking maybe a surface with a detachable keyboard?

But I have no idea what's the best solution these days.

Any advice appreciated!

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So I've decided that I've had enough of the clutter.

I've got 370000 notebooks for 370000 things. Printouts, slides, magazines, articles.

I want to transition to just 1 portable device. I need to be able to read on it. Take notes with ease. Mark and highlight pdf's and word files. E-mails. Etc.

So in the first place I was thinking maybe a surface with a detachable keyboard?

But I have no idea what's the best solution these days.

Any advice appreciated!

Well, it really comes down to personal taste and needs. I'd say an iPad or iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil would suit you best - but a Surface would also be good. I think these two options are the best and I wouldn't look further. Now, which Surface or which iPad - it depends on how much are you willing to spend.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Yeah probably a detachable 2-in-1, doesn't necessarily have to be a surface but that was the first thing I thought when I read your title. I'm currently in the market for one myself though so can't give you any specific recommendations.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Look, I'm the biggest Android and Windows fan, but Apple has 100% won the tablet market, no doubt about it. I currently don't have/need a tablet, but if I were to get one, it would be an iPad Pro.

For what you are describing, an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil would be ideal. Also, a detachable keyboard but later.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
For tablets Apple is the only company that's really relevant.

There are like a million different 2in1 laptops out there.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Surface with pen + OneNote. I wish I could have had one of these in grad school. I tried the iPad route and it was awful.

Oct 25, 2017
For reading just text: Kindle Paperwhite
For reading, photos videos etc: Tablet, probably a cheaper iPad
For reading and writing: A Surface or small laptop.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
For the best flexibility, Surface or another 2-in-1 will be the best solution. iPad Pro is better at most things as far as being a tablet goes (reading, content consumption, ease of use) but the Surface will be better for doing anything with PDFs, Word documents, or email.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Have the 10.5 inch ipad pro and have had the older 9.7 inch ipads -- they're surprisingly small for pdf reading. If you're serious about reading pdfs and especially making handwritten notes, I wouldn't go with one of the smaller ipads. That said, at 12.9, the larger ipad pro is pretty unwieldy based on my brief hands-on at an apple store and at that point may not offer enough portability upside to take it over a 2-in-1 laptop that would offer more power/versatility.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend uses the most recent iPad Air (+ApplePencil), with a folio case (like 19 bucks) and a Bt keyboard.

GoodNotes is a fantastic app.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards a surface based on your comments. I'm constantly using pdf's, word docs, presentations. So I think the surface would be an upside over the accessibility of the iOS apps on a tablet.

That being said, how does the surface fair in tablet mode? And how is the detachable keyboard?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Look, I'm the biggest Android and Windows fan, but Apple has 100% won the tablet market, no doubt about it. I currently don't have/need a tablet, but if I were to get one, it would be an iPad Pro.

For what you are describing, an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil would be ideal. Also, a detachable keyboard but later.

This is unquestionably the best option available right now... And I'm far from an Apple fan.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Has anybody tried a note phone for this? I'm in the same boat as OP, but I kinda want a new phone too.

May 25, 2019
London
If you're looking for productivity related use cases only as outlined in your OP (taking notes, sending emails, marking up PDFs, etc.) I think a Surface Pro or even the Surface X would be a good device for you. It has the better version of OneNote and a better detachable keyboard. Also, the hinge allowing you to open it to any position is really nice - I get frustrated with my IPad Pro's folio for only having two positions to rest it.

But if you want the apps, you have to go iPad Pro. And a lot of those apps make the iPad a really nice companion device. I download shows using Xfinity, Netflix, Prime Video, or even now Hulu to watch on the train; I use Lucidchart to create diagrams for work; I read news through Washington Post/NBC News apps, etc.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
With all the ipad recommendations What really is the advantage of ipad pro for productivity over surface pro or x? Especially seeing that Microsoft makes once note, excel, pp and word

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I got a surface pro with the pen and keyboard and took it back next day. Its too damn bulky and uncomfortable. It just doesnt feel right.

I got an ipad air 3 and 1st gen pencil with the logitech smart keyboard and havent looked back.

Oct 25, 2017
México
With all the ipad recommendations What really is the advantage of ipad pro for productivity over surface pro or x? Especially seeing that Microsoft makes once note, excel, pp and word
For professional productivity, not really (for example, let's say you need to do 3D modeling, Solid Edge, full Adobe suite). A laptop (Windows/Mac) would be better.

But that OP mentioned is more consumption and light work than professional work. So, an iPad Pro would be better suited for those needs.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards a surface based on your comments. I'm constantly using pdf's, word docs, presentations. So I think the surface would be an upside over the accessibility of the iOS apps on a tablet.

That being said, how does the surface fair in tablet mode? And how is the detachable keyboard?

The keyboard on the newer ones is pretty great, but it's bulky and unwieldy as a tablet. Also Microsoft never really got good tablet apps figured out from 3rd parties so the iPad will blow it away in regards to that.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMHO get a laptop. It will give you everything you need in addition to allowing you to write/compile code if you ever need that option.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ideally, I'd want something the Weight and size of a MacBook air 13 inch.

With a touchscreen and a detachable keyboard that doesn't suck.

Jun 20, 2019
iPad is great and fits my needs very well.
IMHO get a laptop. It will give you everything you need in addition to allowing you to write/compile code if you ever need that option.
You can code on iPad through SSH using a bash terminal app like Blink, if you're comfortable with Vim. You can also use VS Code in Safari running on a web server. If you're doing Python data analysis stuff you can code in Jupyter Notebook running locally with Juno. And, of course, Remote Desktop is an option if you absolutely must use VS 2019 or some other PC-bound IDE.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait.. doesn't anybody offer a keyboard that supports the weight of the screen without a stand?

Because that stand is a bit of a deal-breaker...

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
A Surface Pro for sure. If you're dealing with a lot of files of different types, it would be a massive pain dealing with some tablet OS and not have the flexibility of a full fledged Windows. Case in point - I saw a test of an ipad using a mouse via bluetooth (ipadOS). The cursor was a round circle the size of a fingertip. Yeah, 'computer replacement'.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Wait.. doesn't anybody offer a keyboard that supports the weight of the screen without a stand?

Because that stand is a bit of a deal-breaker...
Only if you buy one that has a 360 degrees hinge and not a detachable keyboard, but those are bulky.

I think your perfect device would be the new Microsoft Surface Neo and its magnetic keyboard, but it is still one year away. If you can wait that long, it is going to be an amazing product.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
If its just reading and taking notes and you want long battery life you should consider the eink devices from Boyue or the EPad kickstarter Shipping now. Its full Android so you can BT a keyboard or mouse and download and install apps for RDP etc. Writing is amazing on these devices. I have a Boyue Likebook and its completely replaced writing pads for me. I use it to read manga and comic books and my Kindle library. I also have it linked to my local library to check out ebooks. And to read and post in this forum at times.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
iPad Pro with Apple Pencil.

The tablet experience on Windows and Android is miserable.
Yup iPad Pro is honestly the best experience you'll get and it's exactly what you're looking for. Android hasn't supported a tablet in forever, and surfaces are just not there for PDF support like how Apple has it setup.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yup iPad Pro is honestly the best experience you'll get and it's exactly what you're looking for. Android hasn't supported a tablet in forever, and surfaces are just not there for PDF support like how Apple has it setup.

It's frustrating that W10 still doesn't have native support for PDFs. Apple figured this stuff out nearly 20 years ago, I really don't understand what Microsoft are playing at.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I use a Surface Pro with the pen and the Office 365 Notes app for this exact purpose. Haven't written on paper in months. That said, I think the iPad ecosystem works a bit better out of the box; definitely had to do a bunch of tinkering, and I have access to Office 365 through work.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I'm allergic to Apple but the 12.9 iPad is bliss. Even the 2017 model is still very fast, and iPadOS significantly improves the experience: the Pencil is now effectively zero-lag. You can choose between many different note-taking apps (the pre-installed one is not that great). Weight is not an issue, it is a bit unwieldy though.

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's frustrating that W10 still doesn't have native support for PDFs. Apple figured this stuff out nearly 20 years ago, I really don't understand what Microsoft are playing at.
Honestly insane, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's because they had patents on it.
They had. Don't you remember Microsoft Reader? It was readily available on Windows 8 and Windows 10 natively. But they removed it with an update in favor to Edge. I really don't know why Microsoft removed the app; it was perfect. There are ways to reinstall it.

7XJkGeG.png

AbqJaGw.png

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
They had. Don't you remember Microsoft Reader? It was readily available on Windows 8 and Windows 10 natively. But they removed it with an update in favor to Edge. I really don't know why Microsoft removed the app; it was perfect. There are ways to reinstall it.

It's not just the lack of a reader pre-installed on Windows 10: with macOS PDF support has been baked into the OS from inception so any developer can tap into that to make their app render or output to PDF.

Not even Outlook on Windows 10 can natively render a PDF (you have to install Adobe Acrobat, no other third party app will work), it's beyond ridiculous!

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never been a big Apple product fan, I picked up an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil not too long ago and am absolutely in love with it.

It does everything you're wanting perfectly imo.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
If you're really set on needing the best keyboard for a two-in-one, then it's the Surface, otherwise, I'd probably say iPad just for the more tablet focused apps.

If you're wanting a two-in-one that can be supported by the keyboard without a stand... I can only really think of the Surface Book but they're probably a bit bulky. I've never found the stand to be a problem really. I actually use the stand to hook the Surface over my knees when sitting on my sofa, heh.

If you're wanting to do any portable PC gaming, definitely a Surface though, that's what keeps me on Windows.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Surface is probably your best best. Maybe one of the Apple laptops. Both provide everything in a small bundle, including stencil (or Pencil :) ) if you require it. Also not much fuss with either. They boot quickly, have long battery lives, are light, etc.

If you're only looking for something to use at home a Chromebook is a nice solution. Plenty provide many of the features of the Surface and Macbooks but for half the price.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for iPad or Surface. You could snag a 2019 standard iPad and a gen 1 pencil for sub $400. I'm not familiar with what's offered for Surface, but I'd be willing to bet you could find something in that price range for sure.

From there it's a matter of preference. Windows is Windows. We all know how to use it, and a boatload of stuff is available for it. iPadOS feels great to use FWIW, and I use Notability for all of my note taking needs ($13 USD). I used to have a Surface, and I thought it was the shit too. So again, it really boils down to which OS you want. You'll probably want the type cover for the Surface, which will run extra. iPads are made to be used without keyboards, but there are plenty of options there too.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
More marking than writing> ipad
More writing than marking> notebook

To be fair you could have a cheaper iPad (not the Pro), with Apple pencil support and a decent laptop for writing, won't cost you a fortune. The problem with iPads is that storage is expensive so it might be cheaper to go this route.

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I do capture on paper and then load it into my computer.

I do my reading ( 53 books this year! ) On an ipad

I do my gaming in my computer and switch.

Would really love something to bring them all together.

Thinking is a surface pro 7 but I want to know what I can expect it to run. ( Hades? Dark Souls? Pillars of Eternity 2? Etc. )

iPad is nice but it is a far cry from a full computer. The sidekick functionality is cool though. But the games are BAD BAD BAD.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely iPad Pro + Pencil, you won't regret it. Did the same transition to paperless when I bought the 10,5" Pro when it was released and it was so effortless. iPadOS makes the best even better by a whole lot.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019

Yes. I did this last year and an recommended iPad Pro and Apple Pencil for going paperless.