• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to go without meat in my diet somewhere around winter 2016. I lasted all of a good three days. But right now, I'm about to approach four months without it. The biggest reason why it worked this IMO is there's so many food options that don't involve meat now. There's vegan substitutes for meat that they sell at even Aldi right now. Food that became memes like kale and açai berries are available almost everywhere if you live in in the city. Even Burger King just rolled out their Impossible Whopper, and folks, that shit tastes GOOD.

With climate change and ecological disaster coming if things don't change, taking meat out of your diet does a sizeable impact for the environment. Taking dairy out every more so. Sales for both industries are falling, and if we can get more people eating veggie through the years, we could collectively reduce our carbon footprint by God knows how much.

What about you? Do you feel it's easier than ever in 2019 to go meatless?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they can come up with an artificial chicken substitute that's as filling as real meat I'd probably be done with meat.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like vegetarian and vegan food, but it'd be hard for me to give up fish

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Going on a year and a half as a vegetarian

Yea, it's actually been incredibly easy. Even random diners in the middle of nowhere have had plenty I could enjoy.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My country is currently living a similar process. There's way more vegan and veggie option than 4 years ago (time when I went vegan)

I like this trend and I try a lot of new food as well. But I primarily make my own food because the prices are a bit higher than regular food.

I hope this trend keeps its momentum. And Welcome to vegan life style! I hope you stay!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It is. It's quite a wonderful sight seeing so many options out there now.

If only people could start drastically cutting back meat.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
vegan/vegetarian is definitely viable over here in the bay area, but im on that college student food budget which includes meat sometimes

I actually don't have a strong opinion on this topic tho, im just here because seeing Bronx-Man's av on the front page cracks me up

bud

Oct 27, 2017
tried it out for about a month. being a vegetarian is pretty easy, but being a vegan isn't. not for me at least.

i just can't live without dairy products and cheese.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
We've come a long way since I became a vegetarian in 95, feels good.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I decided to give going vegetarian an month to see how it felt. Had stomach aches and issues first few weeks. But things are better now. Closing in on the fourth week now. I think I keep on doing it. Don't really miss the meat. The options are so much better now. Has been a breeze really both eating out and cooking at home

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I personally don't feel like meat tastes any less good in 2019 than it did 20 years ago, but vegetarian food has gotten better...I still like meat though.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I eat a lot less meat than I used to. I'd say I only eat meat 10-15% of the time versus having it with almost every meal a couple years ago.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gave up meat in early 2018 and it's been surprisingly easy to stick with it. I'm really surprised that I don't miss it at all.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm approaching a year as a vegetarian and I feel like I hardly changed my lifestyle. It doesn't hurt that there a ton of great veggie options around my city, but it's shocking how I really don't even think about it anymore.

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've been vegetarian for a while now and I love it, and I don't think I'll ever go back.

I also agree that it's easier now than ever with all of the options. That being said, a lot of the substitution food is pretty bad for you from a caloric/processed perspective (although convenient and delicious... and you're not eating animals).

Essentially, we just eat lots of vegetables and prepare our own vegetarian meals now (with the occasional "fast food" substitute every now and then).

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have been able to do it 10 years ago. Huge respect to those who paved the way for it being so damn easy.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
HOT TIP
Vegan sausage is surprising very similar tasting to the real thing. I guess it has to do with the spices used? Try out Trader Joe's vegan sausage.

tj+sausage-less+sausage.JPG

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I could go meatless but until they get a good cheese substitute there's no way in hell I could personally go vegan.

I haven't gone meatless though, just drastically reduce. I eat fish at home and when I rarely eat out I might have meat. Otherwise I don't really. In the grand scheme I find that to be a good compromise.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's way easier, especially as someone who lives in San Francisco. Ain't gonna happen on my end, though.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Planning on going vegan after my trip to Japan in october. I tied several times but the options weren't that available for me. Now? Every places around me got several vegan options. No excuses anymore (if you live in a first world capital I guess).

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
As ground-beef/fast-food-loving person who went vegetarian out of the love and admiration of my SO in 2013, I'm thriving with good faux-ground-beef going mainstream in 2019 outside of the frozen food aisle. I've followed the entire run of Beyond Meat starting with their awkward "Beast Burger" and Impossible pushing out press releases endlessly about their elusive bleeding veggie burger.

So yes, it is convenient now if I wanna eat Americana fast food - and I do - so that's dope. It's only gonna get better from here, with more varieties of faux-animal-products.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Good for you, OP.

Vegan since January, was vegetarian for most of last year.

I love it. I prep my own meals, save tons of cash on food each week and have dropped around 50 pounds (and counting) over the last year, the bulk of that coming in the last 8 months.

That said, I did have meat on Thanksgiving and Christmas as I was with my family and they're still wrapping their brains around my dietary turn. I have no real desire to ever eat though. Don't crave it, don't miss it and thanks to non-dairy cheese and ice cream I don't have to miss those treats either.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Speaking from my lactose intolerance, lots of work still needs to be done on the vegan dairy options. Vegan cheese and the sort are all doodoo.